Camelback Elixir

Kit Fox

I recently got to try out this product on a 11.5 mile hike. I was very impressed by the taste. The "Camelbak Bladder" flavor was completely gone. Bladder clean-up was a cinch. The downside is that they are a bit pricey.

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware of this product, but it looks good. It's sugar-free, which accounts for the easy cleanup. At hiking levels of exertion, sugar isn't necessarily the best fuel anyway.

I may try it sometime, though I have found my own electrolyte-replacement Nirvana in the form of 12-ounce plastic bottles of V8 . I'll grant that the taste is something you either love or hate, but a cold V8 really hits the spot when you've sweated out a lot of salt.

Crystal Light - iced tea in my CamelBak please. I get the mega packs (not the little single serving packs) from sams club. Used mine every day last summer when I was helping the brother-in-law. Make it the night before & throw it in the fridge and it's good nearly all day or until 3L is gone.

A true lifesaver no matter what you use.

I NEVER put mixes into my camelbak. All I ever have to do with my bladder is rinse it and dry it.

I do use Gookinade Hydralite (bought from REI). I used it on some hot, strenuous hikes this summer and it actually eliminates the headaches I can get during such activities. I just carry a plastic bottle for the mix.

I NEVER put mixes into my camelbak. All I ever have to do with my bladder is rinse it and dry it.

I'm with you there. However, Nalgene makes a very inexpensive collapasible canteen now. The 100 oz. canteen will actually hold 3L. I used that to mix 3 zip fizzies together for a day's electrolyte replenishment. I also outfit the Nalgene with a tube adapted lid and it packs and works just like a bladder. The camelbak tube goes over one shoulder for water, and the canteen tube goes over the other shoulder for the quick energy fix. The canteen cleans easy with a quick shake and I replace it after a season's use.

There's also a competitive product by NUUN.

I've used them both and find them both to be extremely helpful. I normally carry plenty of water on long hikes (10 mile range), but find that 2-4L of water gets very heavy on the stomach.

I really like having the electrolyte replacements these offer without having to carry additional bottles of Gatorade, etc. I still carry things like powerbars, GU, etc. but I've found that I feel much better on the 10-mile 4,500 foot elevation gain hikes when using these products.

Ini addition, cleanup has never been an issue. When I get home I simply put water in the bladder and shake it up before draining it. Haven't had an issue yet.

Big fan.

I recently got to try out this product on a 11.5 mile hike. I was very impressed by the taste. The "Camelbak Bladder" flavor was completely gone. Bladder clean-up was a cinch. The downside is that they are a bit pricey.

I recently purchased a second camelbak unbottle bladder for my pack and have been very curious about the Elixir and what everybody thought of it. I haven't put any type of electrolyte drink in my bladder yet but I do carry along some Gatorade in a nalgene. I must try this product out for those longer treks in the heat while exploring the Badlands.

There's also a competitive product by NUUN.

I've used them both and find them both to be extremely helpful. I normally carry plenty of water on long hikes (10 mile range), but find that 2-4L of water gets very heavy on the stomach.

I really like having the electrolyte replacements these offer without having to carry additional bottles of Gatorade, etc. I still carry things like powerbars, GU, etc. but I've found that I feel much better on the 10-mile 4,500 foot elevation gain hikes when using these products.

Ini addition, cleanup has never been an issue. When I get home I simply put water in the bladder and shake it up before draining it. Haven't had an issue yet.

Big fan.

Speaking of which, we need to get together on another hike. :(

Having used my Camelbak on active duty with the Army, I agree that immediate maintenance is required after usage and before your hydration pack becomes a biology experiment. However, I have had great success with the Gatorade powdered product. Putting just about any liquid product such as Gatorade or Powerade won't give you much problem, it's the powdered versions that will give you trouble later on. Most need you to continuously mix them up to prevent the solids from settling to the bottom. I've found that the (powdered) Gatorade product, when used as directed, worked fine in my Camelbak. No clogging, tasted the same throughout. Here's what you need to do after each time you put anything but water in the bladder: Totally disasemble the unit, disconnect all drinking tubes, flush the bladder with hot (if possible) water, rinse the drink tube with (hot) water, soak the bite tube in (hot), exercising the nipple. If you do that, you should have no need for any special mixtures.

I do use Gookinade Hydralite (bought from REI). I used it on some hot, strenuous hikes this summer and it actually eliminates the headaches I can get during such activities. I just carry a plastic bottle for the mix.

Got some Gookinade "cool citrus" today to try. Read alot of great reviews for this product, seems like there are some die hard fans. I didnt care to much for the flavor, but then again maybe I mixed it wrong. I get at least 79 more servings to work that out. Anyway what is the best flavor you have tried?

Got some Gookinade "cool citrus" today to try. Read alot of great reviews for this product, seems like there are some die hard fans. I didnt care to much for the flavor, but then again maybe I mixed it wrong. I get at least 79 more servings to work that out. Anyway what is the best flavor you have tried?

I used the Gookinaid mix alot when I spent a summer at the Grand Canyon. When you just mix it at home and try it, it tastes awful, but when on the trail and you are hot and thirsty, it tastes awesome. I don't know the reason. It's great for replenishing your electrolytes especially when in dry, hot climates. My favorite was the Lemonade flavor.

I used the Gookinaid mix alot when I spent a summer at the Grand Canyon. When you just mix it at home and try it, it tastes awful, but when on the trail and you are hot and thirsty, it tastes awesome. I don't know the reason. It's great for replenishing your electrolytes especially when in dry, hot climates. My favorite was the Lemonade flavor.

Thanks for the tip. I know what you mean. The first time I ever had beef stew was while camping and it tasetd amazing. Got home and told the wife we had to have it for dinner sometime. When we did....nasty! Well I didnt want to wait until I hit a trail to try the gookinade so I made it at the office and drank it when I probably didnt need it. I look forward to trying it on the trail! I live in AZ and a hot summer is just around the corner. Lemonade sounds good, I didnt see it at the store or I might have got that flavor. I guess I will stick to propel poweder mix at the office and the leave the gookinade for the trail. In the mean time I will make sure I am carefull about how much I mix in. Thanks again

I hope this doesnt change the topic to much, but I was wondering how you all felt about other enhancment products, such as protein drinks, muscle milk was what I saw the other day, and such. After some hikes/caches I do my body really is beat. I always wonder the bennifit of this stuff to help build muscle vs how dangerous it might be due to lack of research. I have heard horror storys from people who have taken keratin. I know there is a difference (as far as motives) between recovering from a long hard hike and body builders trying to look stronger. So I guess my question is... is this stuff safe and does it have any bennifit for hikers who get an intense workout while geocaching?

I hope this doesnt change the topic to much, but I was wondering how you all felt about other enhancment products, such as protein drinks, muscle milk was what I saw the other day, and such. After some hikes/caches I do my body really is beat. I always wonder the bennifit of this stuff to help build muscle vs how dangerous it might be due to lack of research. I have heard horror storys from people who have taken keratin. I know there is a difference (as far as motives) between recovering from a long hard hike and body builders trying to look stronger. So I guess my question is... is this stuff safe and does it have any bennifit for hikers who get an intense workout while geocaching?

It's true that your body uses protein more efficiently during the first hour or so right after an intense workout, to rebuild damaged muscle fibers; that much they've proven. Beyond that, chemicals and muscle drinks go in and out of style like Disney Channel TV shows. I don't think it makes a difference whether you're drinking a store-brand protein shake or a flashy brand-name libation. Find a flavor you like, and get it into your belly after you're done working out.

I have talked with a friend who is a Personal Trainer at our local gym and also does quite a bit of hiking and I was told that the best thing you can do is to eat something high in protein about half an hour before your hike and about 30 minutes afterwards. He wasn't specific on anything in liquid form, but did recommend some of the protein bars available at most stores such as Kashi's "Go Lean" bars, or Clif Bars (Luna Bars for the ladies). It will definently help give your muscles energy during hikes and during recovery after.