Loading maps

To answer your question, I find that a single 1 GB card loaded with a mix of street and topo maps handles my driving, motorcycling, bicycling, and hiking needs well enough. Even though it would be nice to have all the US roads on a single card, in reality, I have never taken a trip that hit more than 10 states total. I like the convience of switching between streets and topo without changing cards (which, for the Garmin 60CSx, means removing the batteries and recalibrating the compass).

Edited by Glenn W

would the best way to do this, is to get multiple 1gb cards and have Nav on 1 and topo on 1 and blue chart on 1.......ect :huh:

There has been a lot of discussion on this in the past, it really comes down to how much you travel (such as with work) and personal preference. I use the 1 Gb card, but only because they were so much cheaper as compared to the 2 Gb cards, but that has all changed now. Due to being able to buy a 2 Gb card for less than $20 now, I'd go with 2 Gb memory card.

Switching between cards is not difficult but why do it if you can keep from it? Personally, I'd load most of the U.S. in CN NT maps and just leave out the states you know you probably won't be going to and pick and choose the U.S. Topo maps for the areas that you think you may visit and do the same for Blue Chart.

Be sure to leave some available memory for POI files and also for storing Track Logs to the memory card.

would the best way to do this, is to get multiple 1gb cards and have Nav on 1 and topo on 1 and blue chart on 1.......ect :huh:

There has been a lot of discussion on this in the past, it really comes down to how much you travel (such as with work) and personal preference. I use the 1 Gb card, but only because they were so much cheaper as compared to the 2 Gb cards, but that has all changed now. Due to being able to buy a 2 Gb card for less than $20 now, I'd go with 2 Gb memory card.

Switching between cards is not difficult but why do it if you can keep from it? Personally, I'd load most of the U.S. in CN NT maps and just leave out the states you know you probably won't be going to and pick and choose the U.S. Topo maps for the areas that you think you may visit and do the same for Blue Chart.

Be sure to leave some available memory for POI files and also for storing Track Logs to the memory card.

I just purchased a Vista HCx (has not arrived yet). I currently use a Garmin PDA/GPS system. I am looking to have something more rugged (take it in my kayak) and longer battery life. I'm interested in the multiple maps info. If I understand this correct, I can use both my City Navigator maps (needed for routing?) and the TOPO maps. Can these be viewed at the same time (overlayed)? If not, how difficult is it to switch from one mapset to the other?

Can these be viewed at the same time (overlayed)? If not, how difficult is it to switch from one mapset to the other?

Street and topo maps cannot be viewed at the same time; you have to switch between map sets. This is easy to do on a 60CSX (see the FAQs), and I suspect it is easy on a Vista as well.

Edited by Glenn W

Can these be viewed at the same time (overlayed)? If not, how difficult is it to switch from one mapset to the other?

Street and topo maps cannot be viewed at the same time; you have to switch between map sets. This is easy to do on a 60CSX (see the FAQs), and I suspect it is easy on a Vista as well.

The menus on the Vista HCx are the same as on the 60CSx, just a different button setup to change screens. Switching between map sets is very simple, if on the Map screen - you just press whatever is required to go to: Menu > Setup Map > Map Setup-Information > Menu > and Hide or Show which ever map set you are wanting to use. There is a map hierarchy discussed in other threads that you'll find worth reading.