60C light flicker/intermittent backlight!

vfrpilot

I've had my60c for about 3 years now - no complaints.

It goes from my Jeep to my Supercrew to the trail daily.

I've noticed, in the last few days, that my backlight now seems intermittent?!?! Sometimes it works, sometimes not - lately more often not........

At 1st I checked my display settings, but nothing was changed? I sometimes adjust certain settings when out of a vehicle and on a trail or canoe.

Now that I think of it.. (just as I type this), I DID do a web update Friday or Sat while looking for an old waypoint from a canoe trip last October!!! Could this be it? or is she simply going? Tell me people?

the backlight is a major prioirity for me.

All suggestions are appreciated!

TIA

The backlight isn't a single light, but is actually multiple white LEDs, which basically never wear out and are shock proof (since they are solid state). On my eTrex they can be seen by looking up into the top edge of the display. There are 4 of them.

You either have a loose connection between the display and mainboard, or conceivably a software glitch, since the backlight is of course software controlled. A hard reset might be in order, if you have things backed up and can easily restore. Rolling back the firmware would be another thing to try, if that is possible.

If it still doesn't work then it is probably a physical problem. In that case I would think bumping or jarring the unit would cause the backlight to flicker on and off.

Dan

The backlight isn't a single light, but is actually multiple white LEDs, which basically never wear out and are shock proof (since they are solid state). On my eTrex they can be seen by looking up into the top edge of the display. There are 4 of them.

You either have a loose connection between the display and mainboard, or conceivably a software glitch, since the backlight is of course software controlled. A hard reset might be in order, if you have things backed up and can easily restore. Rolling back the firmware would be another thing to try, if that is possible.

If it still doesn't work then it is probably a physical problem. In that case I would think bumping or jarring the unit would cause the backlight to flicker on and off.

Dan

Thanks Dan -

A hard reset might do the trick?!?

How do I go about that exactly? - I never had to

Hard reset instructions are here.

I'm not sure how much more power it consumes. If I have time later today I'll hook my GPSr up to the multimeter and check the amperage under various conditions. My hunch is that it at least doubles power consumption under full brightness.

Dan

My one year old 60CSx recently started doing the same thing. At first I attributed it simply to low battery power so I put in a fresh set but it was still having the problem. Did a hard reset and so far it seems to have solved the problem.

haven't did it yet... Did you recently do a web/firmware update as well?? :laughing: