Magellan Customer Service

I have not searched the forums in depth, but it appears to be the general consensus that Magellan Customer Service leaves a whole lot to be desired. (I tend to understate problems.)

I started pursueing a new USB cable for my Explorist 400 on 8/21/07 while on a road trip. I still don't have the cable despite multiple calls to tech support. It was still under warrenty when I started this ordeal.

After 3-4 weeks of getting conflicting stories, I purchased a card reader for my SD card so that I can at least download onto that. The cable still works for charging but now that is even getting a little touchy and depends on how it is held.

Needless to say, I am now getting more desperate for my cable. I ordered a cable online, but cancelled the order because it was backordered from Magellan. At some point in Sept. Magellan admitted that it was backordered even though it had previously been shipped 3 or 4 times without reaching me.

I finally tried calling the customer support number because even the supervisors at tech support were making promises that did not come to pass. Customer support listened to my complaint but gave me several of the same stories tech support gave. They did give me a # for "Corp Office" though so that I could lodge a complaint.

I called (408) 615-5100 and picked the option for Press Relations/ Donations. The person I talked to said that it really wasn't her job, but she was willing to take notes and send an email to tech support that would elevate my case to a more urgent status. (You think with my multiple calls asking for the supervisor or the supervisor would have already elevated it to that status.)

Purpose of post is to give other with this problem a route to get around the endless circle of tech support. She did say that she has received other calls like this.

I will let you know how my case turns out. ;)

I realize you are pursuing a warranty replacement and are just reporting on the difficulty so far. But...if you need it, third party Explorist cables are available at PC-Mobile.

Does "third party" mean that they make their own and don't get them through Magellan? My SD card reader is working ok right now. Might pursue this option if the power cord portion fails. Couldn't find telephone # for PC-Mobile so I couldn't find out if they were in stock.

Update on OP: I received a call from the "shipping department" today. The person stated that he couldn't figure out how tech support had messed this up, but he was overnighting the cable to me today. He even clarified my e-mail so he could send me the tracking number. :wub: Problem is that was 9am this morning and I have not received the tracking number yet. More to follow.....

Update on OP: I received a call from the "shipping department" today. The person stated that he couldn't figure out how tech support had messed this up, but he was overnighting the cable to me today. He even clarified my e-mail so he could send me the tracking number. :surprise: Problem is that was 9am this morning and I have not received the tracking number yet. More to follow.....

Did you check your spam/junk e-mail folder?

John

Well, the cable finally got to me!!!! Called the Corporate Number on Tuesday and got the cable on Friday!

Now, I will never now whether it was this special phone call or whether my two months of persistent badgering finally paid off. (I suspect it was the call to Corporate Office.) I challenged them to listen to all of my calls since August for Quality Assurance Purposes.

So, if you want results maybe you too can try this: (408) 615-5100 and picked the option for Press Relations/ Donations.

When I got my Explorist 500LE they included the wrong USB cable. It was a regular type USB cable (like would fit a camera or such) instead of the Explorist screw into the back of the unit type. I called up Magellan customer service and explained the situation. "I need this cable, but it came with this cable. Part number #####." They took a bunch of my information, including serial number, where and when I purchased it, etc. I had the proper cable at my door within days! That was back in June of this year. I know everyone harps on Magellan customer service but I didn't have any problems. Maybe I just got lucky.

Now later on I tried to order a Magellan battery and adapter from GPSCentral, they were backordered and had appeared to have been that way for months. I eventually cancelled that order and went to ebay for 3rd party accessories. Got them with no problems, and they were alot cheaper.

That's just my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers!

I just bought an additional cable for my my 400 off of ebay to permanently attach to my swivel mount. There's plenty of usb/power cables listed on there for cheap, just make sure you order the right one.

If you don't trust ebay, PC Connection has them at pretty good prices.

For such a limited use proprietary connector, they are pretty easy to find.

Edited by Walt Jabsco

I am in the same boat with Magellan Customer Service and about on the same time line. I have been waiting for about 2 months for a new USB cable and have called for information regarding it about 6 times now. Thank you for your post regarding this and I am going to call again on monday using your info. I think all of us Geocachers who have been in the run around with Magellan should get together and try to get some results. I also know that the next GPSr I get is not going to be Magellan.

I am in the same boat with Magellan Customer Service and about on the same time line. I have been waiting for about 2 months for a new USB cable and have called for information regarding it about 6 times now. Thank you for your post regarding this and I am going to call again on monday using your info. I think all of us Geocachers who have been in the run around with Magellan should get together and try to get some results. I also know that the next GPSr I get is not going to be Magellan.

You would think that 6 calls in 2 months would "elevate" an order to a higher status. In my case it took a call to the Corp office to "elevate" the order.

And, yes, it would be nice if everyone who has problem with tech or customer support would elevate their requests to the number that I listed above {(408) 615-5100 }. Like "oldsarge" said in the other forum of this title, I like the Magellan style and would hate to switch, but with support like this ......... :rolleyes:

I just bought an additional cable for my my 400 off of ebay to permanently attach to my swivel mount. There's plenty of usb/power cables listed on there for cheap, just make sure you order the right one.

Where did you get your swivel mount and what part number is it? I was looking for one for a while but none of the ones I saw had a place to attache the cable. They all looked like you still attached the cable to the GPSr. We have an eXplorist where the threads are stripping out and the cable doesn't always stay in when connected...

Where did you get your swivel mount and what part number is it? I was looking for one for a while but none of the ones I saw had a place to attache the cable. They all looked like you still attached the cable to the GPSr. We have an eXplorist where the threads are stripping out and the cable doesn't always stay in when connected...

The mount people are usually referring to in this situation is this one. Magellan part #702209.

Link to TigerGPS in case the Magellan link doesn't work right...stinks how Magellan doesn't give each product its own webpage and just puts them into a list.