The Future of Global Imaging

monkeykat

Those images are nice, but I guess their full potential has not yet been made available?

I see three samples, and although I have not compared them to what is available *for those areas* on Google Earth, I am typically used to seeing much more detail on Google Earth.

It is entirely possible that something about this new imaging has gone completely over my head. (?)

Nice, crisp photo. Compares favorably with the detail on TopoZone's Urban Hi-Resolution product. You have to use the "expand" feature on the photo to get to the original size, where the individual vehicles are visible.

Am I correct that the pictures are in black and white because they started building the satellite in 1957? The hazards of long development times...... :laughing:

-Paul-

Who develops the photos taken in outer space?

Edited by PFF

Those images are nice, but I guess their full potential has not yet been made available?

I see three samples, and although I have not compared them to what is available *for those areas* on Google Earth, I am typically used to seeing much more detail on Google Earth.

It is entirely possible that something about this new imaging has gone completely over my head. (?)

Many of the highest resolution images you see on Google Earth are aerial photos, not satellite photos. It's a lot easier to get high resolution from an altitude of 3,000 meters than from 500,000 meters.

Edited by holograph

Is this really a look at the future? Digitalglobe has been collecting half meter stuff with the satellites they already had in orbit before this one. Seems like this is more just an expansion of what they already have available (and it frees up the quickbird satellite to concentrate more on color imaging, which is only 2.4 meter resolution).

I guess I'm just a little underwhelmed that we're still only at half meter resolution in commercial satellite imagery. I mean heck, the mars reconnaissance orbiter is something like .3 meter (although I'll concede that atmospheric differences might make that a little easier).

I think overall, the WorldView imagery is pretty impressive. It may not be the best out there for benchmarking purposes, which I have to remind myself that is what this forum is truly for. But, I just wanted to start a thread for future technology, and a place to post links for imagery, software, and applications that are interesting, and may be of value in the future.

Of course, keep in mind that satellite pics with sub-meter resolution have been around since the '60's (which by the way really were film until the mid-70's) - just not for civilian use . So, now after 30+ years we can can all get the benefit of civilian uses for this neat stuff. I can't say more (ex-USAF, worked in the recce business) , but the Wiki sure can!

[A lesson: just because the button on Google Earth says "Satellite" doesn't mean that it really is]

ESRI ArcGIS Explorer is an awesome new tool I have just been working with.

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer/index.html

I was mapping out a Town and submitted the Marks to a Surveyor who mentioned it.

I also had the 911 Mapping GIS Tech tell me about it too.

It is way over my head at the moment,but great thing for help files.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1