Internet Access on Arran?

I'm off to the lovely Isle of Arran shortly and hope to bag a few caches.

Does anyone know how I can get on the net to log my finds? Are there any internet cafes or WiFi hotspots? Or is this townie hoping for too much?

Is there a McDonalds there? They have free wifi access now - click the link and look under Press Releases :D

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

There are probably lots of McDonalds on the island, unfortunately there are no McDonalds restaurants. :huh:

I'm having visions of a geeky cacher, complete with laptop, approaching a group of ancient kilted Scots and complaining: But you're MacDonalds! You're supposed to have free wifi!

The Auchrannie Spa Resort Hotel at Brodick has Wi-Fi in the bar, restaurants and pool area - 3 FTF's still there too.........

The Auchrannie Spa Resort Hotel at Brodick has Wi-Fi in the bar, restaurants and pool area - 3 FTF's still there too.........

Of the 3 FTFs...

1) one is on Holy Isle - not planning on going across

2) "Arran Industry" - One part of the series has still not been posted!!!

3) "Ogham" - I think that I've cracked that one!!!

Of the 3 FTFs...

1) one is on Holy Isle - not planning on going across

2) "Arran Industry" - One part of the series has still not been posted!!!

3) "Ogham" - I think that I've cracked that one!!!

There is also 'Valley of the Kings' with new co-ords since we were there!

There are 16 McDonald families on the island, buth whether any of them have internet acces I don't know. Mobile phone signal is only really available on the east coast south of Sannox and at certain spots along the west coast. As well as the Auchrannie there is internet access at the Library in Brodick where it is possible to get temporary membership so that you can use the internet.

The Library in Brodick is your best bet and at this time of the year I shouldn't think it will be too busy so you shouldn't have to book or wait ( famous last words!). Failing that, some of the hotels ( Kinloch, Blackwaterfoot hotel(lodge?) ) do have internet access but possibly only for residents although I'm sure if you reside in the bar long enough they'll let you log on. Auchrannie certainly has wi-fi access at the leisure complex and you can relax in the sanarium and steam room after logging those hard earned caches. Have a great time...we're jealous.

...was there about 6 years ago doing a survey at Arran Aromatics (are they still there?) and managed to get a signal from the top of Goat Fell.....

Yes Arran Aromatics is still there (had a Latte with extra shot and a piece of chocolate cake there this afternoon), however the mobile reception is much the same as it was 6 years ago. You can get good signal from the tops of some of the higher peaks, but often when you try to use it to make a call it dosen't want to play ball. Best plan is to carry phones for at least 3 networks and hope that one of them will get through. Mind you wap.geocaching.com works very well on neighbouring Bute.

Walking back from dinner at the Lochranza Hotel just now I noticed that the signal strength appears to go up and down as you walk southeastward, so very ocasionally you get 5 bars but more frequently 2 or no signal at all - seems suspiciously like some sort of interference pattern?