GARMIN ETREX VENTURE CX-good? bad?

I have this GPSr, and it's worked really well for me. I use it hiking, driving, geocaching, benchmarking hunting and while riding on my dual sport motorcycle.

I bought it for $176 at Amazon which included free shipping.

At this point in time the biggest decision you'll have to make is whether to go with the new high-sensitivity receiver models, like the Legend HCx. That device is the same as the Venture Cx except for the receiver. There are times when hunting Geocaches in heavy tree cover that the H model would certainly be nice, because my position is floating all over because of the poor signal.

The Legend HCx is currently around $25 more than the Venture Cx at Amazon.com, so for so little extra it would be worth it. Note that the Venture product line was identical to the Legend line except for the accessories included in the box. It looks like Garmin did away with that silliness and the Venture model is not available in the new high-sensitivity product line.

Dan

Note that the Venture product line was identical to the Legend line except for the accessories included in the box. It looks like Garmin did away with that silliness and the Venture model is not available in the new high-sensitivity product line.

My understanding is that the Legend does auto routing and the Venture doesn't. The Venture is indeed available as an H model but not an HCx like the Legend and Vista. The point is to force you to choose between terrific battery life and removable memory of the Venture Cx or no added memory and very bad battery life but the H chip in the Venture HC. The purpose of this invidious choice is to try and force you to not make either choice and buy a Legend HCx instead and get the best of both worlds as the price difference is so small.

Edited by gallet

Ahh, I stand corrected. I knew there wasn't a Venture HCx, but did not know about the HC.

The Venture Cx supports autorouting. I seldom use it, but it definitely works. I don't know whether the HC model supports it - perhaps they disabled it to further cripple the device.

"Pack more detail into your adventure with the eTrex Venture Cx. This popular handheld navigator has a bright color screen and microSD card slot for expandable memory, and it can route you on roads or off, for wherever your travels take you."

Dan

Personally, I would take the expandable storage over the high sensitivity receiver any day. I make my own maps which can be quite large, so storage is critical.

Also, I wouldn't consider the new Venture HC as the next step up from the Venture Cx. I would be choosing between the Venture Cx and the Legend HCx. The difference is only $25 or so, and basically represents the cost for the high sensitivity receiver.

Dan

The difference is only $25 or so, and basically represents the cost for the high sensitivity receiver.

Not really, that's just your way of seeing it because you don't use auto routing, in fact if you look at the price of the Yellow eTrex and Yellow eTrex H you see they are the same, therefore there is no charge for the H chip.

Whether you use it or not moving up to the Legend HCx you are paying for auto routing capabilities. But mostly what you are getting is the best of both worlds, removable memory and an H chip.

Do not underestimate the advantage of the H chip it is monumental. Sitting on a train I could not get any reception with my old Vista but with the new HCx I get 6 metre accuracy. Same when in a car, I can sit in the backseat and receive a strong signal no problems. Once you've used the H chip you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

Get the Legend HCx, but if you are going to do that in my opinion it's worth spending the extra $15 for the flux gate compass and go for the Vista HCx

The difference is only $25 or so, and basically represents the cost for the high sensitivity receiver.

Not really, that's just your way of seeing it because you don't use auto routing, in fact if you look at the price of the Yellow eTrex and Yellow eTrex H you see they are the same, therefore there is no charge for the H chip.

I don't follow you. The Venture Cx does autorouting too. I have used it, I just don't need to use it regularly. The only difference I see between the Venture Cx and Legend HCx is the high sensitivity receiver, which I said "The Legend HCx is currently around $25 more than the Venture Cx at Amazon.com, so for so little extra it would be worth it."

The fact that the bottom-end devices cost the same price doesn't really mean anything. It just indicates that they can't reduce the price of the original eTrex any lower or they would be losing money. It cost them a certain amount to manufacture those devices when they were made a number of years ago - probably the exact same amount it costs to make the new eTrex H now. That's just the way technology manufacturing goes. The margin on the low end device must be tight, so they don't have room to reduce it further. To me, it shows they made too many of the original eTrex and demand for them hasn't been strong.

Dan

I don't follow you. The Venture Cx does autorouting too. I have used it, I just don't need to use it regularly. The only difference I see between the Venture Cx and Legend HCx is the high sensitivity receiver, which I said "The Legend HCx is currently around $25 more than the Venture Cx at Amazon.com, so for so little extra it would be worth it."

The fact that the bottom-end devices cost the same price doesn't really mean anything. It just indicates that they can't reduce the price of the original eTrex any lower or they would be losing money. It cost them a certain amount to manufacture those devices when they were made a number of years ago - probably the exact same amount it costs to make the new eTrex H now. That's just the way technology manufacturing goes. The margin on the low end device must be tight, so they don't have room to reduce it further. To me, it shows they made too many of the original eTrex and demand for them hasn't been strong.

You're right, I was incorrect when I implied the Venture Cx didn't do auto routing, that only applies to the Venture HC, which actually makes the choice even more invidious than I thought it was, Garmin hold out the very desirable H chip but you can only get it in a crap unit unless you move up to the Legend or Vista where they don't bother with the silly choices.

However I can't agree with you that Garmin cannot reduce the price of the yellow eTrex non H model. I mean you don't see Apple computer still selling an old model when it has been upgraded, even though the new models are the same price. I mean get serious, who in their right minds would knowingly buy a Yellow eTrex instead of the eTrex H. Certainly 5 extra hours of battery life for the old eTrex is not a serious trade off for the huge difference in sensitivity, I mean we are talking about a level of reception that up until a few months ago could only be had in the top of the range $350 60CSx.

Why are you getting rid of the eXplorist 400? I just started having difficulties with mine (the on/off switch is failing) and have been looking at the forums about what others would recommend.

We have sent three Explorists in for service now and getting tired of it.

Basemap failure on 210,

faulty screen on 210,

Zoom button failure on 400.

The 400 is off for repair now. :D