Electronic Caches

g0t0pless

I am working on (for over a year now) making a multi-part cache. The cache will use electronics to get you to the final location.

Basically how it would work is this:

The cache description tells you to bring a 9V battery.

You go to the location in the cache description. At that location will be a small plastic enclosure with a set of screw heads sticking out of it. When you attach the battery the box will "do" something.

That "something" could be:

Display a digit to be filled in for to find the next leg of the journey

Display a light behind a digit to be filled in to find the next leg of the journey

Vibrate if hooked up incorrectly

Activate a small buzzer if hooked up incorrectly

etc...

So, with all of that being said, how can I make these things NOT look like bombs if a muggle happens across one?

I thought about using bark glued to the enclosure to camo it, but it would be difficult to find the screw heads to attach the battery.

Thoughts?

Also, what can I use to keep the screw heads from corroding?

You go to the location in the cache description. At that location will be a small plastic enclosure with a set of screw heads sticking out of it. When you attach the battery the box will "do" something.

Remember the following guideline when you're planning this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Make sure that if you decide to attach this "enclosure" to something that it can be removed without ever knowing it was there. Screwing it into something wouldn't be an option as it defaces the object you're attaching it to.

The cache description tells you to bring a 9V battery.

That "something" could be:

I just found a cache like that!

The something was that the box started beeping morse code _._._. ... _.

The cacher has to write it down and decode it. And its actually a few sentences, not just the coordinate numbers, so it takes some effort to decode. The cache page did say to bring a morse decoding chart too.

Fun cache!

So, with all of that being said, how can I make these things NOT look like bombs if a muggle happens across one?

I thought about using bark glued to the enclosure to camo it, but it would be difficult to find the screw heads to attach the battery.

Thoughts?

Also, what can I use to keep the screw heads from corroding?

I think the best way to make sure no one thinks its a bomb is always to make sure no muggle finds it... for example, hide it in far enough the woods, not in a small city park. If it was found, a brightly painted (but well hidden) box with instructions on how to use it would probably be less alarming than mysterious screws coming out of a camoed box.

As for avoiding corrosion, that's what stainless steel is for.

A good hiding spot would be the first step. Once found, perhaps an easily seen notice identifying the object would be in order. Leave the works exposed so that in the event an LEO is called, it can easily be determined harmless. (In that one would need to bring a battery, there is no fear of lights or buzzers until the contacts are touched.)

For instance, using an ammo box, mount the works to a sheet of plywood for the insulative properties. This assembly could be slid down one long side of the box, with a brace at each end to hold it. The identifier (stash note) could be glued/laminated to the lid, and the two screw heads to touch the battery to clearly marked.

Assuming this cache is on public property, or on private property that doesn't belong to you, make absolutely sure the land manager and also the local LEO know the cache is there and know what it does. Even the best hidden cache can be stumbled upon.

Once that's done, then follow everyone else's advice. Find an outstanding hiding place, then do an outstanding job hiding it.

One "camo" idea is to make it look like a legitimate electronic device, like an electric meter.

Here's a cache I found a few months ago, with an 'electronic' theme - not necessarily the kind of thing that you're trying to achieve, but a novel concept all the same. The technology bit is blindingly obvious from the cache name, but a lot of people seem to be foxed by the final hiding place, which is quite deceptive!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCKTX2