KML to MapSource Problem

instructor

I'm trying to put WMA boundaries on my eTrex Legend via MapSource. Here is what I have done:

1. Download KY WMA Boundaries at:

http://fw.ky.gov/kfwis/google/GoogleEarth.asp (Ky Public Hunting Areas.kmz)

2. Unzip the kmz file and extract the kml file using Winzip.

I've tried converting the resulting kml file using several different programs (GPSBabel, GE2GPX, etc.) and they all produce output that consists of hundreds of "tracks" that are composed of a single coordinate for each WMA.

I don't get it, because in Google Earth the WMA boundaries are perfect. Any ideas?

I converted the kml file to .gdb and it displays the boundaries in Mapsource for me.

Here's my .gdb file...download it and open it in Mapsource and see if it works for you.

Note: there are 1618 tracks so you are not gonna be able to load very many of them in your GPS...best bet would be to create a custom map from those tracks.

KY.gdb file

Here's a screenshot from a Garmin 276c showing a custom map I made from the track files...borders can be made any color.

KYWMAScreenshot.jpg

Edited by rws

I converted the kml file to .gdb and it displays the boundaries in Mapsource for me.

Here's my .gdb file...download it and open it in Mapsource and see if it works for you.

Note: there are 1618 tracks so you are not gonna be able to load very many of them in your GPS...best bet would to create a custom map from those tracks.

KY.gdb file

RWS,

Thank you! But how did you do it? What converter did you use?

RWS,

Thank you! But how did you do it? What converter did you use?

GPSBabel

Here's a link to the custom map I made from the tracks. It installs into Mapsource where you can then select it for upload to your GPS along with TOPO maps etc. The map is transparent so your basemap or other detailed maps will show through. The boundaries will show up on your GPS as a white line with red border just like in my screenshot above (can be made other colors and thicknesses if desired). Give it a try and let me know if you like it.

Download the zip file....read the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file for installation and use instructions.

Custom Garmin KY WMA Boundary Map

Edited by rws