Portuguese Geocoin2007

PLnauta

This is a great design which was matter of great debate here. We has a poll and some lunch events to discuss the coin.

The front says "por caches nunca antes encontradas" which translates quite like The Moop Along says " for caches never found before". It is a close match to one of the most famous verses from Luis Camões' famous poems "Lusiadas" that says "for seas never travelled so far" [ :mad: this is an uggly translation but i hope you can see the point.

The back showns a tipical picture from the portuguese folclore "Zé Povinho" - This i don't know how to translate. Its a figure from the commom people that usualy does that uggly gesture with both arms against political or other nonsense. "Toma" means "Take it" <_< sometimes can be considered offensive but among ourselves the entire figure is one of the most dearest of all.

:mad: well i wrote those words and then decide to go to Wiki.

just follow this link if you're interested in the story :huh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z%C3%A9_Povinho

Regarding the coins and other questions i copy/past here the informations posted in our threads:

"# of coins - 250 coins (this may increase depending on customers)

- gold finish

- soft cloisonné surface (smooth surface; similar to lunchtime gang coin)

- All text (that flows around the coin - front and back) sunk in to

metal surface

- colours to be matched. i.e. greens can all be the same, reds as well,

etc. - use as few colours as possible – in this case 4 colours will be used.

- size of coins= 45 mm diameters

- thickness= 3mm

- maintain the icon that we already have for the PT coins but adding the "07" to the icon

- continue the Prefix "PT" as in the previous coins"

I'll have to found out who will mint this ones, but i thinks it's someone here in Europe.

PL

The back showns a tipical picture from the portuguese folclore "Zé Povinho" - This i don't know how to translate. Its a figure from the commom people that usualy does that uggly gesture with both arms against political or other nonsense. "Toma" means "Take it" :blink: sometimes can be considered offensive but among ourselves the entire figure is one of the most dearest of all.

I like the story, and the coin.

I want to purchase some. Will they be available for sale worldwide like last years?

I really don't know. But i guess not.

There was an huge boom on portuguese geocaching and the whole set (270coins) where all pre-sold. There is allready and intensive search for coins inside our community :blink:

Paulo

Hi

Its not a personal coin (at least mine). It was discuss at the Portuguese forum since april 2007 (you can watch the whole process here - in portuguese

http://www.geocaching-pt.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1023

there were some good/funny ideas :unsure: )

The final decision was done through a poll. So i can say that this one is kind of a real Portuguese Geocaching Geocoin v 2007 (and we are all looking forward to have it in ours hands).

Paulo

There's only 2 geonicks I recognize in that discussion other than yours, lol.

I hope you found that a good sign :unsure: and i'm glad you recognize mine :ph34r:

I told you there was a boom here. Portugal GC has seen an huge encrease in geocachers and they (we) are all interested in every aspect of the game.

I do like geocoins a lot and the whole concept around it. Usually when there is something new here i do post on our forum some notes on the new editions. It is somehow distorted to my own taste :cool: tought.

Here in Portugal we have only one (yes one :D ) personal geocoin _ The Lunchtime Gang), you can compare with what happened there.

So if you have something you feel its special for those GC in Portugal, tell me about it and i'll post at our forum in the trackable section.

Paulo

ps. i'm also starting to give some attention to tracking tags, which are even more rare here, and are quite less expensive. They could be a reasonably good solution for us here.

Edited by PLnauta

If anyone has ordered extras of these I am interested in trading for one of these.

For trade we have the following personal geocoins:

Team Sand Dollar V2.5 (Trackable with icon) in:

Misty Gold, Misty Silver, Matte Black

Buffalo Wings V3 2007 - NAVY (Trackable with icon) in:

Ant Gold, Ant Silver, Ant Copper

Team Sand Dollar 2007 (Trackable with icon) in:

Misty Gold, Black Nickel, Ant.Copper

Team Sand Dollar - MWGB (Numbered, NON-Trackable) in:

Silver

Also check out my trade list at http://cointracking.com/public/TeamSandDollar

Thanks

Team Sand Dollar

Trade made, thanks Paulo, beautiful coin.

I had to say, for being honest, that i'm a little bit disaponted. The coin is well designed, with a good finish and its really beautifull, but is lighter than expected. I never saw that metal before, but then again i'm not quite experient in this, and the first feeling was , well :) what the ... but they are quite nice really.

I'm sending an e-mail to all those i trade this coin with just to let them know this.

Hi

trades closed and coins sended to

Jim, Tsun, Nicolo, Cog&Gil and Pengo Family who will also release a Portuguese Activated coin that will travel around Canada and USA.

Now i'm nervous. So many coins on the mail. I hope they all arrive soon :anicute:

Thank you all for these good trades..

Paulo

Hi all, Can someone please point me to where I can find the activation code for this coin. Thanks.

I've tried some of the usual places - searching to forum, the Activation Code Clear House Thread, Oakcoins Activation retrieval, coincodes, and personal geocoins.

Hi all, Can someone please point me to where I can find the activation code for this coin. Thanks.

I've tried some of the usual places - searching to forum, the Activation Code Clear House Thread, Oakcoins Activation retrieval, coincodes, and personal geocoins.

Hi!

Try here. :P

Hi!

Try here. :P

Awesome. Thank you very much for that! :D