TB etiquitte: when to log?

Bashaw

I received what I thought was an odd email today. Yesterday I went caching and found a TB. When I got home and looked it up it was listed as being in CacherX's possession, and had been for over a month. So, thinking it got passed on at an event or something I grabbed the TB from CacherX, logged the TB into the cache where I found it, and logged it back out. Today CacherX (a psuedonym) emailed me and ripped me a new one for not waiting 24 hours to log the TB. I've never heard this 24 hour rule but she claimed it's what all smart cachers do!

What good will 24 hours do? Why not 48 or 72 or ??? In her case, she might have gotten to log her bug drop before I did. But it's just as likely that she might have been on vacation for another week! My bottom-line question is this: how long do you wait to do what I did logging a TB?

Typically you should wait at least 2-3 days, when you can. Some times people can't log the same day they drop. If you are uncertain if you should grab send an email to the current holder find out what's up.

If you do grab it away make sure to post a note on the cache you found it in and do a drop, then do the retrieve to keep the tracking accurate.

If the cacher is local I give them about a week to log, but if they are from somewhere else I usually give them two weeks. If CacherX had already had the bug for over a month I think you were quite justified in grabbing it, and since you logged it into and out of the cache where you found it, there really was no reason for CacherX to be upset. TBs seem to bring out the worst in us!

What you did was just fine so long as you dropped it off for miles and retrieved it. I'll give a person a day or two to be nice, unless I pick up an undropped TB on Saturday and I'm going caching on Sunday on the other end of the state and want to drop it off. In that case I'll do exactly what you did.

As a TB owner I'd rather see that happen than the second person drop it off and make a note of it to wait for it to be dropped and retrieve and then drop it off...much more chance for the second person to forget...Which I honestly can see myself doing if I have to wait a couple of days...

Thanks for your replies. I realize that I get excited about caching and I like to log my finds as soon as I get home, but not everyone does! As my father used to say, I may grow old but I'll never grow up!

Lesson learned: next time I'll email the TB holder and see if they just forgot before I log it! I'm not sure if its TBs that bring out the worst in us, or email. It's too easy to whip off a sharply worded email, and you can't call it back if you have regrets.

If the cacher is local I give them about a week to log, but if they are from somewhere else I usually give them two weeks. If CacherX had already had the bug for over a month I think you were quite justified in grabbing it, and since you logged it into and out of the cache where you found it, there really was no reason for CacherX to be upset. TBs seem to bring out the worst in us!

The cacher may have been holding for a month but they may have just placed it that day. Provided you thought to check you could see when they signed the logbook but otherwise you never really know how long it's been sitting in the cache.

I have a similar situation. On Saturday I retrieved a TB from a cache (cache1). When I got home, I found that this TB was last logged 3 weeks earlier as being placed in a different cache (cache2). Only one person logged a find of cache1 between the time the TB was dropped in cache2 and my find. I have emailed the cache1 owner, the TB owner, and the cacher who visited cache1 before me. I posted a note on the TB's log page, and am going to wait a while to see what happens (no email replies yet).

Eventually I may have to do a retrieve, drop, and retrieve of the TB, but I am going to give the other cacher a chance to log it.

Edited by UncleJimbo

As I get further into this hobby, I can feel myself drawn to helping the little TB buggers along. That said, a cache that lists contents with TBs gets my notice. If I made the effort to find a cache in order to give a TB a boost, and find that the bug had not been there for days (but not logged as taken), I'd most likely feel a little miffed.

IMHO, ASAP for logging. If I find a TB and retrieve it, I feel I owe it to the owner to log it as accurately and up-to-date as I can. I'd also feel I owe it to the folks seeking out TBs in caches. ESPECIALLY things like jeeps, which folks may plan entire GC trips to seek out.

IMHO/YMMV

I am one of those who may occasionally may be slow to log, in that I often cache while on the road. If I take a bug, I make sure to note that in my log, if I leave a bug I have often left a note advising that "I will get logged by xx-xx, apologies for any inconvenience." So far, no complaints heard.

Give a couple days at least. Most travelers today can get online at hotel, coffee shops or restaurants, and many rest areas. A week would be too long to take!

As I get further into this hobby, I can feel myself drawn to helping the little TB buggers along. That said, a cache that lists contents with TBs gets my notice. If I made the effort to find a cache in order to give a TB a boost, and find that the bug had not been there for days (but not logged as taken), I'd most likely feel a little miffed.

IMHO, ASAP for logging. If I find a TB and retrieve it, I feel I owe it to the owner to log it as accurately and up-to-date as I can. I'd also feel I owe it to the folks seeking out TBs in caches. ESPECIALLY things like jeeps, which folks may plan entire GC trips to seek out.

IMHO/YMMV

Yep, I log immediately as well. I don't see what the big deal is.