World Wide Flash Mob - Birmingham

bikermel76

(If I'm not allowed to promote events here, please delete or whatever!, and apologies!)

Hi Folks

Just to raise a little awareness of this event, as it's not too far in the future!

The guys from PodCacher (who may or may not have come up with the concept of Flash Mob Caches) are arranging another for 10th November. There will be simlutaneous Flash Mobs all around the world at the same time. I'm hosting one in Birmingham City Centre with an awful lot of help from my friends, ZoomLens, mumbo jumbo, JimJinks and Tizzie!

We have been very kindly sponsored by UKGeocachers.com, so I can promise some excellent prizes in the raffle :mad: They are also coming all the way up for the event itself, and will be bringing along their extensive coin collection for everyone to spot!

The event is SideTracked themed (yep, gotta dress up as a trainspotter!) and 3 new SideTracked Caches will be released for the event! (No, we don't expect you to grab all 3 during the 15 minute event, but if anyone wants to try, it'll make a great story!)

Cache listing is here:

More info here:

So far we're the only UK one, but the more the merrier!

Mel

I would suggest that an Event that has a time span of only 30 minutes still requires quite a lot of organisation and co-ordination.

As with every other aspect of Geocaching, there's a wide range of different ways to play the game: Some like events that last several days, others enjoy a "Day event" or an evening meet at a local pub. This is just another variation which broadens the variety of "event" caches available.

As with the old, old "Micros v. Proper Boxes" debate, the choice is up to the individual -

"Attend, or not to attend, that is the question..."

MrsB :mad:

(With apologies to William S <_< )

Doesn't this just take the mick out of the event organisers who spend weeks and months ensuring their events are enjoyed????

I for one don't see the point!!!

Anyone else??

Sarah

You may well think so and the whole concept was discussed at length by Groundspeak and the reviewer community. The consensus was that they should be allowed.

Judging the quality of an event is no different from judging the quality of all the "cache and dash" micro caches I'm reviewing and publishing these days. It's not something we allow ourselves to get involved with :mad: .

Blimey! What's your problem? The smiley comes from being in a certain place at a certain time - that's all. It's an event like any other: a few new caches released; an opportunity to meet up early to tick off some undone caches; and a couple of hours in a pub talking caching. Sounds like fun to me. [i have to disclose an interest as an organiser!]

MJ

Blimey! What's your problem? The smiley comes from being in a certain place at a certain time - that's all. It's an event like any other: a few new caches released; an opportunity to meet up early to tick off some undone caches; and a couple of hours in a pub talking caching. Sounds like fun to me. [i have to disclose an interest as an organiser!]

MJ

You don't get to log it unless you are there at some point within a 15 minute window, just seems wrong somehow.

Free country blah blah blah...try something new blah blah blah...mega event taking place across the world blah blah blah...(including some serving soldiers in Iraq, South Africans, Canadians and Yanks!)

YES the 'official' event lasts 15 minutes, the idea is to cause a little chaos and confuse the heck out of the muggles (not hard!) The fact that it only lasts 15 minutes explains why you need lots of poeple to organise it - no one person has time to deal with handing out log sheets, cache details, food, collecting raffle tickets & drawing the raffle, taking photos, looking after coins & TBs etc etc!

BUT we are meeting BEFORE to Cache (as can anyone else who wishes to) and AFTER in the pub! Plus, as I said and MJ has repeated we are also releasing new caches for the event which people can also do afterwards.

Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but if we were all called Rachel it would just be a Multi-Rachel society wouldnt it? :mad:

Why not give it a go? It will probably be the most packed 15 minutes of Geocaching you will EVER do! You might even have fun...

Oh, and if someone points out what is commerical, I'll gladly remove. One link is to GC.com, the other to more info about the event on my chat site - neither of which is commercial?

.....the 'official' event lasts 15 minutes......

......BUT we are meeting BEFORE to Cache (as can anyone else who wishes to) and AFTER in the pub!.....

These statements are what make my roll my eyes....see ---> <_<

The whole flash mob concept is 15mins only, to come from nowhere and then disappear to nowhere again.

I see the concept behind it but it's not really a flash mob and the fact that stuff is organised before and after shows how pointless a true flash mob event would be :mad:

Oh, and if someone points out what is commerical, I'll gladly remove. One link is to GC.com, the other to more info about the event on my chat site - neither of which is commercial?

OK I am not saying it is commercial but 4 banners for your sponsors does raise on my mind questions about how far it is possible to go before it becomes commercial.

Perhaps someone could ask RL :mad:

Maybe there is nothing wrong with this type of event, though maybe it is time people asked the question "Is this a good idea"?

Team Roberson and we are hosting a flash mob in Va as well. Regardless of how long the actual event is, doesn't mean you have to just show up and leave after a few minutes. The point of a flash mob is to have a bunch of stangers come together and do something in an organized fashion which I find really fun and kind of bonding. This is a chance to meet fellow cachers that you may otherwise have never met. Once there I'm sure there will be plenty of people making plans to go caching together before or after the event and it could create new friendships among people who would have never otherwise met at all who share a common hobby.

Surely if we have events like these that are (in my opinion) so simple to organise then before long we will be having events daily.

The joy of attending events and organising events is mainly meeting new cachers and re-affirming friendships made with others. Every single event I've attended holds a place in my heart and have produced many memories I will tresure for many years. I don't want events to become as regular and norm as a swift pint in the pub.

Once again my opinion, but I guess we all play the game differently.

<SIGH>

Sarah

Flash Mob events have been going on in various places all year, why the biggie about this one? There were one or two recently in this country as I recall and they didn't warrant this type of response, or was that because they got on quietly and did their own thing?

Seems to me, as soon as someone wants to be a bit creative and stick their head above the parapet the self appointed throw their toys out of the pram.

A Flash Mob event sounds fun, but then I have heard about several as I listen to the podcast that has commentated on them periodically.

15 minutes doesn't constitute an event? Well to log a "normal" event you only have to show up and show your face, that's it, no time limit required!

I don't understand what the problem is, if you don't like the sound of it don't go, plain and simple. No need to get all high and mighty about what does and what doesn't constitue an event in your own mind.

Or is it cos they is Brummies? :mad:

15 minutes doesn't constitute an event? Well to log a "normal" event you only have to show up and show your face, that's it, no time limit required!

The thing I don't think is right is this

The event will begin precisely at 17:00 GMT (as updated on your GPSr) and conclude precisely at 17:15 GMT.

Events which occur after 17:15 GMT will not count as part of this event!

You MUST be present and sign a log sheet DURING this time. Only Cachers with completed log sheets will be permitted to log an 'Attended' on this event. The Log Sheet Box will be sealed at 17:15 GMT EXACTLY! Logs not in the box when it is sealed will not count!

That seems to be saying that anyone who comes along, but doesn't manage to sign the logsheet within that 15 minute time scale will not be able to Log an Attended log for the event.

That, in my opinion, is not in the spirit of what events should be about.

If I was travelling over on train, got delayed, and didn't quite make the 15 minute window, I'd be very annoyed at not being permitted to log the event.

Sure lots of events have listed finishing times, but nothing this restrictive.

My comments are not aimed at this event specifically and yes I had noticed that there have been several short events around. It is probably the increase in the number of this type of event that caused me to comment.

As for it being in Birmingham, nowt wrong with that been to an enjoyable event there.

I would however like to see some debate about them. Not my cup of tea but i guess they meet the guidelines or they would not get published.

Just to reiterate, this type of "event" has been discussed at the top level by Groundspeak and they decided to allow them to appear on Geocaching.com. They need to follow all the usual guidelines and as for the "Commercial" links on this particular cache page, I missed them when I reviewed it and have asked for them to be removed.

Mea Culpa :D !

Well, the attacks on the event, and on the organisers that have appeared on this thread have pretty much guaranteed that I will make the effort to attend. The one thing that pretty much puts my back up in the geocaching community is the section of it that loves to tell people how they should or shouldn't take part in it - and once again that reaction has been counterproductive here.

Edited by OldNickCov

Well, the attacks on the event, and on the organisers that have appeared on this thread have pretty much guaranteed that I will make the effort to attend. The one thing that pretty much puts my back up in the geocaching community is the section of it that loves to tell people how they should or shouldn't take part in it - and once again that reaction has been counterproductive here.

You're absolutely on the button there!

Unfortunately, I cannot attend as GeoDog aka Caesar has a long standing committment to be doing a demo for Dogs for the Disabled at an event at Earls Court, otherwise I would have gone, just to experience a Flash Mob event that I have heard so much about.

Good Luck folks, it sounds like fun. From what I gather the funny looks from muggles are priceless at this type of gathering :D

Each to their own as the saying goes.

The only thing I know about Flash Mobs came from watching an episode of CSI:(Miami, I think) when some kid turned up dead on a golf course after a Flash Mob of teenagers throwing golf balls at golfers.

I'm sure it will probably be more interesting than parts of my last weekend when Caching around Wigan. If I never see another MICRO in dense woodland I'll be more than happy. Seems to me that this event is taking more thought than some of those caches did!

:D

I'm with you 100% there OldNickCov! :D

If ever I were to attend an event (not that I'm going to but if ...) I'd be up there like a shot!

Best wishes for the event.

I see no attacks on the event or the organisers. I do however see people asking questions and expressing opinions not about this event but the concept of very short events.

Having had a particularly bad nights sleep after it being insinuated that I am getting "high and mighty" and that I have somehow "self appointed" myself. I though I would clarify my point. I, in no way mean to be negative towards this particular cache event organisers.

Please don't judge me unless you know me... I thought I had a right to express my view here....but perhaps not.

I still stand by my original view point....I don't see the point. The sheer fact the timing is so limited makes it near on impossible for me to attend any of these such events (therefore excluding me) so of course I will not be able to judge the quality for myself.

Sarah

YES the 'official' event lasts 15 minutes, the idea is to cause a little chaos and confuse the heck out of the muggles (not hard!) The fact that it only lasts 15 minutes explains why you need lots of poeple to organise it - no one person has time to deal with handing out log sheets, cache details, food, collecting raffle tickets & drawing the raffle, taking photos, looking after coins & TBs etc etc!

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public.

This I appreciate relates more to physical caches, however it seems to sum it up for me.

I like the idea of events that are different, challenging even. This one however does not rock my boat. In the same way large groups of cachers hanging around a graveyard at night as occurred at one event does not.

Each to their own though.

I can't see the problem with this sort of event myself. I shan't be there because it's not my vicinity but might well do one if time and place were right.

There must be lots of cachers in our community who have other commitments in their lives, as I do, who cannot put a whole day aside, let alone a weekend, to visit a "normal" event.

There have been a number of unusual types of cache/events over the years, such as the "fox hunt" a year or two back, many of which I couldn't or didn't want to attend, but I managed to to survive their existence wiithout it somehow devaluing my geocaching experience.

If you can't be there it's just another event you couldn't attend. If you try to get there but miss the 15 minute window will it really be any more annoying than travelling a long distance to log a DNF. (And I have enough of those to know how annoying they are!) :D

I'd just like to make my point again as it's seen to be some kind of criticism of this type of event.....it's not! Flash Mob Events (while not my cup of tea) are something different and new but this isn't a Flash Mob! The events before and after don't make sense if it's to be a true Flash Mob.....this is just an ordinary event and is being given a "cool" title to make it more than it is.

The unpopularity of a true Flash Mob Event is proven by the fact that everyone wants to meet up before and after to cache and talk.

Having had a particularly bad nights sleep after it being insinuated that I am getting "high and mighty" and that I have somehow "self appointed" myself. I though I would clarify my point. I, in no way mean to be negative towards this particular cache event organisers.

Please don't judge me unless you know me... I thought I had a right to express my view here....but perhaps not.

I still stand by my original view point....I don't see the point. The sheer fact the timing is so limited makes it near on impossible for me to attend any of these such events (therefore excluding me) so of course I will not be able to judge the quality for myself.

Sarah

Sarah from what you are saying it would seem you have wrongly interpreted my comments yesterday to be about you and solely you! I am also sorry that your interpretation of them being directed at you caused you a sleepless night ... however, that is indeed not the case and if you look at the time of your last post before mine (10.12pm) mine was made at 10.13pm, it would not have been possible for me to have responded to your post so quickly. I was actually composing my post at the same time.

I felt particularly saddened by the very negative responses by several people to this particular event. If people wish to discuss the pros and cons of this type of event then they are free to start a new topic, but the comments here whether intentional or not appear to rubbish this event in particular.

It is sad that there is a persistence from some on this board to rubbish anything new and creative ...

Hmmm I thought the point of a flashmob is that all the participants appear from nowhere at the designated time/location, do whatever was planned, and then disperse back into normality just as quickly.

So if the plan is to meet in a pub before and after, then surely it's not even a flashmob, so why not just make the pub meet the event? Failing that, let someone else register the pub meet as a separate nearby event?

Hmmm I thought the point of a flashmob is that all the participants appear from nowhere at the designated time/location, do whatever was planned, and then disperse back into normality just as quickly.

So if the plan is to meet in a pub before and after, then surely it's not even a flashmob, so why not just make the pub meet the event? Failing that, let someone else register the pub meet as a separate nearby event?

Oh for goodness sake! It's something different - who REALLY cares what format it takes? If you don't like the look of something, whether it be a cache, an event, a forum thread, a particular cacher's caches, or anything else, put it on your ignore list so it doesn't give you grief.

As for how long the event is, I'm planning on attending a pub event soon which is only listed as being on for 30 minutes or so - who cares? No one seems to be making a song and a dance about that one. I can make it, hopefully, lots of people won't be able to - we can't ALL get to ALL the events we want to.

Edited to correct a typo before someone jumps on the bandwagon over it

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

O four goodnes sayke! Its sumething diferent - hoo REELLY kares wot fourmat it taykes? If yoo don lik the lok of sumething, wether it bee a cash, an event, a fourum thred, a particlar casher's cashes, or any thing els, put it on yoor ignor list soo it dosn't giv you greef.

As four hoow long the eveynt is, Im planing on atending a pub evetn son wich is oenly listde as beeing on for 30 minuts or so - hoo cars? No on seams to be mayking a song adn a dans abot that oen. I cna mayke it, hopefuly, lots of peeple wont bee abel to - we cant ALLL get to ALL the evenst we want too.

I managed to get a copy of this before the edit......tut tut tut...... ;):unsure::ph34r:;):ph34r::huh:

O four goodnes sayke! Its sumething diferent - hoo REELLY kares wot fourmat it taykes? If yoo don lik the lok of sumething, wether it bee a cash, an event, a fourum thred, a particlar casher's cashes, or any thing els, put it on yoor ignor list soo it dosn't giv you greef.

As four hoow long the eveynt is, Im planing on atending a pub evetn son wich is oenly listde as beeing on for 30 minuts or so - hoo cars? No on seams to be mayking a song adn a dans abot that oen. I cna mayke it, hopefuly, lots of peeple wont bee abel to - we cant ALLL get to ALL the evenst we want too.

I managed to get a copy of this before the edit......tut tut tut...... ;):unsure::ph34r:;):ph34r::huh:

LMAO! Its nice to see someone else has a sense of humour, I was beginning to think the whole world had gone all cliquey and whacky!