What do you do with your geotags?

forthferalz

I've been umming and ahhing about getting another :mad: coin made or not.

Geotags are pretty substantial being trackable - question what do most people do with their tags? Do you release, gift - do you trade only for like sized coins? has anyone found one in a cache? and ebayed it!!

Personally, I've been given 4 or 5 geotags as gifts, and those I enjoy simply due to the gesture. I would never purposely trade anything for one.

Remember, she asked for opinions <_<

I gifted and traded a bunch at GW5. I was there to trade for just about anything that people were willing to trade. Mostly, I got trades for other personals, some trackable, some not trackable, and some hand-crafted items (not even geocoins). After GW5, I traded for more of the GeoTags from the first customers. Then I released a few to travel, and I have one on my keychain in case I loose it at/near a cache -- I know it's gonna happen sooner or later! I have run out of them now and need to re-order, when funds allow!

One of the early customers was Islander1988, and I liked an idea that he had for them. He was using them as prizes for finders of his Puzzle Street cache series.

Personally, I've been given 4 or 5 geotags as gifts, and those I enjoy simply due to the gesture. I would never purposely trade anything for one.

You're welcome ? <_<

Actually, what I "traded" with Moop Along here was an excellent setup and hosting of a game of GeoCoin Poker at GW5, so it was a trade in a way..... remember, I said that not all my trades were for other coins, although I did get a cool GW5 LE Poker Marker, so I'd say I came out ahead in that trade. :mad:

You're welcome ? :mad:

Actually, what I "traded" with Moop Along here was an excellent setup and hosting of a game of GeoCoin Poker at GW5, so it was a trade in a way..... remember, I said that not all my trades were for other coins, although I did get a cool GW5 LE Poker Marker, so I'd say I came out ahead in that trade. <_<

I consider yours a special gift Scott, since I wasn't running that poker game to "get anything" in return. Perhaps my wording was a little thin, but the people who have sent/given me them as thank you's or whatever, those I enjoy very much :huh: Sound better? :mad:

I've been umming and ahhing about getting another :mad: coin made or not. Geotags are pretty substantial being trackable - question what do most people do with their tags? Do you release, gift - do you trade only for like sized coins? has anyone found one in a cache? and ebayed it!!

Released a bunch, kept a few, traded a few, given away a few...

The only ones that I have found in caches, so far, have been my own...for the most part, though, they have been traveling well (alas, some were swallowed by our local coin thieves but, it seems that if they can avoid being taken in the first one or two caches, they will go quite a while...)

I've ordered a bunch, for different purposes.

One design is a personal, which I've released and traded, and I've sold the odd one.

One I made specifically to sell on eBay and recoup some funds (though I also traded it).

One is a group coin which several of us went in on and I only trade.

One is an achievement coin for people who complete my Puzzle Street series, as mentioned (though I'm actually going to be selling them, a little above cost; my funds as a student only go so far :mad: ).

The final design was an event coin. It was the cheapest way to produce a trackable event design in low numbers.

I've reordered 3 of the designs. Two I've changed the colour scheme slightly, and they'll be available for trade, but I'll also be eBaying them to help pay for other things (like my new trade-only coin I've been trying to finish & get off to the mint for a month).

Edit to add: Oh, and I forgot, there was one more design. I did a special design for my trip to GW5 to have something new for trading there.

Edited by islander1988

I have traded and gifted mostly. A few in caches and even started a race for the kids with four from the Netherlands.

I was most excited when I went to an event in Cheyenne, WY and saw a few different designs that people brought to the event. Didn't sell to many if any in Colorado so nice to see them in the wild. :mad:

Released, traded, gifted. Love mine. I know a lot of folks were not happy with the first run but I really liked the way mine came out. Plus it was the first personal I did that while part of a group (kept the costs down - made it affordable) I was still able to have my own design on the one side. That I liked. <_<

DITTO! :mad:

All of the above :mad:

I have given some as gifts.

I have given some away as part of missions, usually over and above the requirements of the mission.

I have left one or two in caches as swag.

I have released heaps (a quick count gives me 14 out there travelling the world (NZ, Australia, Europe, US, Canada...)

And I guess the rest I have traded for other peoples GeoTags.

Other peoples GeoTags that I get, I now activate and take them to events, etc for others to see. I took them to Geocoinfest Aotearoa for the first time and people thought they were a really cool and easy way of doing a personal coin.

I've been given quite a few as gifts, mostly at GW5. I even have 2 from WSGaskins with matching codes! Others I received in trade for designing their tag, though I am still missing quite a few of those :D They are a great alternative to a personal coin I think. Especially for those on a budget! If I had some I'd likely trade and gift them. I like leaving things like that in caches, it's fun!

They certainly make good pond skimmers. :ph34r:

And how :blink:

You guys are out of line... they are not nearly big enough to make good pond skimmers. Too small to really get your fingers around and get a good grip. Compass Roses on the other hand skip much further and have a good heft to them. :blink:

Anyway, philosophically, what is the purpose of creating any geocoin? I'm in it mostly for the cool designs and the satisfaction of sharing it with others. A GeoTag allows you to have your own, personal and unique design -- just the same as a PathTag or CacheTag.

Enjoy!

-- Scott

They certainly make good pond skimmers. :)

And how :lol:

You guys are out of line... they are not nearly big enough to make good pond skimmers. Too small to really get your fingers around and get a good grip. Compass Roses on the other hand skip much further and have a good heft to them. :)

Anyway, philosophically, what is the purpose of creating any geocoin? I'm in it mostly for the cool designs and the satisfaction of sharing it with others. A GeoTag allows you to have your own, personal and unique design -- just the same as a PathTag or CacheTag.

Enjoy!

-- Scott

or as the HUGO character says in Rackteer Rabbit . . . "He's Funny, He Makes Me Laugh, Ah-hah!"

They certainly make good pond skimmers. :lol:

And how :)

You guys are out of line... they are not nearly big enough to make good pond skimmers. Too small to really get your fingers around and get a good grip.

You're right, they are way too light to pond skim... now the initial point or mega generics... those would skim well. :)