Sour grapes from a TB owner

drat19

Once the TB reaches it's goal, the owner can then decide on whether to submit a new goal for the bug, or allow it to roam freely. It's the TB owner's call.

Once a TB is turned out into the wild there is no owner. There is a person who released it but there is no ownership. Ownership denotes control over an object. The one who releases it no longer has any control.

How depressing to read all of the commotion over a "non-issue". Lighten up folks. This is not life or death stuff - just a fun hobby. Let's all just play nicely and try to be respectful of one another. Bottom line - enjoy life and caching. If caching becomes an aggravation - try another hobby!

hmmm - just found this thread.

1. When you release a TB or coin, or any trackable, it becomes public property.

2. If you have a goal for it, attach that goal to the trackable (laminated works best).

As many cachers will drop a TB into another cache same day or soon afterwards, without an idea of a goal, and not logging on until they are next by a computer, then you really can't grizzle.

I had matching TBs heading east and west - but both headed west to begin their journey. Oh dear - a log got it back on track, but is it worth berating someone who in their best intentions moved it.

It a bit like gambling - if you can't afford to lose it, don't place the bet! If you are attached to the TB item, don't release it. Find something else.

TBs and coins are fun,

ps.... we have yet to see a RED jeep down here in NZ, someone set one on it's way please!

Well, it has happened to me recently, and I was (am) pretty upset about it.

I released a TB, with a specific goal of traveling from me in California to a specific cache in Tennessee. Once it got to the cache, a friend in Tennessee was going to change the item on the tag, and it's goal would be changed to then come back to me. Fun, right?

After months of small hops and periods of inactivity, the TB was less than 50 miles from it's goal. A cacher, for some unknown reason, picked it up and took it 2 states (backwards) away...to sit in hibernation thru the winter.

Yes, I am very bitter about it.

edit to add: Yes, the tb goal is clearly indicated with the tb.

Edited by Ed & Julie