Problem Cache Owner

IANNA

Here is my issue and wondering if there is anything I can do other then grin and bear it. Anyways we have a cache owner in our area that set up a triad cache. Meaning a multi that two caches contain half to cords for a third final cache. Anyways about 2 months ago he replaced the log for one of the pieces and put the wrong cords in the cache so now we have both parts of the cache containing the set of N cords. I was able to get the west cords from another fellow cacher who found it before he switched the log. I sent the owner an email about this cache to get the cords from him before I requested the other cacher for the cords. I waited a week with no response from the owner. When I finally got the cords from my friend, I went and located it and logged it in. When I logged it I placed the missing set of cords in my log for other cachers who are having the same dilemma as myself (with the promise of when the cache is fixed with the cords I would remove them from my log.) About 15 minutes later I go a scathing email from the cache owner of how dare I post the cords and ruin his cache. After a few emails back and forth I finally removed the cords with the promise from the owner that he would have the issue corrected in a few days. I changed my log to say if you need the cords just email me until this is fixed. This was over 2 months ago and I am still getting emails from other cachers for the cords telling me he still has the N cords in both stages. Is there anything I can do about this neglectful cache owner?

If it were me,

and if getting EMails asking for help was really bugging me,

and if it were easy enough to go to the container needing the correct west co-ordinates:

I would just go and add the proper co-ordinates where they needed to be.

No fanfare, and no indication left that I did it, so as not to upset the owner any further.

On the other hand, shouldn't the cache owner be getting bombarded with critical EMail from dissatisfied 'customers'?

On the other hand, shouldn't the cache owner be getting bombarded with critical EMail from dissatisfied 'customers'?

I think that is part of the problem he is just refusing to answer his emails from the request. But I didnt think of putting the correct cords in cache as a thought. If there is room in the container I may just do that but it is a micro-nano

You could also log a Needs Archived on the now unfindable cache, just as you would if a stage of a multi were missing and unrepaired. This *might* activate the cache owner to get the correct partial coordinates into the correct cache.

That's what I will say, too; this way, you also may get the attention of the local reviewer who, if needs be in time, can probably be a bit more persuasive. ;)

Edited by JeepinCalifornia

I understand the frustrations you are experiencing but i don't think you should get involved with running that other person's cache. That would definitely include not posting coordinates in your log. I don't think you should even offer to help by posting that others can email you either. If you get a random email, then fine, but don't advertise to email you for an answer.

You're trying to help and everyone appreciates that but it's up to the owner to fix his cache. You brought it to his attention. If after a month, or in your case, two months,,, post an SBA on it. this will get a reviewer involved which might get the owner to do something. If he still doesn't, then it's good riddance to a worthless cache!

I sympathize with you!

And now it seems the final puzzle cache is broken according to the logs. Findable and logable but broken none the less.

You really have many choices as others have so kindly pointed out. Among them are:

1. You can modify your log and delete any reference to providing coords and just ignore the whole situation.

2. You can put the correct cords in the cache.

3. You can politely remind the owner that they promised to fix things

4. You can start documenting the problem on the cache pages and force the owner to repair the problems or work towards the archiving of the cache. If you take this approach you will undoubtedly generate some resentment with the cache owner and with a minority in the caching community.

Personally- here is what I would do:

I would log a "Needs Maintainance" log on both the broken final and the cache with the wrong coords. Plainly spell out the problems. Keep your personal thoughts out and stick to the facts.

Put the caches on your watch list.

Continute to supply coords when asked.

Keep an eye on what the cache owner does or doesn't do to correct the problem.

If nothing happens in 4 weeks log a "Needs Archived" log on both and document the problems in your log with dates and the circumstances.

From my experience your reviewers will take appropriate actions if you follow these steps. If both caches are still finable and logable they will probably post a stern warning to the cache owner that will result in archiving if nothing is done to fix the problems.

Here is a link to exactly what I am talking about on a Michigan cache that is still finable and logable but has serious problems: Foul Ball !!!! Cache

Tread carefully here! The Caching Police label is not one to acquire without serious thought.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

DeRock has a good approach which would be the way I'd go as well! And yes, being the C.P. isn't going to win you any friends from those that aren't holding up to their end, but when a cache is unfindable, it's just geotrash. I'd first contact the owner though.

Maybe the owner hasn't been out and can't get out? Another note to the owner wouldn't hurt. There are a number of reasons someone can't get out and maintain their caches, there might be something going on here. Has this person been active recently?

Definitely wrong to post the coords. An even to offer to supply them to others. Not your cache.

I'd probably log "Needs Maintenance" on both. Or ask the owner if you could put the proper coords in the cache, if you are so inclined. I wouldn't do that without his/her permission. It's his/her decision how to run the caches.

"Needs Maintenance" is the proper way to go.