Geocaching, Garmin, and Linux?

Difranco

I have the same problem, but I've used linux for years and started geocaching with a USB-enabled device earlier...

I havn't yet found satisfying applications, so I use a friends computer to link to the gps for now, and started to work on my own application... Hope it will be finished soon ;)

(right now I'm working on optimizing the backend database)

For transferring stuff to your device, gpsbabel runs on linux and supports talking over serial and usb both. It's the most versatile solution out there for transferring data.

For a geocaching database, I'll invite you to check out geoqo (http://www.geoqo.org/) which is written on linux (but works on windows and osx too). I just released 0.9 the other day which I consider to be the first release with a usable GUI...

I've never used GSAK, and I'm sure that geoqo doesn't do everything GSAK does. But I'm sure geoqo can do a number of things gsak can't too (cache density plots being the most popular)

Edited by Yamar

I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy (just upgrade from Feisty). I use a Delorme PN-20 with Topo 2006. To get around this, I use VMware server with XP Pro as guest OS. I use the Nokia N800 data tablet for paperless caching. The Nokia N800 is a great little item which connects blue tooth to my Motorola Razr and Verizon BBA. The Nokia N800 also run a debian OS. The system simplifies a lot of things as we cache from a RV during the summer months. No need to print anything and the data tablet will save geocaching.com pages in the complete format for offline viewing in the rare case I get out of cell phone range out here in the desert.

i am also looking into using Linux Only for geocaching.. the problem is i use a Micro$oft driven PDA... and i cannot get the sync program to work...

all tools i have found for working with GPX data are command line, i would to see a tool that has a UI and can do the things GSAK can do (using GPSbabel??) main things are:

import GPX files (zipped)

- sort caches by type

export to magalan formats

export to tomtom

export to html files for cache description (with the choice to not include the logs)

- filter founds

- export to maps.google

all tools i have found for working with GPX data are command line, i would to see a tool that has a UI and can do the things GSAK can do (using GPSbabel??) main things are:

- sort caches by type

export to tomtom

export to html files for cache description (with the choice to not include the logs)

- filter founds

- export to maps.google

FYI, geoqo can do all those things except export to maps.google (which doesn't allow that sort of support without a running webserver somewhere with your data on it). It can export to google earth, though, which will run on linux if you have a supported 3D card.

The current SVN tree for geoqo has new support for exporting to anything gpsbabel can handle (and is functionally has a GUI interface to gpsbabel prompting for the output type and the associated parameters).

(I've never used GSAK so I cant' offer a full feature comparison)

- sort caches by type

export to tomtom

- filter founds

- export to maps.google

FYI, geoqo can do all those things except export to maps.google (which doesn't allow that sort of support without a running webserver somewhere with your data on it). It can export to google earth, though, which will run on linux if you have a supported 3D card.

The current SVN tree for geoqo has new support for exporting to anything gpsbabel can handle (and is functionally has a GUI interface to gpsbabel prompting for the output type and the associated parameters).

(I've never used GSAK so I cant' offer a full feature comparison)

I did my best but i cannot get it to run in my SuSe machine(s) I havent tried my wifes Ubuntu yet

the error i recieve is

Fatal Error:
 You need to install the perl Getopt::GUI::Long perl module to get help;

Even better: if you want a Graphical User Interface, install the QWizard
 perl module and either the Gtk2 or Tk perl modules.

You can also read the online manual at http://www.geoqo.org/usage.html

according to YAST both modules are installed...

any help? (pm me if it would be to elaborate for the forum)

I did my best but i cannot get it to run in my SuSe machine(s) I havent tried my wifes Ubuntu yet

the error i recieve is

Fatal Error:
 You need to install the perl Getopt::GUI::Long perl module to get help;

Even better: if you want a Graphical User Interface, install the QWizard
 perl module and either the Gtk2 or Tk perl modules.

You can also read the online manual at http://www.geoqo.org/usage.html

according to YAST both modules are installed...

any help? (pm me if it would be to elaborate for the forum)

I'm not sure which modules you have installed and which you don't. The quick way to check is to run the "check-prerequisites.pl" script in the source code directory. It'll list all the modules that you need and more than are optional. If run as root it'll help you install the missing modules using CPAN as well.

You could also try reading the tutorials on getting started:

http://www.geoqo.org/wiki/index.php/Tutorial

I looked up gpsbabel with Synaptic Package Manager and it lists 1.3.2-2 as the latest version. Under supported formats it lists Garmin serial -- will it do USB as well? I'm looking at a Colorado 300, but I don't want to get anywhere near Windows to upload caches, POIs, maps, etc... Didn't find geoqo on the repositories I currently have enabled.

Also, does Garmin have a maximum capacity on the SD card for the Colorado units? Looks like the 1gb and 2gb cards are dirt cheap online.

As far as the Nokia N800, I have an N770 and a friend has an N800, and we have both been pleased with the Holux 1000 Bluetooth GPS receiver. We've both run it extensively with Maemo Mapper and had no issues other than it may temporarily lose the Bluetooth connection when you get near a cell site. Haven't tried geocaching with the N770 yet. I currently use a bottom-line Lowrance unit for geocaching -- it gets me closer than other units I have tried.

I looked up gpsbabel with Synaptic Package Manager and it lists 1.3.2-2 as the latest version. Under supported formats it lists Garmin serial -- will it do USB as well? I'm looking at a Colorado 300, but I don't want to get anywhere near Windows to upload caches, POIs, maps, etc... Didn't find geoqo on the repositories I currently have enabled.

Since the Colorado mounts as a drive, you should be able to write a GPX file directly to the Colorado from gpsbabel. All you need to do is write a gpx file to /Garmin/GPX/

Also, does Garmin have a maximum capacity on the SD card for the Colorado units? Looks like the 1gb and 2gb cards are dirt cheap online.

The max is 4gb.

--Marky

I looked up gpsbabel with Synaptic Package Manager and it lists 1.3.2-2 as the latest version. Under supported formats it lists Garmin serial -- will it do USB as well?

I'm always amused when people redistribute old versions of GPSBabel and leave out the doc.

GPSBabel has done Garmin USB on Linux for years.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_garmin.html

http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html