I had to SL with a _______.

meralgia

BLOOD

:( November 6 by Snoogans (531 found)

FTF @ 06:11!

This was a fun early morning adventure.

Good one Aggie Dude!

I parked in the parking lot by the Skeered Turtle at 0559. I set foot in the park at the legal open hour of 0600.

3/4 of the way to the cache I realized that I had forgotten one thing and only one. A PEN!!! No matter. QL is just a bit further on. I'll just nab the pencil from that if this'n ain't got a writin' instrument.

As it turns out, when I caught the barest glimpse of the embarassing container I thrust my hand in getting one dilly of a prick to the left index finger.

It was still dark and I didn't really wanna venture into QL territory, so I signed a mark IN BLOOD. Good thing I'm left handed. I signed a big F for FTF and left 3 Snoogans coins to prove my FTF.

Don't worry about the blood. I've had all of my shots including the HepC for my job as a first responder at my company.

There Aggie Dude. I've paid for your injuries doing my caches in blood :)

Sn :anibad::anibad: gans

Blood.

That's just not right

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :)

In my case, I was already bleeding and had no pen.

I mixed up an impromptu ink using sumac berries boiled with their roots in a container that I fashioned out of birch bark. I then hunted around until I found a crow wing feather, which I then whittled into a quill pen, using a improvised knife blade that I chipped from a flake of flint found nearby. By then, though, it was dark, so I did have to make a small torch by rolling a cattail in some pine pitch and igniting it in the fire that I had built earlier using the firedrill method.

In hindsight, I probably could have driven to the K-Mart down the street and bought a pen, but I guess I'm not always as logical as I might be. Oh, well...

I almost always carry a caching pen but once in a while I forget it. (And that's when I seem to need it the most). Once I hiked back to the car to get a pen and another time I used a golf tee that was in the cache to punch 3 holes on the next line in the logbook. When I posted on-line I told the story and that the 3 holes = n0wae.

It only happened once on a nano log. All I had in the car was a jumbo crayon. Started the usual full sig and realized it would eat up too much of the log. Left one (jumbo) initial. Since that experience I always carry spare pens and mini pencils for myself or to drop off in penless caches.

Nanos make it extremely hard to sign in full. You Have to use initials :D

I mixed up an impromptu ink using sumac berries boiled with their roots in a container that I fashioned out of birch bark. I then hunted around until I found a crow wing feather, which I then whittled into a quill pen, using a improvised knife blade that I chipped from a flake of flint found nearby. By then, though, it was dark, so I did have to make a small torch by rolling a cattail in some pine pitch and igniting it in the fire that I had built earlier using the firedrill method.

This reminds me of a cartoon:

A sergeant is marching some troops across a plain. They come to a tree that blocks their progress, so the sergeant starts barking out orders for the troops to get some tools and chop down the tree. One of the soldiers mentions simply going *around* the tree, and the sergeant barks, "Always taking the easy way out, aren't ya?"

At the top of a 500 foot or so scramble up a rocky slope, I found the cache. I opened the fresh, unsigned logbook and reached for the pen that is usually in my pocket. Crap. I remembered using it in my truck to figure out a multi a little while earlier and smacked myself for not returning it to my pocket. Upon checking my other pockets I realized I still had a travel bug tag that I picked up at a cache earlier in the day. I marked a new waypoint in my GPS, and named it with the travel bug tag number so I could log the bug's movement, then I left the tag in the cache as proof I was there.