Jeep TJ / GPS mount ?

Team Duckit

I just went through the same dilemma (2K TJ) and chose--for my Vista Hcx--the Ram Mount (Suction) Kit. Here's one for my GPSr: http://www.gpscity.com/ramb166ga16

I was torn between a permanent mount placed in the little "dash" area on top, or, a suction mount next to the preexisting radar-detector mount. I'm very satisfied and I'm glad I spent the money - each piece is well made and performs flawlessly. My rig rides a bit stiff and the vibration with this mount is quite minimal. The ball design really lets me position my GPSr in all kinds of ways if needs be, and of course, it's removable. The suction is extremely solid, but again, easily removable when it's time.

All depending, suction mounts inside your vehicle may actually be illegal in your state - California is one, for example, but--knock on wood--I have yet to be pulled over for the mount(s), let alone get extra fines when being pulled over for other reasons. (Hey - it's easy to get-on-the-gas in the straight-six. ;))

I'll try to get a picture or two up tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by JeepinCalifornia

I have the Garmin suction cup mount (not supposed to use these in CA, so don't tell on me) mounted to the windshield under the rear view mirror. It works great, even on the bumpiest of roads... I put it right in the middle of the dash. You can adjust all the angles so that it is aimed towards the driver at the optimal angle for viewing. I found if I support the bottom with something soft (I use leather case for my phone) it doesn't vibrate at all. Without the bottom support, it vibrates like crazy because it is just floating in air. I just mount the suction cup low enough so that I can slide the phone case on the dash and under the bottom of the mount.

Edited by FlagMan

I have the Garmin suction cup mount (not supposed to use these in CA, so don't tell on me) mounted to the windshield under the rear view mirror. It works great, even on the bumpiest of roads... I put it right in the middle of the dash. You can adjust all the angles so that it is aimed towards the driver at the optimal angle for viewing. I found if I support the bottom with something soft (I use leather case for my phone) it doesn't vibrate at all. Without the bottom support, it vibrates like crazy because it is just floating in air. I just mount the suction cup low enough so that I can slide the phone case on the dash and under the bottom of the mount.

Thanks Guys..........for all the great info on the mounts

I will check them out

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

We use this Ram Mount and have it screwed through the coin recess area on the dash with nuts and washers on the back in case it ever needs to be removed. There is a spot for the power cord to come up between the windshield and the dash.

Ram Monuting System

Here is an image from a local cacher, he riveted his on. You can see the power cord that neatly tucks back in against the windshield when not in use.

Mount