why do people lie about their numbers

wbsecore

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that with the distances involved and the area this person is talking about that it would be very exceedingly difficult to make 35 caches in 1 day. That was the impression I got from the original post.

I have no doubt that a lot of people do find 30, 40, 50 or even 100+ caches in one day. But maybe, in this instance, we need some people who have cached this particular area to comment on the plausibility of it.

I have not cached this area so I cannot comment or pass judgement in this instance.

To give the benefit of the doubt in even this situation, if you've been a few days on a trip and away from a computer it is really easy to accidentally log caches on the same day. I know I probably lumped a few days together recently on a long car trip, but I never thought someone would care enough about it and if I found it on the 14th or 15th means nothing to me personally.

I guess the bigger question here is why people are so concerned about the way others play the game. If the person gets some kind of twisted satisfaction by logging finds that they did not make, how does that affect the next person? It seems like there are so many options when it comes to directing your energy. Worrying about what others do is not fun. It makes you a sourpuss.

"..how does that affect the next person?"

Its not that it might affect a 'person', it affects the game. The more that these things happen and are ignored, the more chance that this game will appear to be a joke.

Why do you suppose that rules or guidelines exist? Suppose there were no rules in chess....baseball....hotdog eating contests? Cheaters are a drag on any activity. To ignore them quite simply breeds more cheaters and cheapens the activity, no matter what it might be.

Its not about me. Its not about you.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that with the distances involved and the area this person is talking about that it would be very exceedingly difficult to make 35 caches in 1 day. That was the impression I got from the original post.

I have no doubt that a lot of people do find 30, 40, 50 or even 100+ caches in one day. But maybe, in this instance, we need some people who have cached this particular area to comment on the plausibility of it.

I have not cached this area so I cannot comment or pass judgement in this instance.

"... a lot of people..." I do not believe that. How do you know that piece of factual information? :wub::D:D

Edited by Team Cotati
If the person gets some kind of twisted satisfaction by logging finds that they did not make, how does that affect the next person?

There are several ways. First off if the cache is actually missing, bogus 'found it' logs will indicate to other geocachers that the cache is actually there and they may waste their time and gas searching for it.

I know one geocacher who was enticed into a fruitless 100 mile round trip to look for a cache that was thought missing, then a phony find popped up on it. I've personally wasted a good bit of time looking for a missing cache that I chose specifically because it had recent "finds" that turned out to be phony.

Also if you are a cache owner, a found it log tells you that the cache is there and all is well. If that isn't the case you may delay needed maintenance because someone gets his jollies by falsely pumping his find count.

I had a cache that had several DNFs. I was about to make a maint visit when a 'found it' was logged, so I put off the visit. I later discovered the log was bogus and there was indeed a problem with my cache.

By logging a 'found it' on a cache you are essentially telling the geocaching community that the cache is there. If you are lying, it can and does affect other people.

"... a lot of people..." I do not believe that. How do you know that piece of factual information? :ph34r::surprise::)

Quote the whole phrase: "I have no doubt that a lot of people..." is not a factual statement, but a statement of opinion.

But, OTOH, do a search of NW caches with "Cache Machine" in the name and you'll find several hundred names of cachers who have done just that ("find 30, 40, 50 ... in one day") many time over. THAT is a statement of fact. ;)

"... a lot of people..." I do not believe that. How do you know that piece of factual information? :P:D:P

Quote the whole phrase: "I have no doubt that a lot of people..." is not a factual statement, but a statement of opinion.

But, OTOH, do a search of NW caches with "Cache Machine" in the name and you'll find several hundred names of cachers who have done just that ("find 30, 40, 50 ... in one day") many time over. THAT is a statement of fact. :blink:

I note that you omitted that 100+ thingie. And my opinion is that no such thing occurs. Especially in that 100+ range. But you are certainly free to further qualify your information. :blink::D:P

Edited by Team Cotati

I note that you omitted that 100+ thingie. And my opinion is that no such thing occurs. Especially in that 100+ range. But you are certainly free to further qualify your information. :P:P:P

Not omitted, it was included in the "...". We have had people do 100+ in a day at Cache Machines.

OK, I'll bite. What is a "Cache Machine"? :blink::D:blink:

Why do some people lie about their numbers? Why do some people have teams and make it appear like it is just them? We were up near international falls geocaching and a cacher claimed to find 35 in one day. Due to the travel we were only able to find 8 in one day with no stops.

LOL!! I think people need to take a look at International Falls, MN geocaching before they denounce this one. International Falls itself only has 15 caches within "city" limits. You have to drive a lot of miles down 2 track logging roads to get 35 caches. I'm not saying that it couldn't be done/hasn't been done, but it does considerably tax the imagination. We're not talking downtown Cleveland here, folks.

Edited by knowschad

I note that you omitted that 100+ thingie. And my opinion is that no such thing occurs. Especially in that 100+ range. But you are certainly free to further qualify your information. :P:P:blink:

Not omitted, it was included in the "...". We have had people do 100+ in a day at Cache Machines.

OK, I'll bite. What is a "Cache Machine"? :blink::P:D

Some orginized insanity disguised as an all day cache run followed by a dinner. There is a planned route with any where from 50 to 100+ caches listed, the idea is to run around with friends and get as many caches as possible. See travisl's profile for a list of past and future CM's. It's quite a big social event.

I note that you omitted that 100+ thingie. And my opinion is that no such thing occurs. Especially in that 100+ range. But you are certainly free to further qualify your information. :P:blink::P

OK, I'll bite. What is a "Cache Machine"? :blink::P:D

Some orginized insanity disguised as an all day cache run followed by a dinner. There is a planned route with any where from 50 to 100+ caches listed, the idea is to run around with friends and get as many caches as possible. See travisl's profile for a list of past and future CM's. It's quite a big social event.

With 'friends', eh? Yeah, that sounds like quite the social event. :D:D:D

With 'friends', eh? Yeah, that sounds like quite the social event. :):):)

Old friends, new friends or solo. As the day progresses the pack spreads out (some start in the middle, some run it backwards), but you'll always be running into people at this or that cache. Like the one cache at the Longview CM where there was a raft available so we could get the cache on the island - a great place to meet others as you waited your turn.

Forgot to add: Have you ever been to a dinner with 60-100 cachers after a mad day of caching? Yep, quite the social event! Talk about telling lies... :):)

Edited by The Jester

With 'friends', eh? Yeah, that sounds like quite the social event. :):D:)

Old friends, new friends or solo. As the day progresses the pack spreads out (some start in the middle, some run it backwards), but you'll always be running into people at this or that cache. Like the one cache at the Longview CM where there was a raft available so we could get the cache on the island - a great place to meet others as you waited your turn.

Forgot to add: Have you ever been to a dinner with 60-100 cachers after a mad day of caching? Yep, quite the social event! Talk about telling lies... :):)

No, I can't say that I have. Probably more fun than I could stand anyways. La dee dah. :):D:D

Why do some people lie about their numbers? Why do some people have teams and make it appear like it is just them? We were up near international falls geocaching and a cacher claimed to find 35 in one day. Due to the travel we were only able to find 8 in one day with no stops.

I don't care what any one says about the geocaching "Gods" being with you that day THERE IS NO WAY I'll repeat that THERE IS NO WAY some one can find 150 plus cahces in a single day PERIOD!!!

I

I don't care what any one says about the geocaching "Gods" being with you that day THERE IS NO WAY I'll repeat that THERE IS NO WAY some one can find 150 plus cahces in a single day PERIOD!!!

I guess there is a way you lie about them

11,000 plus finds

NO way

Hi dpglass - I have two friends with over 10000 finds. They have been caching a while, and cache a lot. Currently both are retired and cache and travel. Hardly remarkable numbers for someone who does it day after day after day, year after year.

I found 69 caches in 5 hours one day. The cache density in that area might have supported another 70 or 80 finds in that day, but not by me, both because I'd already found a bunch of what was there, and because I had lost interest and energy.

I've dropped out of caching caravans (cache machines) that found over 100 caches in roughly 14 hours. 6 hours of that is more than enough for me, but some of those folks kept caching into the wee hours of the night and got up to around 150 finds.

In any case, I find it mildly annoying that you would essentially call many many cachers that you don't know liars.

I certainly haven't been caching as much as I should be lately but I just did seven out of seven in about four hours today. I'm really happy with this because I hunt caches for exercise and I did it all on foot. There is no telling how many more I could have logged if I had been driving and planned it out. On the other hand, I had a great hike and got some sun and lots of fresh air.

That means more to me than the numbers in my log.

Now I'm going to consume a large pizza and pass out.

:)

I guess there is a way you lie about them

11,000 plus finds

NO way

Hi dpglass! You're just two counties north of me. Perhaps we'll meet up on the trails sometime. I plan on spending lots of time next spring in Northwest PA to do the Allegheny GeoTrail series of caches.

I'm one of those folks who you labeled as a liar. I forgive you, and it does not bother me. In the spirit of John 20:25-28, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. For starters, read my post in a recent discussion in our Northeast regional forum entitled "Ten Tips for 24 hour Cache Runs." Through the methods described in that post, and with the assistance of a local driver and navigator/record keeper, I was part of a team of two cache finders who found 240 caches in 24 hours a few years back. It's not something I feel like doing every weekend, but it was a lot of fun to accomplish that feat one time.

My next marathon goal is to find 100 caches in 24 hours "solo," doing all the driving, navigating and finding. There are several areas nearby where this is quite possible, such as the Akron/Cleveland area or the Erie PA area.

My last trip to Mercer County was on Sunday, May 6th. I went to Church here in Pittsburgh, and afterwards I had a nice drive up your way, two counties north. In the early afternoon, I started finding caches and I stopped at dinnertime, 35 finds later. Had I planned out a route in advance, and gone for 24 hours straight, I could surely have found 100 instead of just 35.

Again, I'd be happy to answer any questions. Lots and lots of people have found 100 caches in a single day.

Hey,

I might not be in the "Liar's Club" as it has been put (150+ caches in one day), but I would like to be some day :) It really is not that impossible to pull off in the right area and right amount of planning. The method Leprechauns described works very well for pulling off a feat such as that. A couple drivers and a good navigator go a long way towards being able to complete the feat. The most I have done in a 24hr period was just over 50...but we drove 500+ to pull all of them off (last new year's eve...who parties when one can cache :) ). We didn't really have a good plan built up...probably could have done more if we would have actually planned the trip...it was just one of those last minute trips. I am close enough to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, that should I really want to pull off the 150+ feat, I could with the correct planning and caching pals...regardless of the "Geocaching gods" be present or not.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I would be among the first to defend someone else's opinion even if I do disagree with it (trust me, I have been on the "other side of the fence" in many threads recently)...but be very careful with blanket statements...

dpglass, most likely you did not mean to offend anyone, but as you can tell, it can easily happen in the forums with so many readers and participants...don't take offense to replays either...they are bound to happen. Thick skin and a calm attitude go a long way to "survive" in the forums.

Later,

ArcherDragoon

I've dropped out of caching caravans (cache machines) that found over 100 caches in roughly 14 hours.

May I assume that they use the "One for All, All for One" method? Or does each one in the caravan have to discover the cache by themselves before the caravan can move on to the next cache?

What difference does it make? It's all subjective anyway. :)

I went with a large group on a series of 4WD caches. (36+ caches in 4 & 5 star terrain with 30+ cachers in 20 vehicles)

We all waited in line to sign the first two cache logs, but someone pointed out that the day was about havin' fun on the 4WD trails and not waiting in line to sign a log book, so we took turns signing GWIII4WD for the group after that. There was a big, fuzzy, LIVE spider guarding the cache I signed for the group. :)

I believe the GW3 Beach tour got 108 caches that day mostly walking from cache to cache. Cache density is off the charts in Jacksonville. My group was 60 miles away in the Osceola Swamp.

c64bdc87-c8e8-44cb-a3d0-87ce5aa17bd7.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

All you need is cache rich environment and good organization. Having fresh pocket queries and easily accessible .gpx files also helps. Division of labour in the field is also very important as well as an organized route. It's all about maximizing productivity and efficiency. The more eyes on the ground the quicker the cache is uncovered and the quicker you move to the next one. Piece of cake. With a little practice you too can find 20 in a day all by your lonesome!!

Sounds like it's making it more like work then an enjoyable sport.

All you need is cache rich environment and good organization. Having fresh pocket queries and easily accessible .gpx files also helps. Division of labour in the field is also very important as well as an organized route. It's all about maximizing productivity and efficiency. The more eyes on the ground the quicker the cache is uncovered and the quicker you move to the next one. Piece of cake. With a little practice you too can find 20 in a day all by your lonesome!!

Yup, it seems like a lot of work and it's hard to believe that some people can enjoy doing that with their spare time.

My mother-in-law spends HOURS cutting out shapes and letters and pictures of family and gluing these things down on a page of a book in a hobby that's called scrap booking. That seems like even MORE work than an enjoyable hobby. But she enjoys the results.

My uncle used to spend DAYS with a knife and a block of wood and he'd pick off little pieces at a time and make a huge mess he had to then clean up, only to be left with some sort of figure that sat on a shelf. He seemed to have fun doing it though, but that sure seemed more like work than an enjoyable hobby.

When I was in college I spent WEEKS sitting in front of my computer writing code that would allow you to play the game solitaire, just to see if I could do it. My roommate said that it seemed like a lot of work for something I could do with the deck of cards in his desk. I guess I was having too much fun to care how much work it was.

Anyone here spent more time than they care to admit to co-workers and family looking through the woods for a hidden ammo can that had worthless junk in it, just to be able to sign the log and head out for the next one?

You sound just like my wife.

Cathy, is that you?

I am new to the Casheing but it is a bit confusing to me. Why is it important who finds the most? Who the heck cares except the finder. I just don't get it I guess. It seems everything has to be a contest. Can it not be done just for fun? Just for the experience of being outside and enjoying the world?

It seems to be the same in other hobbies I enjoy. Metal Detecting for one. The adventure of being outside and enjoying a hobby seems to take back seat to "Who found the mostest and biggest?" Geeesh, who cares.

I see where some find 30 in a day or so and it doesn't make me in awe of them. I just shake my head as I don't see the adventure there. How much of nature and beauty could these people be taking in? I don't know.

I guess we are all different and that is good but numbers don't mean squat to me and never did. I always avoid people that have to be the biggestest and bestest. Something seems to be lacking...

That is just my opinion

I don't think anything about the numbers. I like caching. It doesn't matter if I find one a week or 100 a week.

It seems to matter to others more. I can not even tell you what the number of caches found in one day is for me personally. But I had a very good time!!!

I don't see it as the biggest and the bestest. I never post in logs, 1 of however many, because that isn't what really matters.

Cache runs in cache dense areas are fun. Finding an exceptional amount of caches in one day is quite invigorating. Some people don't get it. Some people do. With the gas prices what they area, if I'm traveling, I want more bang (cache finds) for my buck. I'm not against doing 1 or 2 caches in a day. I've found just as interesting and intriguing areas on numbers runs as well as hikes. That 11 stage multi counts the same as that drive by micro. :)

I like the gadgets. Caching with up to five GPS units, a PDA, online capability, and a laptop with mapping capability. If one runs out of a pocket query, in a few minutes, one can have a new PQ uploaded and continue on.

The folks that do the numbers runs understand the thrill of it and it isn't for everyone. That's what they make filters for. :)

You make your own adventure.

Like I said before.... Instead of asking why someone cheats, why don't you ask them how they did it?

Happy Holidays...

I don't think anything about the numbers. I like caching. It doesn't matter if I find one a week or 100 a week.

It seems to matter to others more. I can not even tell you what the number of caches found in one day is for me personally. But I had a very good time!!!

I don't see it as the biggest and the bestest. I never post in logs, 1 of however many, because that isn't what really matters.

Cache runs in cache dense areas are fun. Finding an exceptional amount of caches in one day is quite invigorating. Some people don't get it. Some people do. With the gas prices what they area, if I'm traveling, I want more bang (cache finds) for my buck. I'm not against doing 1 or 2 caches in a day. I've found just as interesting and intriguing areas on numbers runs as well as hikes. That 11 stage multi counts the same as that drive by micro. :)

I like the gadgets. Caching with up to five GPS units, a PDA, online capability, and a laptop with mapping capability. If one runs out of a pocket query, in a few minutes, one can have a new PQ uploaded and continue on.

The folks that do the numbers runs understand the thrill of it and it isn't for everyone. That's what they make filters for. :)

You make your own adventure.

Like I said before.... Instead of asking why someone cheats, why don't you ask them how they did it?

Happy Holidays...

Great idea. And I can guarantee you that the very next time someone claims some insane number, I'll do that very thing. Thanks.

Do you have anyone in particular in mind?

Gotta tell you that me and some of my buds ever once in a while talk about this and we really would like to know HOW they do it. Such incredible numbers...............astounding.

Here's a radical thought. Since this topic comes up fairly frequently in here, you'd think that some of these cache hounds would have provided that info already. Perhaps they have and we have just missed it. If so, there's a fair chance that we'll get notified shortly. :)

Edited by Team Cotati

Great idea. And I can guarantee you that the very next time someone claims some ridiculous number, I'll do that very thing. Thanks.

Gotta tell you that me and some of my buds ever once in a while talk about this and we really would like to know HOW they do it. Such incredible numbers...............astounding.

Just what is a ridiculous number?

Ask someone in your area that does numbers runs to let you tag along with them for one day.

Walkie-Talkies are a must so that everyone is on the same route. I could try and tell you how, but it is much more believable when you just do it. If possible offer to split the gas and ride with them, so that you can see how the extra gadgets and routing software works.

Happy Holidays

I certainly haven't been caching as much as I should be lately but I just did seven out of seven in about four hours today. I'm really happy with this because I hunt caches for exercise and I did it all on foot. There is no telling how many more I could have logged if I had been driving and planned it out. On the other hand, I had a great hike and got some sun and lots of fresh air.

That means more to me than the numbers in my log.

Now I'm going to consume a large pizza and pass out.

Now I like the way you think. It is very inspiring to think about the food possibilities if I can increase my cache grab, which in turn increases my exercise which in turn will entitle me to copius quantities of forbidden foods. I think for the first time I now understand why it's all about the numbers.

So, here's my plan. It's 8:40 on a sunny Sunday morning and if I leave by 9:00 I can probably (realistically at my pace with a 4 year old) do 25 caches today? That's double what I've ever done in a day. So that equates to an end of caching reward of a couple of pizzas, cheese sticks, extra dressing on the ceaser, a six pack of something, three ice cream sundaes with whipped cream and an entire box of Alka Selzter.

Now we're talkin my kinda cheatin' and my kinda numbers!

Great idea. And I can guarantee you that the very next time someone claims some ridiculous number, I'll do that very thing. Thanks.

Just what is a ridiculous number?

Ask someone in your area that does numbers runs to let you tag along with them for one day.

Walkie-Talkies are a must so that everyone is on the same route. I could try and tell you how, but it is much more believable when you just do it. If possible offer to split the gas and ride with them, so that you can see how the extra gadgets and routing software works.

Happy Holidays

I have yet to observe anyone in "my area" who does numbers runs. Routing software? What's that? Is that their secret?

A number greater than 80.

Uh, let's try that one more time....shall we?

"I have yet to observe anyone in "my area" who does numbers runs. Routing software? What's that? Is that their secret?

A number greater than 80."

Happy Holidays

Edited by Team Cotati
... Who the heck cares except the finder. I just don't get it I guess. It seems everything has to be a contest. Can it not be done just for fun? Just for the experience of being outside and enjoying the world?

I see where some find 30 in a day or so and it doesn't make me in awe of them. I just shake my head as I don't see the adventure there. How much of nature and beauty could these people be taking in? I don't know.

... I always avoid people that have to be the biggestest and bestest. Something seems to be lacking...

My personal outlook on numbers competition is similar to yours, but the beauty of this hobby is that each of us is free to do with our numbers as we please.

Caching is not an organized league sport; it's more like kids playing freely on a playground. Some kids might choose to organize their exercise by staging a makeshift footrace; some favor running in circles all by themselves just for the buzz; yet others prefer just to lie in the grass and look up at the clouds.

With no stripey-shirt officials blowing whistles at us over how we regard our numbers, it's ALL good.

24-hour records and such don't impress me either, but if the record-makers think they're impressing me and it makes them happy, that's cool. I think it's actually more likely they're not interested at all in what you or I think so much as they simply want to have a goal for themselves, a made-up reason to feel satisfaction. I don't have to understand why it's fun in order to accept it; if numbers competition enhances their enjoyment of caching and if it doesn't bother anyone else, I support it. (There are those who sometimes voluntarily choose to be bothered by it anyway, but that's another issue.)

I can't say I go so far as to "avoid people who have to be the biggestest and bestest," but neither do I generally feel compelled to participate in those competitions – and I see absolutely no reason to let them cause me to feel bad about my own find count.

If it's not hurting anyone, what do I care?

I agree. The only problem is some folks' competitiveness does negatively affect the rest of us.

Folks after large numbers who will read and then promptly ignore visitation restrictions, who aren't as stealthy as they should be, or simply don't care to put the cache back properly do hurt the rest of us. Granted it might not be the caching community as a whole that is directly affected, but it could be the cache owner directly, the cache owner through the land manager relations, or those finders who come after.

On the placing side, we have folks who place caches where the sole purpose is a smilie. I've learned to ignore any cache that is offered as "a gift" in the description. None that I've found up to this point has meant anything other than a gift of a smilie and had little, if any, further value. Others might not be so forthcoming and may actually be "stealth gifts." These are no less a waste of time if a smilie isn't important to you, but in a way worse as they actually draw you in to either make you do further research or actually visit the location. This takes away valuable time from visiting worthwhile caches. These caches are little more than chaff--unless you're all about the numbers. Only then are they gems.

Sure, folks should be able to pursue the hobby as they see fit. But that cuts both ways as the numbers hounds sometimes interfere with the way I want to participate.

I agree. The only problem is some folks' competitiveness does negatively affect the rest of us ....

You make interesting points as usual CR, and I would like to respond, but before I do so logic dictates that I must ask you a critical question:

Do you still consider me to be a forum troll, CR?

Your response to my previous post would seem to indicate that "no," you do not consider me to be a mere troll, but I'm sure you remember my reason for asking well enough that there is no need for me to post any reminder links this time around. I'm sure you can also understand why a "yes" answer from you would confirm the previously-described futility of any attempt on my part to discuss/debate anything with you.

This is my latest olive branch, CR: I will drop my demand for an apology if you will do me the honor of an honest and serious answer.

I don’t want to fight; neither do I need a hug. I just want to discuss the topic.

I would therefore be very grateful for a direct and clear answer to my very reasonable question:

Do you still consider me to be a forum troll, CR?

You sound just like my wife.

Cathy, is that you?

Ya, the divorce papers are in the mail.

Here's a radical thought. Since this topic comes up fairly frequently in here, you'd think that some of these cache hounds would have provided that info already. Perhaps they have and we have just missed it. If so, there's a fair chance that we'll get notified shortly. :(

Ask and ye shall receive! I've written many a forum post on this subject and the techniques used for finding lots of caches. Actually, I linked to such an explanation earlier in this thread; perhaps you overlooked the link. So, here is the post in its entirety.

Ten Tips for 24 hour cache runs:

1. Choose your caches in advance, filtering out multi's, unsolved puzzles, high terrain, long hikes, etc. Load only your target caches into your mapping software and GPS, so you won't be tempted to deviate from the chosen route. Select a cache-dense area where no team members have found a lot of the caches.

2. Skip isolated caches that are miles off your main route. Look for clusters of caches, like six in the same park or a long line of caches in a commercial district.

3. Where possible, plan your route to hit all the caches on the right hand side of a busy road (the one with all the malls, shopping plazas and big box stores on it), and then turn left one time and hit all the caches on the opposite side of the road during the return leg. You'll be amazed at how much time is saved by not waiting to make left turns. Over the course of 24 hours, this alone can mean getting up to five more caches.

4. Use turn-by-turn mapping software like nRoute or Streets and Trips, preferably on a laptop computer in the car. Don't just choose "next nearest," choose the cache that makes the most sense in light of the available roads. The large laptop screen makes it easier for the navigator to see the big picture and avoid mistakes. Hook the laptop up to a spare GPS, and track the vehicle's position in real time on the map.

5. Set a time limit after which you all agree to abandon a hunt, take a DNF, and move on to the next cache.

6. Plan your route so that the night time hours are spent in areas where it's legal for you to be there at night. Use the daylight hours to find caches in cemeteries, town parks that close at "dusk," and caches in residential areas.

7. Carry copies of the Groundspeak Geocaching Brochure to show to landowners or law enforcement officers. Record runs, especially the night time portion, are more likely to attract attention. Be honest about what you're doing, and in the vast majority of cases you'll receive a friendly wave to go about your fun. If you're told you are somewhere you shouldn't be, apologize and leave immediately.

8. Practice the same caching ethics that you would on any other geocaching trip. Sign each logbook. Log courteously -- don't slap giant stickers saying "Team Record Run" onto tiny microcache scrolls. Take reasonable care not to be spotted by muggles. Replace the cache exactly as you found it.

9. Appoint different team members to different specialized jobs -- driver, navigator and record-keeper are the essential ones.

10. The record-keeper should capture a few details about each cache as it's found, to make it easier for everyone to keep the caches straight when logging. Even a few cryptic notes like "Guardrail MKH @ Target - John found - log wet" will allow team members to write meaningful logs instead of copy-paste logs saying "1 of 150 caches found during a 24 hour cache marathon, TNLN, TFTC."

My personal best is 240 caches in a 24 hour period, using these techniques as part of a team that included one other finder plus a local driver and a local navigator/record keeper who did not participate in finding the caches and who did not give clues to the finders. It's not something that I'm itching to do again any time soon, but it's a lot of fun to try it once. If I tried a 24 hour marathon again, I would try to see how many caches I could find totally solo. Finding 100+ caches solo would be a cool goal.

In response to a great point brought up by Coyote Red, please take special note of tip #8. Just because you're in a hurry, that's no excuse to compromise a cache's location. It's better to skip that cache and move on to the next one. I recall doing just that earlier this year, when I drove up to an obvious guardrail cache. As I prepared to exit my cachemobile, a group of six motorcycles pulled up and parked right at that section of guardrail. I got back in the car and drove away!

In response to a great point brought up by Coyote Red, please take special note of tip #8. Just because you're in a hurry, that's no excuse to compromise a cache's location. It's better to skip that cache and move on to the next one. I recall doing just that earlier this year, when I drove up to an obvious guardrail cache. As I prepared to exit my cachemobile, a group of six motorcycles pulled up and parked right at that section of guardrail. I got back in the car and drove away!
I bet that's the number one reason why caches get muggled. The smiley is just too important to some people. I remember one time we came up to a cache that was stuck to the bottom of an outside table at a fast food restaurant. It was a stupid place to put a cache. Anyhow, one of the people I was with wanted to go for the cache anyhow because he needed it to help clear his radius. I talked him out of it, but if I had not been there....

A few months after my "high score" day of 240 caches, I searched through my finds to check on any of the caches we'd found that day that had been archived after that. I was very happy to see that all the caches were found subsequent to my own visit.

In fact, offhand I cannot recall *any* caches that have gone missing as a result of my visiting them and exposing the cache's "secret" to muggles. That's more of a record to brag about than a raw number count!

A few months after my "high score" day of 240 caches, I searched through my finds to check on any of the caches we'd found that day that had been archived after that. I was very happy to see that all the caches were found subsequent to my own visit.

In fact, offhand I cannot recall *any* caches that have gone missing as a result of my visiting them and exposing the cache's "secret" to muggles. That's more of a record to brag about than a raw number count!

Yes it is! :(

I just want to discuss the topic.

Then do so.

Nope. Not with you. That would be a pointless waste of my time.

In choosing not to answer my question you have answered it anyway.

Why should I discuss the topic with someone who has repeatedly accused me of making up an insincere and fictitious position for the purpose of stirring the pot? What would be the point? Your post is glaringly fallacious, but I suppose if I go to the trouble to demonstrate your fallacies you'll once again ignore the arguments and once again revert to attacking me personally, calling me "disingenuous" and telling me there is no way I can actually believe my own words.

Are you proud of that shallow tactic?

It doesn’t even make any sense: Why would you continue to respond to the posts of a person you have repeatedly called a troll, CR?

Moderators: Before you remind us to take this to the PMs I'll save you the trouble. Unless CR changes his mind this will be my last post here on the matter – besides, the PM thing has been tried in the past and proved equally pointless; this isn’t the first olive branch he has shoved back into my face. Today I made the hopeful assumption that CR's response to my post signaled a willingness to drop his name-calling and discuss things in good faith. That assumption was obviously over-optimistic.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

I don’t understand it, but at least I got my answer. Eh, it was worth a try.

KBI, the rest of us are frustrated, too. I'd like to discuss how it's possible to legitimately find 100 or 200 caches in a single day. I'm eager to answer any questions.

Meanwhile, your private conversation is going on. History teaches that this leads to threads being locked. This deprives others of the ability to discuss the subject at hand.

So, yeah, I wish you'd take it to PM's.

A friend found almost 100 caches in one day during a trip to Palm Springs a few weeks ago for an Event. The really neat thing was also the amazing creativity of many of the caches placed by Wheeler Dealers. :D

So, it is not only possible to find many, many caches in a day, if you are in that area, you also get very entertained by the caches . . . yes, even the Micros. :(