why do people lie about their numbers

wbsecore

Last weekend my "team" found 40 caches in 17 different counties. You callin' me a liar?

I regularly find 30 or 40 caches in a day, if that's what I feel like doing. Most recent was a 44 cache day by my "team" in North Central Ohio. You callin' me a liar?

My personal best is 240 cache finds in a 24 hour period. You callin' me a liar?

Yawn.

Who said I was calling you a liar. You sound like you're guilty of something. I live in northern Minnesota. are geocaches are far and few between. Up in international Falls the geo caches are stretched out. I'm sure in the middle of a city you could find 240 in one day. Where I live with the drive time it would take you week to do that. And like I said no one was calling you a liar. So stop acting like you're guilty of something. So have a nice day Geo caching and remember it's not about the numbers.

Last weekend my "team" found 40 caches in 17 different counties. You callin' me a liar?

I regularly find 30 or 40 caches in a day, if that's what I feel like doing. Most recent was a 44 cache day by my "team" in North Central Ohio. You callin' me a liar?

My personal best is 240 cache finds in a 24 hour period. You callin' me a liar?

Yawn.

Who said I was calling you a liar. You sound like you're guilty of something...

He's probably guilty of copyright infringment since everbody knows that Disney controls all Hampsters especially the ones named Hampton. Hampton was made famous showing off the Hampster Dance and song. What nobody really knows is that that's the Happy Hampster Cache Finders Dance and song. Lep knew Hampton personally. He's the one that taught Hampton about caching and the rest is history.

Edited by Renegade Knight

To each thier own, and game on.

Exactly. Everyone is entitled to participate in geocaching for whatever reasons they like. For most people, geocaching is probably just one of many hobbies and activities the can chose from. The can be very happy finding one or two cache in an afternoon. Better if these caches take them to some place interesting, perhaps combining the geocaching with a hike or a casual drive. A few people however have chosen to be active geocachers. They'll go find geocaches whenever they get a chance. But even here some people enjoy different aspects. Some plan weekend trips to find one remote high-terrain cache, others plan each outing to find as many caches as possible. Some are motivated by the little number next to their names in the online logs. For others this isn't so important. There are some like The Leprechauns who enjoys different aspects of the game at different times. Sometimes its that one tough cache that takes a weekend trip to get, other times its a day spent with friends or family casually finding caches, and once in a while Lep likes to see how many cache he can find in 24 hours. A person like this is likely to also keep good records of the caches they have found. There are a number of tools and websites that allow you to crunch this data and get statisitics. What is the average difficulty of caches you found? What is the average distance you travel to find caches? What is most consecutive days you've cache? What is the most consecutive days you didn't find a cache? Just because some is interested in these numbers doesn't make their geocaching less valid than someone elses. Nor does it mean that they view other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid then theirs.

"Nor does it mean that they view other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid then theirs." And you know this exactly how?

P.S. That would be "than" I believe. :unsure:

Edited by Team Cotati

...240 is still staggering to me because I know what it feels like to do 100. Doing 10/hour for 24 straight hours is definitely possible, but it would require that many of the caches be at Starbucks! :unsure:

Someday oh someday I'm going to break my personal record of 24 in a day.

24 eh? Not bad. We've done 14-15 something like that without really trying all that hard. We may try a numbers run next spring to see if we can double that, hard to say.

240? Nope, we ain't even gonna think about sumpin that crazy. :D

... Just because some is interested in these numbers doesn't make their geocaching less valid than someone elses. Nor does it mean that they view other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid then theirs.
"Nor does it mean that they view other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid then theirs." And you know this exactly how?
Reread Mr. T's post.

To boil it down, he stated that just because someone is interested in these numbers doesn't mean that he/she views other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid then his/hers.

He knows this because it's obvious. One person's interest in numbers does not make a statement as to whether they care about another person's reason for geocaching. The two issues are not inherently linked.

Edited by sbell111
... Just because some is interested in these numbers doesn't make their geocaching less valid than someone elses. Nor does it mean that they view other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid then theirs.
Reread Mr. T's post.

To boil it down, he stated that just because someone is interested in these numbers doesn't mean that he/she views other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid then his/hers.

He knows this because it's obvious. One person's interest in numbers does not make a statement as to whether they care about another person's reason for geocaching. The two issues are not inherently linked.

Knows............zip, as usual.

Team Cotati is right, I should have typed

Nor does it mean that they view other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid than theirs.

I don't know how anybody feels about anybody else's reason for geocaching - so that was probably a poorly worded sentence. In fact, one needs look no farther than these forums to find there are people who look down their noses at others who don't have a big number of finds, or never hike to a cache, or like to find caches hidden in lampposts. What I do know, it that criticizing someone for the reasons they geocache makes about as much sense as criticizing someone for preferring strawberry ice cream to vanilla :D

Team Cotati is right, I should have typed

Nor does it mean that they view other people's reasons for geocaching as any less valid than theirs.

I don't know how anybody feels about anybody else's reason for geocaching - so that was probably a poorly worded sentence. In fact, one needs look no farther than these forums to find there are people who look down their noses at others who don't have a big number of finds, or never hike to a cache, or like to find caches hidden in lampposts. What I do know, it that criticizing someone for the reasons they geocache makes about as much sense as criticizing someone for preferring strawberry ice cream to vanilla B)

You know what pardner, I really couldn't care less as to WHY anyone participates in the activity known as geocaching, period. I do however have interest in this topic of people "lying" about their find counts and related exploits. Hope that that clears up that mystery for you. :D:D:D

Of course, we've been presented with no reason to believe that anyone has lied.

To take it back to the OP, 35 caches in a day is not at all unheard of. If found that many on days where I have driven a few hours just to start geocaching and was traveling alone without much of a plan. Following some of the suggestions found in this thread, 250 is easily believed.

When the discussion is about "How many geocaches can a person do in 24 hours", it becomes a competition. It's important for competitions to have clear set guidelines and rules. In basketball, what if Team 1 got 2 points for each basket, while Team 2 only got 1. Declaring a "Winner" would be nearly impossible.

I TOTALLY believe that 250 caches is possible, but it's important to define what the rules and conditions were when the 250 caches were found within 24 hours.

I've heard that people will break up into different groups while doing these cache runs, and then combine the numbers at the end of the day. This would be considerably different than doing all the caches as a single group, which would be different than doing the caches solo.

You know what pardner, I really couldn't care less as to WHY anyone participates in the activity known as geocaching, period. I do however have interest in this topic of people "lying" about their find counts and related exploits. Hope that that clears up that mystery for you. :DB):D

Thanks for the clarification. One problem we have is that different people also have different ideas about what it means to be "interested in the numbers" There are people who believe that there is something inherently evil about numbers. People who are into numbers are all cheaters or people how are into numbers have caused the sport to deteriorate because they hide only lame micros. KBI and sbell111 are routinely criticized when they ask for proof of the assertion that numbers lead to bad caches or cachers. The people who believe that numbers are bad simply respond asking what is wrong believing what they believe. They want the people who don't believe this to prove otherwise. No body has any real proof one way or the other, so I doubt there will every be an end to threads like this one. My belief is that one can be into numbers and not cheat or lie about how many caches they found. My belief is that one can be into numbers and respect the choices of someone else to not be interested in numbers.

When the discussion is about "How many geocaches can a person do in 24 hours", it becomes a competition. It's important for competitions to have clear set guidelines and rules. In basketball, what if Team 1 got 2 points for each basket, while Team 2 only got 1. Declaring a "Winner" would be nearly impossible.

I TOTALLY believe that 250 caches is possible, but it's important to define what the rules and conditions were when the 250 caches were found within 24 hours.

I've heard that people will break up into different groups while doing these cache runs, and then combine the numbers at the end of the day. This would be considerably different than doing all the caches as a single group, which would be different than doing the caches solo.

There may in fact be a competition for the record number of caches found in 24 hours. However it has been pointed out many times since there are not agreed upon guidelines for doing a 24 cache run so it may be silly to view it as competition.

You are right that if we were to compare one person's 1 day record with someone else's you need to know what ground rules each cacher used for their cache run. I think Lep would be willing to answer specific questions about how he cached on the day he found 240 caches. Did he sign each log? Did he personally find each cache or were caches found 3 musketeer style by anyone in the group? He mentioned that he had a driver from the area who may have already found some caches, did that person "find" caches or provide a lifeline when the others on the team couldn't find a cache? Did the driver park and stop the car at each spot or did the driver wait in the car with the engine running while the rest of the team found the cache? Were the hints decoded and read before each search? etc. I'm sure the puritans will find something so they can claim the entire run invalid. Instead of viewing geocaching as a competition that needs referees to ensure every rule is followed, you can view this a fun hobby. Find counts are subject to interpretation. Always assume that people with a higher number than you have have a more liberal definition of "find" and there won't be any angst over the numbers.

I TOTALLY believe that it is possible to find 1,250 caches within 24 hours. B):D:D

I also TOTALLY believe that is possible to boast about such an accomplishment in a TOTALLY honest, forthright and TOTALLY open fully disclosed manner. Some day I hope that the few who like to boast about these accomplishments figure that out. :D:DB)

Edited by Team Cotati

To take it back to the OP, 35 caches in a day is not at all unheard of. If found that many on days where I have driven a few hours just to start geocaching and was traveling alone without much of a plan. Following some of the suggestions found in this thread, 250 is easily believed.

Totally devoid of context and details, 250 is in no way to be believed, period. :(:D:D

35 and 250 ought to not be uttered in the same breath. :D

The thing that everyone forgets is that finding these caches are like shooting fish in a barrel. I don't really like the fish in the barrel caches anymore. So it would be fun to try some other things like most multis in a day or most caches with terrain>2 in a day. Another idea would be to find one cache of each terrain rating in a day (the cycle). It's all just stuff to keep you entertained. If someone didn't believe me I wouldn't care because I know the truth and so do my friends. :D

Edited by TrailGators

Lep,

Were you present at each cache when it was found during the run?

If so, that's absolutely amazing! Great job!

If not, then how many did you actually find during the run?

As I understand the story, Lep and Carlene were together for each find and signed every logbook. Same for the group that broke their record a few months later.

The most recent attempt at the record did involve the team breaking up and searching separately which was one of several reasons that some people don't recognize that run as legit. Kind of the Barry Bonds version of the 24 hour record.

You are right that if we were to compare one person's 1 day record with someone else's you need to know what ground rules each cacher used for their cache run. I think Lep would be willing to answer specific questions about how he cached on the day he found 240 caches. Did he sign each log? Did he personally find each cache or were caches found 3 musketeer style by anyone in the group? He mentioned that he had a driver from the area who may have already found some caches, did that person "find" caches or provide a lifeline when the others on the team couldn't find a cache? Did the driver park and stop the car at each spot or did the driver wait in the car with the engine running while the rest of the team found the cache? Were the hints decoded and read before each search? etc.

I agree that it's pointless to compare any two days of geocaching, whether it's 24 finds or 240, unless both days are accomplished under the exact same conditions. Since it's not a competition, I have no particular interest in running a timed course.

What I *did* do is to be part of a team of two finders, supported by a local driver and navigator, who beat the prior record (238) for a 24 hour cache run in the Nashville area. I've always been happy to spell out the conditions under which that feat was accomplished. You'll see that each and every log gives credit to the local driver and navigator-- without them and the route they planned, the goal could not have been achieved. An unsupported solo run would most likely have produced a much lower total find count.

Here are the specific answers to your questions:

Yes, all logs were signed by one or the other of the two cachers, in ink, no stickers. I either signed it myself or watched the log being signed.

Both finders were present at each and every find -- no splitting up.

The caches were found "Three Musketeers" style -- but since most were guardrails, lamp posts, street signs, etc., there wasn't a lot of suspense like you'd get from playing "Huckle Buckle" style. It was more like Player 1 lifted the lamp post skirt, allowing Player 2 to remove the film canister.

We cached that day off of just the coordinates -- no cache descriptions, no hints. (Exception: we were told what info. had to be collected for virtual caches, and we took digital photos of that info.) If we got stuck, the navigator/record keeper would tell us the information that was on the cache page. Mostly we did not get stuck! We had no advance notice of which caches we would be finding. The two finders had never been to Nashville prior to that weekend.

The driver and navigator stayed in the car unless one of them hadn't found the cache, or if there was a bit of a walk to the cache. They did not provide hints on caches they had previously found, like "look over there behind that rock." Some of the hunts took 20 minutes because of this. Other times, the driver would pull up near a lamp post as our GPSr's zeroed out, and he would say "I ain't tellin' you where it is!" That still makes me smile.

I am happy to give honest answers to other honest questions. Thanks for your interest.

Edited by The Leprechauns
When caching with friends, there is a way to do it so everyone has a chance to find it. We usually just keep looking as if we haven't spotted it, eventually wandering away from GZ and sitting down.

Of course if you're on some sort of daily record binge, this won't work as speed is key. But at least everyone gets to 'find' the cache!

I tend to disagree. My caching partner and I have a personal best cache run of 47. This is with using the method you mentioned. We always walk away and just announce "Found it!" We enjoy small roadtrips like this. We cache all day well into the night and usually run 100-200 miles.

On the day we found 47 we had two sit down meals (can you say Hooters?) actually three counting breakfast, a stop at a local historical site, and several stops just to check the wow factor of some of the caches we hit that day. To top it all off, one of the calipers went out on my truck and we actually had to stop and waste an hour and a half replacing that in the AutoZone parking lot. (Just let me add, thank God for the guys at the AutoZone in Aberdeen, NC.)

Yeah these numbers can be done and you can find decent quality caches while doing it. If it's your thing, go for it. We enjoy it. It's probably one of the few times during the year me and my buddy get together and have fun together on these "hunting trips".

Doc

Totally devoid of context and details, 250 is in no way to be believed, period. :(:D:D

Hmmm. Perhaps you should read the post again.

I realize from your posts in this and other threads, that you like to be contrary sometimes to the point of possibly being disingenuous, but how can you disagree that 250 is possible if a group were to use methods discussed in this thread (such as in post 139), given that other cachers are already on the record coming very, very close to that number using many of these methods?

Hmmm. Perhaps you should read the post again.

I realize from your posts in this and other threads, that you like to be contrary sometimes to the point of possibly being disingenuous, but how can you disagree that 250 is possible if a group were to use methods discussed in this thread (such as in post 139), given that other cachers are already on the record coming very, very close to that number using many of these methods?

"Totally devoid of context and details, 250 is in no way to be believed, period." :DB);)

The same applies to 150, 300, 350, 400,........................amazing.

Given enough time, people, equiptment and preparation, there is no telling what the upper limit of human achievement can be. I doubt that we have seen even the slightest indication of what that might be in the world of geocaching record setting.

Edited by Team Cotati

Why do some people lie about their numbers? Why do some people have teams and make it appear like it is just them? We were up near international falls geocaching and a cacher claimed to find 35 in one day. Due to the travel we were only able to find 8 in one day with no stops.

People, for the most part, don't "lie" about their numbers. They just don't understand them. Two vastly different things. :D:D:D

If I virtually visit a virtual cache, can I log it as a find? I really need to bump my numbers up, or I'll be looked down upon and be treated with disdain as a newbie for years to come at this rate. :D

Only if you don't come in here and blab about it. :D:(:D

You have been granted permission.

Edited by Team Cotati
If I virtually visit a virtual cache, can I log it as a find? I really need to bump my numbers up, or I'll be looked down upon and be treated with disdain as a newbie for years to come at this rate. :D
Most owners of virtual caches would not allow the find to stand if they believed that you did not actually visit the location.

Here's a thread that discusses this very issue.

People, for the most part, don't "lie" about their numbers. They just don't understand them. Two vastly different things. :D:(:D

Agreed. People who disbelieve someone else's claim about their numbers generally find it easier to accuse that person of cheating instead of asking questions to understand what/how the person counted their finds. I think every claim should come with a Truth In Numbers statement. :D

Only if you don't come in here and blab about it. :D:(:D

You have been granted permission.

Silly me. I spent four hours and climbed a mountain just to find this one cache. GC4B19

What was I thinking? I could have gotten 40 lamp post micros in the same time frame and be held in much higher regard and esteem for my higher count find. ;)

People, for the most part, don't "lie" about their numbers. They just don't understand them. Two vastly different things. :D:(;)

Agreed. People who disbelieve someone else's claim about their numbers generally find it easier to accuse that person of cheating instead of asking questions to understand what/how the person counted their finds. I think every claim should come with a Truth In Numbers statement. :D

Guilty until proven innocent. :D

Anyhow, who cares if these people don't believe? Is it that important?

Edited by TrailGators

People, for the most part, don't "lie" about their numbers. They just don't understand them. Two vastly different things. :D:(:D

There should be need to ask "how" to understand a particular count.

If a person says "I found xxx caches in a 24 hours period", that is a clear, concise statement they personally found each and every cache. Otherwise the poster is being disingenuous. That’s a fancy, kinder way of saying "lying." The poster should claim 'We found xxx caches acting in a group of cachers who split up', or 'I found xxx caches with a local guide driving me to with feet of each skirt lifter, and didn't care how many muggles saw me make the grab I was going for numbers.'

And I still say it is a physical impossibility for one person to locate 240 caches in a single 24 hour period without a huge amount external help. Apparently all stories given yet backup my claim.

SD

Edited by scuba dude

If a person says "I found xxx caches in a 24 hours period", that is a clear, concise statement they personally found each and every cache. Otherwise the poster is being disingenuous. That’s a fancy, kinder way of saying "lying." The poster should claim 'We found xxx caches acting in a group of cachers who split up', or 'I found xxx caches with a local guide driving me to with feet of each skirt lifter, and didn't care how many muggles saw me make the grab I was going for numbers.'

And I still say it is a physical impossibility for one person to locate 240 caches in a single 24 hour period without a huge amount external help. Apparently all stories given yet backup my claim.

SD

That largely depends on your definition of 'help'.

If I cache with my wife, am I getting external help?

If I prepare a route using S&T, have I gotten external help?

If I am visiting a new area and a local drives me around (but doesn't give me clues), am I getting external help (or just support)?

If I ask you where the nearest McDonalds is, am I getting external help?

BTW, most people who have logged huge numbers have not split up. I truly feel that bringing that issue up only serves to pollute the issue.

Just out of curiousity and not really on topic, but sorta, what does the map on your profile page represent?

Edited by sbell111

People, for the most part, don't "lie" about their numbers. They just don't understand them. Two vastly different things. :D;)B)

Guilty until proven innocent. :D

Anyhow, who cares if these people don't believe? Is it that important?

"Is it that important?". You're kidding.....aren't you? B):D:(

11 is our personal best. If you look at the area we did them in you might not believe that we didn't get more. Oh well, we did our best.

Uperdooper, if you're looking you may notice - WE GOT YOUR HAT!

Not bad dude!! Did you have a navigator helping? Helicopter spotter? Trailering a porta potty? Bot Scout Troop # 9845 in the back?

If not, great job and congrats!!! :D:D:D

SD

If you had a string of 240 caches under piles of rocks in the desert, then one guy on a dirt bike could easily find all of them in 24 hours. :D

SD

SDude, yours must be the size of Texas. I'm impressed. ;-) :D;)B)

SD

If you had a string of 240 caches under piles of rocks in the desert, then one guy on a dirt bike could easily find all of them in 24 hours. :(

Please do let us know when you complete that adventure, will you? :D:D:D

Unfortunately we live in a world where a small group of people whom I call puritans believe that it is important that we have a strict definition of finding a cache. Those who log a 'Found It' using a different definition are liars or cheaters. Those who don't agree with the puritans' definition of a find cheapen and degrade geocaching. Any claim made about numbers of caches found is immediately subject to challenge by the puritans since is likely based on a false definition of a find. Perhaps they would like Senator Mitchell to investigate claims by high numbers cachers and name names of those that have cheated.

Fortunately, the puritans are a minority - although a vocal one in these forums. They are perhaps encouraged when people agree with them on certain issues like signing the log, not counting armchair virtuals, or only logging one attended log on an event you attended. They don't seem to be discouraged when people say that when they cache with friends they all claim a find if anyone in the group finds the cache or when a couple that uses a team account logs a find if only one of them was actually there to find the cache while the other was finding caches somewhere else that day.

I for one will proudly wear any scarlet letter that the puritans put on me. So long as I can enjoy geocaching, I have no problem with how The Leprechuans managed to find 240 caches or how Ventura_Kid found as many as he has. Those who want to ruin a perfectly good activity by worrying how other people count are welcome to their opinions.

BTW, I also congratulate cachers who spent a day climbing a mountain to find just one cache or took several days to complete a difficulty multi. These accomplishment deserve recognition just as much as a 24 hour run.

Edited by tozainamboku

SD

If you had a string of 240 caches under piles of rocks in the desert, then one guy on a dirt bike could easily find all of them in 24 hours. :)

Please do let us know when you complete that adventure, will you? :D:P:D

Ha ha, funny....

Unfortunately we live in a world where a small group of people whom I call puritans believe that it is important that we have a strict definition of finding a cache. Those who log a 'Found It' using a different definition are liars or cheaters. Those who don't agree with the puritans' definition of a find cheapen and degrade geocaching. Any claim made about numbers of caches found is immediately subject to challenge by the puritans since is likely based on a false definition of a find. Perhaps they would like Senator Mitchell to investigate claims by high numbers cachers and name names of those that have cheated.

Fortunately, the puritans are a minority - although a vocal one in these forums. They are perhaps encouraged when people agree with them on certain issues like signing the log, not counting armchair virtuals, or only logging one attended log on an event you attended. They don't seem to be discouraged when people say that when they cache with friends they all claim a find if anyone in the group finds the cache or when a couple that uses a team account logs a find if only one of them was actually there to find the cache while the other was finding caches somewhere else that day.

I for one will proudly wear any scarlet letter that the puritans put on me. So long as I can enjoy geocaching, I have no problem with how The Leprechuans managed to find 240 caches or how Ventura_Kid found as many as he has. Those who want to ruin a perfectly good activity by worrying how other people count are welcome to their opinions.

BTW, I also congratulate cachers who spent a day climbing a mountain to find just one cache or took several days to complete a difficulty multi. These accomplishment deserve recognition just as much as a 24 hour run.

Unfortunately we live in a world full of excuse makers. :):P:D

Sadly it seems as though a disproportionate number of them have chosen to reside in this www site.

I have yet to see a good long term result of excuse making.

Edited by Team Cotati