why do people lie about their numbers

wbsecore

Why do some people lie about their numbers? Why do some people have teams and make it appear like it is just them? We were up near international falls geocaching and a cacher claimed to find 35 in one day. Due to the travel we were only able to find 8 in one day with no stops.

Why do some people lie about their numbers? Why do some people have teams and make it appear like it is just them? We were up near international falls geocaching and a cacher claimed to find 35 in one day. Due to the travel we were only able to find 8 in one day with no stops.

35 caches in a day, by a single person, is not uncommon if a trip is well planned.

Last weekend my "team" found 40 caches in 17 different counties. You callin' me a liar?

I regularly find 30 or 40 caches in a day, if that's what I feel like doing. Most recent was a 44 cache day by my "team" in North Central Ohio. You callin' me a liar?

My personal best is 240 cache finds in a 24 hour period. You callin' me a liar?

Yawn.

Why do you care that they lie about their numbers?

I found 23 caches with a two and a half year old, a couple of days ago. I was away from home for about 7 hours, and I drove 130 miles. I've also found 36 on a 12 hour day, and 54 caches on a 17 hour day. Never assume that it isn't possible to find and log so many finds.

Now if you want to learn about cachers who truly lie about their finds, visit Found it = Didn't find it

Edited by Kit Fox

A lot of it is really about choosing a location and careful planning, I found 22 in a day recently ... not an earth shattering amount, but I do use a wheelchair and there are lots of logistics to be sorted that normals won't have to cope with.

In your post you imply that someone lied about their figures, do you have evidence for that or was it just an assumption? Are you suggesting that several people who cache as a team split up and found caches individually and then logged them under one account?

The thing is, everyone plays the game differenty, even if someone did that, it isn't really against any rules as such, (although not something I would do) unless of course they were claiming some sort of record, then people would have some angst about it.

I am not at all a numbers person, and it is rare that I ever choose to hunt more than five caches in a day or more than ten or twelve caches in a month. In fact, I often choose to go after only one or two caches per month, unless I am traveling in a new area, where I may be a bit more industrious about finds. On the other hand, my wife Sue, particularly when she is caching with numbers-oriented geo-friends, will often find 40 or more caches in one day. Personally, I would not enjoy such power-caching trips, and would never do one; I have much better things to do with my life than to spend 14 to 16 hours per day geocaching. However, my disinclination to find that many caches does not mean that the folks who find 40, 60, 80 or 200 caches in a day are lying. It just means that they are way more fanatical and obsessive and driven (and insane) than me!

Having said that, just because you cannot find, or do not choose to find, more than eight caches in a day does not mean that the high-number finders are lying. That is just your own projection. Incidentally, there are indeed a number of ways in which some cachers do choose to inflate their smiley count in hokey and silly ways, and a number of these strange methods are often discussed -- and ridiculed -- on the forums. In fact, one of my recent threads lampooned event caches and the practice of logging numerous "attendeds" for events.

Oh, and I am not sure what your shot at teams was all about, but there is nothing wrong with team efforts to hunt geocaches.

By the way, in closing, let me perform the obligatory mention of goats in this thread to fulfill Groundspeak forum requirements:

Goats are nice. Goats would never inflate their find counts. Goats would never bother to hunt hundreds of caches in one day, either.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

All you need is cache rich environment and good organization. Having fresh pocket queries and easily accessible .gpx files also helps. Division of labour in the field is also very important as well as an organized route. It's all about maximizing productivity and efficiency. The more eyes on the ground the quicker the cache is uncovered and the quicker you move to the next one. Piece of cake. With a little practise you too can find 20 in a day all by your lonesome!!

Now there have been teams who will split up and take credit for the finds by their other teammates for caches they never even visited but that practise is so frowned on by the community.

I agree with you....but just remember, the only one they are cheating is themselves!!! At least I know my finds are honest and true.

Umm, what?

If you plan things right, the caches flow. Our best day so far is 32 finds, but I know that we can do more.

The problem is that a cache-crammed day is not as much fun as an enjoyable day spent hiking the trails. ;)

It does, however, give one a good idea of the quality of hides in a particular area.

We'll be heading back to Wenatchee soon based on our recent caching trip. Too fun! :yikes:

Umm, what?

If you plan things right, the caches flow. Our best day so far is 32 finds, but I know that we can do more.

The problem is that a cache-crammed day is not as much fun as an enjoyable day spent hiking the trails. ;)

It does, however, give one a good idea of the quality of hides in a particular area.

We'll be heading back to Wenatchee soon based on our recent caching trip. Too fun! :sad:

:yikes:

Why is it always that someone is lying. Why not ask how it is done?

Edited by Better Half

I've done 103 in a single day, and that was with fairly minimal planning in a very cache rich environment. I've done 40+ many times without thinking about it.

Of course, anytime you do a numbers run you generally get pretty crappy caches. But if you're up for the challenge of "how many can I do in a day" ...

I do want to see how many I can do while riding a goat.

It is possible!

With good planning and some free time we found 30 caches on Saturday during a 250+ mile drive from Kalispell, MT to Great Falls, MT by way of Shelby, MT. And we skipped a bunch due to construction and my brother getting hungry. ;)

Not only is it possible, it is fairly easy to do if you stay focused and have a plan.

Even better, all 30 of the caches we found were in great locations and neat places to visit along rivers or at scenic viewpoints or otherwise interesting parks.

-J

I've done over thirty a couple times. My best so far has been 45 in one day (Jan 27, 2007). On that day the last one was by flashlight after dark. The funny thing was that it was on a seldom used county road and as I was signing the log another car came along and slowed down. I was prepared to explain Geocaching and that I was not broke down. As the car came along side me, the window rolls down and a voice calls out "Did you find it yet?" It was another geocacher ;)

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that with the distances involved and the area this person is talking about that it would be very exceedingly difficult to make 35 caches in 1 day. That was the impression I got from the original post.

I have no doubt that a lot of people do find 30, 40, 50 or even 100+ caches in one day. But maybe, in this instance, we need some people who have cached this particular area to comment on the plausibility of it.

I have not cached this area so I cannot comment or pass judgement in this instance.

I almost always cache alone on Saturdays and my personal record is 25 in a day; quite frankly I'd had enough by then! There are teams that only seem to do geocaching 24/7 365 days a year!

It depends how/where you cache. I did 20 or so in one 6 hour bike ride along a canal towpath, the 25 above included a dozen or so in woodland only a couple of miles apart, so with careful planning you found one every quarter of a mile

I was recently in California and did 20 in 3 hours, most on foot - that sort of cache density is rare in the UK

When I uploaded my finds to INATN, I discovered I had logged two caches twice - when I checked I found that I had written notes for a revisit to drop off TBs, but had recorded it as a find. An easy mistake, now corrected

So some may be 'cheating', some may be making errors, some are probably doing it!

Personally I am much more impressed by cachers like Dorsetgal and The Wobbly Club, who have amassed a very respectable number despite the complexities of wheelchairs, crutches etc. Puts me to shame!

I can´t understand why someone wants to find 30+ caches in a day ?

For me caching is about finding new interesting places and enjoy the area, not chasing numbers

but that´s just me

Faced with a choice between seeing 10 interesting places in a day vs. seeing 15 interesting places, I will choose to see 15 pretty much every time. If I see something I want to investigate further, I stop and take the time to do it. That could be a cemetery with lots of veterans to salute, or a scenic overlook requiring a dash back to the car for the camera, or a playground that "detains" my daughter, or an inviting 4WD route to the cache which causes me to leave the direct, paved route five miles early. (These are all real examples from the past two weeks.)

If I happen to stop along the way for a park and grab between caches at more interesting places, it's part of the journey, and doesn't delay me more than a few minutes.

I rarely know at the beginning of a caching day whether my find count will be 10 or 25. And, frankly, I don't care.

I care when someone lies about anything. Doesn't matter if it's a little thing like this or not, it's still a lie and it's wrong! :yikes:

But, to the OP,,, 35 caches in a day is childsplay for many cachers. We have had several outings where we found more than that in less than a day. This may seem impossible to you but believe me, it's fairly easy to do if you plan ahead. ;)

I care when someone lies about anything. Doesn't matter if it's a little thing like this or not, it's still a lie and it's wrong! :mad:

If a team of people want to find caches separately and log them on one account (not that the team referenced in the OP is doing that), because that's how they've decided to do it, how is that "wrong"?

How does that hurt you?

How is that a lie?

Why do you get to decide what is the right way for that team to cache?

I went to Vegas last year and left the other part of my team home since he couldn't get permission from his better half to go. I found around 10 or so caches (maybe more, my memory isn't good) while there and he and his son found around that many as well. We still counted them all since one of us was there to find them. I have since gone back and found many of the ones he found, but we've yet to return to Vegas.

Our personal best was made when Tod wasn't with us, just KAboom and myself (from our team, there were several others along). A trip to find the BoBs run in Chicago...101 found that day!

I find it refreshing to find that stats DO matter to many of us and that some are actually proud to share their stats!

Why do people lie about their age, weight, income, car they drive...etc.?? :mad:

Why do we care when people lie if it doesn't have any effect our our enjoyment of geocaching or anything else?

There may not be a lot of caches in your area, but unless the majority of them are multis with more than two stages, or extreme terrain, or long hikes, 30+ finds in a day isn't that big a deal.

And what does being part of a team have to do with how many caches are being found?

I care when someone lies about anything. Doesn't matter if it's a little thing like this or not, it's still a lie and it's wrong! :mad:

If a team of people want to find caches separately and log them on one account (not that the team referenced in the OP is doing that), because that's how they've decided to do it, how is that "wrong"?

How does that hurt you?

How is that a lie?

Why do you get to decide what is the right way for that team to cache?

Not completely sure you are replying to my post but i think you are. I never said anyone was lying. I was responding to superbone's post where he asked, "why do you care if they lie about their numbers". As far as i know, no one has lied about anything in this thread. It's that he implies that it's ok to lie because it doesn't affect anyone. It's the principle of the matter for me, and i disagree with his statement since i see lying in general as being wrong.

To answer your question about a team splitting up. It would be important if there was some kind of compettion, ie,, most caches in 24 hours, an event contest where teams are supposed to stay together, etc,.. Otherwise, i don't really care if a team wants to cache that way. <_<

My 9yr old and I did 21 at an event the other week and we were taking a laid back day chatting at the event and caching with groups of kids.

Yesterday's total was three after a 20 mile hike up 3 mountains. I know which I prefer, though it's a shame it's too hard for my son right now.

Anyone can pick a box up from the side of a road.

At least some people get enjoyment out of getting that many in a day (sounds a lot like work to me.)

I personally prefer to get a couple of good ones per month. There are a LOT of caches in my area that I have no interest in going to find. What's the point of driving down a non-descript dirt road just to find a little micro stuffed along a fenceline? Or to look around a light pole in the WalMart parking lot for 10 minutes? To get numbers... that's the only reason. (I must admit that I was guilty of this last month so that I could add another state to my map :huh: )

To some people, that's what geocaching is about... that tangible number that they can look at and be proud of... and they enjoy it, so what's wrong with that?

I personally don't think of caching like that, but who am I to say that they're "doing it wrong"? (especially considering that I'm pretty new at this :D )

Sure, there's probably a few people out there who "cheat." But so what? It doesn't, in any way, affect my experience when hiking past a waterfall to get a great cache, or finding a beautiful park that I didn't even know existed.

I think that the only people who might be bothered by these "cheaters" are the ones who work so hard to get that great big number after their name.

If different types of people can enjoy the sport in different ways, then that's a great thing... that means more people in our community! :D

For some it's a numbers game. For me? I prefer the long hikes in the woods, or challenging caches. Hubby and I were FTF on this cache recently (actually, still the only finders). It took four outings over 2 separate weekends to complete this multi puzzle cache. I think there were 10 stages in all, each with a puzzle, half with some rather difficult terrain. In the end, we got 1 smiley. It was the most darn fun smiley I've earned to date! Wouldn't trade it for 100 urban micro smileys!

There was a series in the Chicago area called 99 BOB (for bottles of beer). It was very clever, and was done with magnetic plates stuck to the back of road signs. I believe there were some who did the entire series of 99 in one day. Once you got the first one, it was obvious what you were looking for. Sadly, I figured it out after it was too late and the series was discontinued.

It is clearly possibly even with the distance to rack up the numbers. I think my best is 26 in one day and that covered about a 20 mile radius. However, a few weeks back I was traveling about 140 miles along 3 interstates. Using Google Earth and running a pocket query on the route with only a half mile distance from that route over 150 caches came up. When I looked at them on the map most were in an area, if I had the time, I probably could have grabbed over half of them. You would be surprised with all the caches in shopping centers, dead end roads etc. that are just a short trip off of an off ramp if you have the time.

Finding a number of caches in any one given day is not unheard of, my past month of caching once or twice a week turned out to be pretty good:

9-17 32 finds

9-18 25 finds

9-24 45 finds

10-1 10 finds

10-2 14 finds

10-8 30 finds

10-15 20 finds

10-16 12 finds

These numbers are by no means extrordinary or unheard of for my neck of the woods, but pretty good none the less.

It all depends on how cache-rich the area is and how well you plan your trips. Most of those days were done on desert runs to a great state park in California; encompassing much off-roading and days of 15 hours or more. Each trip would be on average about 250 miles round-trip. Very few of them were less than desirable locations and all of them encapsulated in the days adventure made each and every cache find fun.

So I guess labeling someone a liar or cheater, just based on where when they found caches on a particular day may be a bit harsh. And even so, what does it really matter as long on the day you choose to go caching you found something new, you met someone new or just plain and simple you enjoyed just one more day of life!

As far as team caching goes, I mean if that is the way they choose to cache and log and the owners of the caches have no problems with it then...

At least some people get enjoyment out of getting that many in a day (sounds a lot like work to me.)

I personally prefer to get a couple of good ones per month. There are a LOT of caches in my area that I have no interest in going to find. What's the point of driving down a non-descript dirt road just to find a little micro stuffed along a fenceline? Or to look around a light pole in the WalMart parking lot for 10 minutes? To get numbers... that's the only reason. (I must admit that I was guilty of this last month so that I could add another state to my map :D )...

If different types of people can enjoy the sport in different ways, then that's a great thing... that means more people in our community! :D

Exactly! As I have said many times before, I personally could not imagine seeking, at most, more than a few caches in one day at a maximum, and in general, I seek only a couple of high-quality caches per month, or even less often. And, much as some other posters have noted, ALL of my favorite cache finds have been those high D/T rating caches where I spent many hours or days working on logging a find for that one cache.

Because they feel like it. Quality over quantity is my preference, and I haven't logged any here in years (though have found and signed many log books since) anyways. It's not a competition, it's about getting outdoors and exploring new places, if you start looking at it that way, none of the hyperinflation will matter anyways.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that with the distances involved and the area this person is talking about that it would be very exceedingly difficult to make 35 caches in 1 day. That was the impression I got from the original post.

I have no doubt that a lot of people do find 30, 40, 50 or even 100+ caches in one day. But maybe, in this instance, we need some people who have cached this particular area to comment on the plausibility of it.

I have not cached this area so I cannot comment or pass judgement in this instance.

To give the benefit of the doubt in even this situation, if you've been a few days on a trip and away from a computer it is really easy to accidentally log caches on the same day. I know I probably lumped a few days together recently on a long car trip, but I never thought someone would care enough about it and if I found it on the 14th or 15th means nothing to me personally.

I guess the bigger question here is why people are so concerned about the way others play the game. If the person gets some kind of twisted satisfaction by logging finds that they did not make, how does that affect the next person? It seems like there are so many options when it comes to directing your energy. Worrying about what others do is not fun. It makes you a sourpuss.

Just because you cannot do it, doesn't mean some else cannot find a certain number of caches. :D

Depending upon the number claimed, it most certainly DOES mean that 'they' could not have done it. I of course do not know what that exact number is any more than anyone else, but I do know what is in the realm of believability. And over the years, I have seen some numbers posted in here that quite frankly defy the laws of physics.

Edited by Team Cotati

Just because you cannot do it, doesn't mean some else cannot find a certain number of caches. :D

Depending upon the number claimed, it most certainly DOES mean that 'they' could not have done it. I of course do not know what that exact number is any more than anyone else, but I do know what is in the realm of believability. And over the years, I have seen some numbers posted in here that quite frankly defy the laws of physics.

We followed up on such a sanity-check hunch, and found that a particular cacher was padding his finds. He'd log, say, 20 caches in one day, a mixture of easy park-n-grabs and tough hikes spanning a wide area. Checking the logs behind him, we found that only the PNGs contained his signature. Once enough proof mounted up, cache owners deleted his bogus logs. I'm sure that quite a few remain, but he's left town (not due to this scandal as far as I know), and we're glad to be rid of him.

-shrug-

If you do not like nor respect the way a particular cacher counts "finds," then do not compare yourself to them.

There are those with a great reputation for how they conduct themselves, and there are those who do not have such a great reputation. Everyone knows those that fall in either category - and eventually those with not-so-great are ignored.

It will work itself out if indeed the person you describe was logging online illegitmately.

Hakuna metata.