DANGEROUS OBJECTS!

I am VERY DISAPOINTED in someone who visited this cache--GCXNRV in Atlantic City, Wyoming! I found the cache okay, but some idiot put a broadhead point inside! (this is a VERY SHARP modern, metal arrowhead used for hunting big game! In case that person hadn't noticed, this is a FAMILY activity! If my grandaughter had stuck her hand in there first, she would have probably required stitches! I didn't see the thing in there either, and almost cut myself! Would you leave bleach or Drano in a toddler's cup? Same thing! Geeze! I don't know who put it there (I found it in the paper log, but not online log) and am going to email the body of this message to the cachers who visited this location, so they know. This was totally irresponsible!

I would be careful how you word the msg to other cachers as you're not sure who placed it there. While it's understandable that you are upset, you don't want to find yourself in trouble for being abusive to other cachers. It would probably serve your purpose better to point the issue out in your log, nicely of course. Or, just remove the item from the cache altogether as those type items are not allowed, and replace it with some nice swag.

I should also add that it's the very reason that none of my kids are allowed to stick their hands in a cache. We ALWAYS carefully empty a cache's contents prior to the children looking through. There are lots of other very inappropriate items placed in caches, and not just things that you can be hurt on. It's an unfortunate consequence of the game, but there are ways to protect your kids. And I would suggest carefully dumping the contents out in to a safe area so that you don't hurt yourself either.

Edited by elmuyloco5

Are you sure it was a geocacher that placed the object in the cache, and not a hunter or somebody else who just stumbled upon the cache by accident?

I am curious as to how often this happens, I've seen it once. One cache I found, a hunter had logged the find in the logbook, but thankfully he left only a musket ball, a fairly harmless object.

We found a Puzzle cache container once that had been found accidentally. They "traded" out the good swag for worthless items from their wallets or pockets . . . :blink:

I have found other containers that had been found by muggles. One person put a funny note in the logbook. The other group destroyed the cache container and wrote obscenities in the logbook . . . :blink:

It happens . . . unfortunately . . . which is why caches should be hidden, and re-hidden, well.

Are you sure it was a geocacher that placed the object in the cache, and not a hunter or somebody else who just stumbled upon the cache by accident?

I am curious as to how often this happens, I've seen it once. One cache I found, a hunter had logged the find in the logbook, but thankfully he left only a musket ball, a fairly harmless object.

I don't how often it happens, but I have seen a number of logs signed by non-geocachers who obviously stumbled upon the cache by accident. In some cases people just sign they log in a friendly way, and sometimes they talk about what they took or left. In a couple of cases I've seen caches destroyed by people who have signed the log book with some pretty ugly stuff.

I am VERY DISAPOINTED in someone who visited this cache--GCXNRV in Atlantic City, Wyoming! I found the cache okay, but some idiot put a broadhead point inside! (this is a VERY SHARP modern, metal arrowhead used for hunting big game! In case that person hadn't noticed, this is a FAMILY activity! If my grandaughter had stuck her hand in there first, she would have probably required stitches! I didn't see the thing in there either, and almost cut myself! Would you leave bleach or Drano in a toddler's cup? Same thing! Geeze! I don't know who put it there (I found it in the paper log, but not online log) and am going to email the body of this message to the cachers who visited this location, so they know. This was totally irresponsible!

I understand your being upset, but you really need to calm down. Sharps aren't allowed in caches; we get it. As for me, I grow quite weary of this over-zealous rage over every little thing that someone decides isn't "family friendly."

Clearly, you need some perspective. Putting Drain-O in a sippy cup amounts to attempted murder or child abuse. Putting a broadhead in a geocache is irresponsible at worst, and more likely an innocent indiscretion. Not the same thing. If you want a hobby that is 100% safe, collect stamps. Otherwise just take the arrowhead out of the cache POLITELY.

I don't how often it happens, but I have seen a number of logs signed by non-geocachers who obviously stumbled upon the cache by accident. In some cases people just sign they log in a friendly way, and sometimes they talk about what they took or left. In a couple of cases I've seen caches destroyed by people who have signed the log book with some pretty ugly stuff.

For caches in the woods, I'd guess that I've come across logs by hunters about a dozen times. Usually they leave a friendly note. Sometimes they leave a shotgun shell or rifle cartridge. To the hunter, it is something of value (to them) which they have available to leave in the cache. I simply remove the dangerous item and don't let it bother me. Rather, I am happy that a stranger respected the cache and chose not to trash it. I've seen enough of that, too. I've also seen live ammunition left as a trade item by a geocacher, and noted in their paper and online logs. That bothers me a bit more. The most extreme example was a live rifle cartridge left in a cache hidden at a boy scout camp along a trail where a group of 11-13 year olds would likely be walking without adult supervision. Duh!

My husband and I were giggling about an idea for a cache container last night but wanted to ask if it was even "allowed". I work in a clinic and occasionally come across empty personal "sharps" containers. If it were watertight, would it even be appropriate to hide as is? Would anyone actually unscrew the top to see if it was the cache in question?

:mad: Soooo imagine if you took your child to an airport after this caching expedition and they decided that sticking their hands into a sharps container there is a good idea cause they saw you do it once already, okay with that? <_< No, I don't think that is cute or creative. This weekend we went to a cache which looked like and electrical box, had a Nomex (?spelling) wire coming out the bottom and INTO the ground, nailed to an electrical pole. STUPID. I was afraid to touch it, eventually my husband got it, but if you have kids along - how do you tell them that one piece of electrical equipment is okay to be messing with and another is not. We also came across a TB with a very sharp hunting knife attached that's goal was to go to hunting ground areas, my kid cut herself on it not knowing what it was (it was circular in shape and did not look like a knife until opened - too late). So YES there are bad and unsafe ideas out there and much better and creative ways to hide stuff than things we are trying to teach our kids are dangerous.

:mad: Soooo imagine if you took your child to an airport after this caching expedition and they decided that sticking their hands into a sharps container there is a good idea cause they saw you do it once already, okay with that? <_< No, I don't think that is cute or creative. This weekend we went to a cache which looked like and electrical box, had a Nomex (?spelling) wire coming out the bottom and INTO the ground, nailed to an electrical pole. STUPID. I was afraid to touch it, eventually my husband got it, but if you have kids along - how do you tell them that one piece of electrical equipment is okay to be messing with and another is not. We also came across a TB with a very sharp hunting knife attached that's goal was to go to hunting ground areas, my kid cut herself on it not knowing what it was (it was circular in shape and did not look like a knife until opened - too late). So YES there are bad and unsafe ideas out there and much better and creative ways to hide stuff than things we are trying to teach our kids are dangerous.

Isn't it great that most of those who choose to have children decide that everyone else must assume responsibility for those offspring as well? :mad: *NEWSFLASH: That code/obligation died when we ceased to be tribal in nature. At that level, others felt responsibility for your kin so as to ensure the survival of the tribe.(Since in most scenario's they were at remotely related anyway).

To the point: Teach your own freakin' kids. Don't expect everyone to care for them. And stop calling ingenious (sp?) ideas "STUPID" because you are trying to make a point (one of the rules of debate, BTW).

....Isn't it great that most of those who choose to have children decide that everyone else must assume responsibility for those offspring as well? :mad: *NEWSFLASH: That code/obligation died when we ceased to be tribal in nature. At that level, others felt responsibility for your kin so as to ensure the survival of the tribe.(Since in most scenario's they were at remotely related anyway)....

We never did ceace to be tribal. We merely lost our tribal roots when nations came along and kicked the butts of everone who was tribal. We however still establish tribes in different ways. While we are not legally obligated to keep our brothers we are still our brothers keeper. I don't assume responsiblity for other peoples children, but I will help one out in a pickle if I happen along.

Odds are you are tribal in your own way, and that you would help out if a kid in need came along. Sometimes that help should be swift kick in the butt, and I miss that part from the days of real Tribes and Clans...

:mad: Soooo imagine if you took your child to an airport after this caching expedition and they decided that sticking their hands into a sharps container there is a good idea cause they saw you do it once already, okay with that? :mad: No, I don't think that is cute or creative. This weekend we went to a cache which looked like and electrical box, had a Nomex (?spelling) wire coming out the bottom and INTO the ground, nailed to an electrical pole. STUPID. I was afraid to touch it, eventually my husband got it, but if you have kids along - how do you tell them that one piece of electrical equipment is okay to be messing with and another is not. We also came across a TB with a very sharp hunting knife attached that's goal was to go to hunting ground areas, my kid cut herself on it not knowing what it was (it was circular in shape and did not look like a knife until opened - too late). So YES there are bad and unsafe ideas out there and much better and creative ways to hide stuff than things we are trying to teach our kids are dangerous.

Isn't it great that most of those who choose to have children decide that everyone else must assume responsibility for those offspring as well? :huh: *NEWSFLASH: That code/obligation died when we ceased to be tribal in nature. At that level, others felt responsibility for your kin so as to ensure the survival of the tribe.(Since in most scenario's they were at remotely related anyway).

To the point: Teach your own freakin' kids. Don't expect everyone to care for them. And stop calling ingenious (sp?) ideas "STUPID" because you are trying to make a point (one of the rules of debate, BTW).

<_< Oh Puuulse! I am not asking anyone to assume responsibility for my kids. What I was suggesting is that there are alot of other creative ways to make caches fun for ALL to enjoy without having to question if you are going to get a shock or stick your hand in a contaminated needle holder. And I still stand by my original post, you make it look like an actual electrical appliance, stuck to a high tension electrical line with a cord going into the ground so it looks real - yep, that is STUPID, it is just asking for somebody to stick their fingers in the wrong place next time - whether it is an adult or a child. I have seen plenty of creative caches where the wire is cut, say 2 inches from the ground or there is a geocaching symbol on the thing somewhere so you know it is ok.

Scorpio raises a good point. If your kid has no concept of context (i.e., putting your hand in a container in the woods is not the same thing as putting your hand in a similar container at the airport), then perhaps geocaching isn't the sport for them. When Junior finds his first Nalgene-bottle geocache, I'm sure the very next thing he's going to do is plunge his grubby little fist into Daddy's water bottle looking for swag and the logbook. Likewise, I'm sure when you put his sandwich for lunch in a Lock&Lock, he's going to write "TNLNSL. TFTC!" on the top piece of bread, then re-hide it in his cubby so his muggle-teacher won't accidentally find it.

But besides that, all the sharps containers I've ever seen are bright red. In fact, the ones for hypodermic needles have big neon orange "BIOHAZARD" stickers on them. Wouldn't that mean that the hider would -- and I'm just guessing here -- spray paint the thing, rendering the whole point moot?

:mad:

Scorpio raises a good point. If your kid has no concept of context (i.e., putting your hand in a container in the woods is not the same thing as putting your hand in a similar container at the airport), then perhaps geocaching isn't the sport for them. When Junior finds his first Nalgene-bottle geocache, I'm sure the very next thing he's going to do is plunge his grubby little fist into Daddy's water bottle looking for swag and the logbook. Likewise, I'm sure when you put his sandwich for lunch in a Lock&Lock, he's going to write "TNLNSL. TFTC!" on the top piece of bread, then re-hide it in his cubby so his muggle-teacher won't accidentally find it.

But besides that, all the sharps containers I've ever seen are bright red. In fact, the ones for hypodermic needles have big neon orange "BIOHAZARD" stickers on them. Wouldn't that mean that the hider would -- and I'm just guessing here -- spray paint the thing, rendering the whole point moot?

Have you ever raised a curious 3 year old? Just asking?

Whether any of us raised a three year old does not change the point that a sharps container is merely a container to hold sharp items. If you paint it, it simply becomes a container of similar shape and size to one that would hold sharp items.

I hope no one notices that many of our best containers used to carry bullets.

Edited by sbell111

My husband and I were giggling about an idea for a cache container last night but wanted to ask if it was even "allowed". I work in a clinic and occasionally come across empty personal "sharps" containers. If it were watertight, would it even be appropriate to hide as is? Would anyone actually unscrew the top to see if it was the cache in question?

<_< Soooo imagine if you took your child to an airport after this caching expedition and they decided that sticking their hands into a sharps container there is a good idea cause they saw you do it once already, okay with that? :mad: No, I don't think that is cute or creative. This weekend we went to a cache which looked like and electrical box, had a Nomex (?spelling) wire coming out the bottom and INTO the ground, nailed to an electrical pole. STUPID. I was afraid to touch it, eventually my husband got it, but if you have kids along - how do you tell them that one piece of electrical equipment is okay to be messing with and another is not. We also came across a TB with a very sharp hunting knife attached that's goal was to go to hunting ground areas, my kid cut herself on it not knowing what it was (it was circular in shape and did not look like a knife until opened - too late). So YES there are bad and unsafe ideas out there and much better and creative ways to hide stuff than things we are trying to teach our kids are dangerous.

If I was sure the electrical box was the cache -- you obviously were since you decided it was safe to open -- I would either explain why I thought so and that these things are usually dangerous, or I would just not log the cache. I've managed to get one kid past the age of three despite this radical thinking. I'll let you know when the other turns four.

That said, the unaltered sharps idea doesn't appeal to me. If it was in a location where you normally wouldn't find such a thing, the joke is pretty much lost; if it's in a location where you would find them, then someone might use it and you'd get some unwanted swag in there.

Not that it is terribly germane to the discussion, but no, I haven't. I was, however, a 3-year-old once myself. You know who was responsible for making sure I didn't do stupid things? My parents. Not everyone else in the world besides my parents.

I completely agree, parents are responsible for kids, that is a no brainer. What I am saying is that kids follow by example and see you do certain things and follow your example, that IS why you are the parent. My concern not only lies for kids, but also adults. When I did find this cache, I was lucky to have a person with me experienced in electrical stuff. A few kids out on a geocaching run may not be and could potentially put their hand where it should not be. I will give a very good example of this. We found another cache in this very same area. The hide was an electrical box cover with magnets on it UNDER the rim of the electrical box. There was a REAL electrical box where the cover plate was broken and I did open it. It was a small substation and I am sure had a bit of electricity running through it. I discretely put the cover back on as best as I could, but I think you can agree that could have been a dangerous situation. I was by myself and I don't know squat about electronics either :mad:

Look the only concern is that we all stay safe doing this. I am sure there are plenty of ways to hide things creatively, otherwise we would not have guidelines and people could throw whatever they wanted into the caches, needles, booze, dope, where do you draw the line? Working in EMS, I guess I just see too much stuff where kids have gotten hurt because their parents turn their backs for a second and boom, it happens quicker than you think and parents of course don't want their kids hurt. So, I guess we agree to disagree about what is safe and what isn't.

....Not that it is terribly germane to the discussion, but no, I haven't. I was, however, a 3-year-old once myself. You know who was responsible for making sure I didn't do stupid things? My parents. Not everyone else in the world besides my parents.

Truthfully, while parents retain responsiblity, the kids just do things and everyone around them helps out. If your friends visit and their baby crawls around your floor, are you just going to yell for the parents when the kid finds your kitty litter box and starts to sample? or are you going to do the right thing and fix the problem?

A broadhead in a cache should have a cover. That's ignoring that a cacher shouldn't have left one.

:D Oh Puuulse! I am not asking anyone to assume responsibility for my kids. What I was suggesting is that there are alot of other creative ways to make caches fun for ALL to enjoy without having to question if you are going to get a shock or stick your hand in a contaminated needle holder. And I still stand by my original post, you make it look like an actual electrical appliance, stuck to a high tension electrical line with a cord going into the ground so it looks real - yep, that is STUPID, it is just asking for somebody to stick their fingers in the wrong place next time - whether it is an adult or a child. I have seen plenty of creative caches where the wire is cut, say 2 inches from the ground or there is a geocaching symbol on the thing somewhere so you know it is ok.

My issue with your suggestion is that this is a hobby where adults (many not being parents . . . . yet :D ) play and don't want to be hindered by the POV of a child at all times. Maybe it would be cool if the hider would note if it is an appropriate cache for a younguns' or not?

(Smarty-Pants note: Electrical appliances are things from baking mixers to vacuums to circular saws, not conduits or meter junction boxes. :huh:)

Nice suggestions I admit hadn't considered about how to fix up the cache a bit better though.

I hope no one notices that many of our best containers used to carry bullets.

:o

That said, the unaltered sharps idea doesn't appeal to me. If it was in a location where you normally wouldn't find such a thing, the joke is pretty much lost; if it's in a location where you would find them, then someone might use it and you'd get some unwanted swag in there.

Agreed on that point.

I completely agree, parents are responsible for kids, that is a no brainer. What I am saying is that kids follow by example and see you do certain things and follow your example, that IS why you are the parent. My concern not only lies for kids, but also adults. When I did find this cache, I was lucky to have a person with me experienced in electrical stuff. A few kids out on a geocaching run may not be and could potentially put their hand where it should not be.

Okay so please excuse those of us that don't have them then. Now, I behave a bit differently when around my nephews. And I do not let them drive my SeaDoo or ATV, just as I would not let their hands do the walking in geocaching. I know their curiosity will lead them to do things in the milli-second our backs are turned . . . . so back to the original suggestion from me; let's bug geocaching.com to get a family/kid friendly question on the set-up or go make a site like handicaching.com but for kids and let that be it . . . .

I will give a very good example of this. We found another cache in this very same area. The hide was an electrical box cover with magnets on it UNDER the rim of the electrical box. There was a REAL electrical box where the cover plate was broken and I did open it. It was a small substation and I am sure had a bit of electricity running through it. I discretely put the cover back on as best as I could, but I think you can agree that could have been a dangerous situation. I was by myself and I don't know squat about electronics either :huh:

-And sure some caches can be stupid . . . . but now you've peaked my interest; what are you calling "high-tension" electrical line? I thought it was nailed to a pole (and was it wood?). Was this on a cacher's private property? (not asking all this to question your facts, just curious now.)

I talked to a Power Systems Engineer today (layman's terms: a power line design guy). He noted first off that most likely no utility (such as his) will allow someone to put ANYTHING on their poles --- so this may break the rules in any case and will likely be knocked off by the Utility next time they chance by the area . . . The ONE exception is if it is in a rural location and the meter box (where the Utility-employed readers find the customer usage readings) is on the edge of a property and on one of the wooden distribution poles (aka erroneously as 'telephone' poles). Then the property owner may attach other things to the pole on the other side of the meter box such as junction boxes that redirect power to a barn, a house, a chicken coop, etc. :huh: Yeah, -I know -boring . . . . Finally to the point: They can do this on private property only and if it is something after the meter box, it really should only give you a small shock. (but I will note that you can die from even 1 volt on the VERY slim chance it hits you in just the right place at just the right time . . .)

And if there is a cache in or on or even near a sub-station, report it to the NESC. NOW!!!! That is a federal issue. (Of course you may want to be friendly and point that out the the hider first . . . .)

Look the only concern is that we all stay safe doing this. I am sure there are plenty of ways to hide things creatively, otherwise we would not have guidelines and people could throw whatever they wanted into the caches, needles, booze, dope, where do you draw the line? Working in EMS, I guess I just see too much stuff where kids have gotten hurt because their parents turn their backs for a second and boom, it happens quicker than you think and parents of course don't want their kids hurt. So, I guess we agree to disagree about what is safe and what isn't.

I will agree about most things and their overall safety, but not about the responsibility of others to consider kids specifically in rugged hobby (yeah, yeah I know you upped it to adults too back there.) I know that makes me sound a bit harsh - - - but there we be . . . . . .

And RK-- give me a freaking break with that cat litter feast :o . . . . Not even close to the same as a hobby outdoors :D. . . . In your situation I invite the kids and parents in . . . (yeah you can argue that hiding a cache is inviting them) Dang, back to that suggestion again . . . maybe . . . call it kidcaching.com? -Or would that be caching for hidden kids? OOOps!!

Edited by scorpio_dark

:D Ok, here I go. Sorry I don't know my electrical appliances from electrical boxes, etc... whatever, I told you I was not familiar with that stuff - which reinforces my point exactly. When I referred to a power line, it was a WOODEN pole about approximately 2 feet around with two DANGER signs on it, one each side. I assume it was a power line - I have NO Idea if it was a phone line, but that is really not the point is it? The point is - I did not know. I have a hunch that if and when the power company, phone company, cable company, whomever goes out there to do maintenance on this pole sees it, this cache will be gone. GCRQEZ. Everybody liked the hide so far, it has been there since 2005. Protect kids, yep. You DO need to do that, it is part of being a good person IMO, whether you bred them yourself or not. :D I guess I am done now, going to go read a book on basic electronics and cook my dinner in my electrical appliance :huh:

Edit to add: I guess most here don't have a problem with it, so I know when to shut up and keep my opinions to myself as the above picture shows. :huh: Later...

Edited by lonesumdove
This weekend we went to a cache which looked like and electrical box, had a Nomex (?spelling) wire coming out the bottom and INTO the ground, nailed to an electrical pole.

I recently saw this creative electrical box cache.

CIMG1018.JPG

Awesome! :D

Thats a good example of a safe clever hide, although a more narrow ammo box would have worked better.

A cache which I thought was unsafe was a travel bug hotel hidden behind the access panel of an active 220 volt lampost (among the wiring inside). It wasnt the type of lampost to have a "skirt"; the access panel was aout 8"X10" and missing all 4 screws. Most of the finders thought it was a good hide, although one person with a lot of finds had posted a SBA.

It has been relocated since then.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I understand where you are coming from in that you want to protect your children. I have three myself (9,7,and 6). I don't agree though that everything has to be kept in mind that children participate in this. There are many caches out there that just are not child friendly (some of the psycho caches, as an example). But, I think that there is definitely a place for those caches. Just like there is a place for micros and a place for puzzles, etc. Not every cache is appropriate or interesting for every person.

I think it's the parents responsibility to protect their kids and to decide on a case by case basis as to what their children should participate in. There have been several caches that we just drive on by because they make us uncomfortable or are in an area that we don't want our kids. When that happens, we just explain why we don't want to go to that one, and continue on. There have been some that one of us stays back at the car while the other gets the cache and brings it back because the area isn't safe for our children. And while kids can enjoy the hunt, let's face it, most kids are in it for the treasure. Like I said above, we ALWAYS carefully dump the contents on a safe surface and go through it before our kids. And we've told them flat out that it's because there could be something in the cache that might hurt them. And prior to ever starting to cache, we explained to them that they won't always find something in each cache, and when they do, not everyone of them will get something either. We make sure that whoever didn't get something gets to pick out of the next cache with good swag. It's really not that hard to work around.

Do you waste some time driving to caches that might not work out, sure? But that's a small irritant and what I consider our problem, not the cache owner's. And really I think that geocaching isn't very far off from most things in life. I know we've given up alot since we became parents. But it was something we were willing to do. And where we're not, we find ways to make things work for our family. I think there is enough space, enough caches, and enough fun for everyone to have out there. I wouldn't want to have a bunch of rules placed on us so that some other group had things the way they wanted them, so I wouldn't ask anyone else to do that for us. It's nice when the owner mentions whether or not it's child friendly, but either way, we like to judge for ourselves.

I'm a good geocacher and confiscate ALL knives I find in geocaches! I think I'm up to four now, including a nice 3" lockback and a little switchblade. Problem is, my son thinks HE needs to confiscate them from me! :D

Fortuneately, I've not run across anything dangerously exposed in caches. In addition to the mentioned knives, I HAVE removed fireworks, lighters, food and similar inappropriate cache material. It happens. I try to leave the cache better than I found it and move on.

JohnTee

:ph34r: Ok, here I go. Sorry I don't know my electrical appliances from electrical boxes, etc... whatever, I told you I was not familiar with that stuff - which reinforces my point exactly. When I referred to a power line, it was a WOODEN pole about approximately 2 feet around with two DANGER signs on it, one each side. I assume it was a power line - I have NO Idea if it was a phone line, but that is really not the point is it? The point is - I did not know. I have a hunch that if and when the power company, phone company, cable company, whomever goes out there to do maintenance on this pole sees it, this cache will be gone. GCRQEZ. Everybody liked the hide so far, it has been there since 2005. Protect kids, yep. You DO need to do that, it is part of being a good person IMO, whether you bred them yourself or not. ;) I guess I am done now, going to go read a book on basic electronics and cook my dinner in my electrical appliance ;)

Edit to add: I guess most here don't have a problem with it, so I know when to shut up and keep my opinions to myself as the above picture shows. :huh: Later...

I survey 230kV & 500kV power lines, and deal with a lot of different power utilities. While most here have no problem with a cache such as that, there's no way I'd touch it with a 20 foot pole. Aside from most probably being illegal, it sets a bad precedence for people to put caches on live poles who don't really know the difference.

I know, I'm being a fuddy-duddy.....but (IMHO) it's trouble waiting to happen.

;) Ok, here I go. Sorry I don't know my electrical appliances from electrical boxes, etc... whatever, I told you I was not familiar with that stuff - which reinforces my point exactly. When I referred to a power line, it was a WOODEN pole about approximately 2 feet around with two DANGER signs on it, one each side. I assume it was a power line - I have NO Idea if it was a phone line, but that is really not the point is it? The point is - I did not know. I have a hunch that if and when the power company, phone company, cable company, whomever goes out there to do maintenance on this pole sees it, this cache will be gone. GCRQEZ. Everybody liked the hide so far, it has been there since 2005. Protect kids, yep. You DO need to do that, it is part of being a good person IMO, whether you bred them yourself or not. :unsure: I guess I am done now, going to go read a book on basic electronics and cook my dinner in my electrical appliance :ph34r:

I survey 230kV & 500kV power lines, and deal with a lot of different power utilities. While most here have no problem with a cache such as that, there's no way I'd touch it with a 20 foot pole. Aside from most probably being illegal, it sets a bad precedence for people to put caches on live poles who don't really know the difference.

I know, I'm being a fuddy-duddy.....but (IMHO) it's trouble waiting to happen.

Many people who replied to this also forget that it is against geocaching.com guidelines to even put a hide up like that. Using screws and staples to anchor it to a utility pole is strictly a no no! ;)

Edited by lonesumdove

Many people who replied to this also forget that it is against geocaching.com guidelines to even put a hide up like that. Using screws and staples to anchor it to a utility pole is strictly a no no! ;)

What screws or staples? It looks like the ammo can is just sitting on the open box.

What screws or staples? It looks like the ammo can is just sitting on the open box.

Ummm . . . . Please cite the specific guideline and also code against nails and staples you are referencing there. .

And crawil . . .that pic is not the cache in discussion . . . .

:ph34r::huh:;)

Edited by scorpio_dark

Ummm . . . . Please cite the specific guideline and also code against nails and staples you are referencing there. .

And crawil . . .that pic is not the cache in discussion . . . .

:ph34r::huh:;)

Right in the guidelines for cache placement -

"Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method. "

"Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate. "

As I stated before, the cache I visted had the "electrical line" buried in the ground underneath the box.

The guidelines are here if you care to review them:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Yes the cache with the ammo box is not the one I am referencing

Right in the guidelines for cache placement -

"Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method. "

"Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate. "

As I stated before, the cache I visted had the "electrical line" buried in the ground underneath the box.

The guidelines are here if you care to review them:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Yes the cache with the ammo box is not the one I am referencing

You're stretching on both counts . . . Can maybe make an argument on the digging rule. Although that deals mostly with hiding the actually integral part of the cache and having to dig to make the find. And obviously the reviewer didn't interpret it the way you're trying to . . .

C'mon :huh: I know where the guidlines are -- was only asking for the specifics you were trying to use ;) . . .

Many people who replied to this also forget that it is against geocaching.com guidelines to even put a hide up like that. Using screws and staples to anchor it to a utility pole is strictly a no no! :huh:

The guiding principal is to avoid vandalism. You can spray paint coordinates onto the side of the building if the owner is so inclined to allow it. Actually I've been wanting to hide some coords in an art mural for some time...

Actually not. The guidelines are quite clear. The reviewer I am sure does not know that this cache is attached to a utility pole with screws and staples - I don't think the cache hider probably put that on his cache submission form, otherwise it would not have been approved.

"If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate. "

Key words here, TO HIDE, the hider used something to bury the electrical wire into the ground, it did not just stick itself there on its own and the screws and staples he used to attach it to the pole can be construed in my opinion as defacing of nonpublic property. You may differ on your opinion of that, I am sure you will. You will see some inappropriate hides along your routes and travels in this game, after you have found more than 17 caches, you will know what I mean.

Edited by lonesumdove

The guiding principal is to avoid vandalism. You can spray paint coordinates onto the side of the building if the owner is so inclined to allow it. Actually I've been wanting to hide some coords in an art mural for some time...

I guess if you called the power company or phone company who are the owners and asked them if they are ok with someone screwing a box which looks electrical with a wire coming out of the bottom and sunk into the ground as ok on their pole marked DANGER, they would probably be more than happy to grant permission? I doubt it.

I like the mural idea, provided you can get the owners permission. But then, how would you keep someone from spraying over it? :huh:

Actually not. The guidelines are quite clear. The reviewer I am sure does not know that this cache is attached to a utility pole with screws and staples - I don't think the cache hider probably put that on his cache submission form, otherwise it would not have been approved.

"If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate. "

Key words here, TO HIDE, the hider used something to bury the electrical wire into the ground, it did not just stick itself there on its own and the screws and staples he used to attach it to the pole can be construed in my opinion as defacing of public property. You may differ on your opinion of that, I am sure you will. You will see some inappropriate hides along your routes and travels in this game, after you have found more than 17 caches, you will know what I mean.

:P OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Pull out the number of finds card!!!! Was wondering how long it would take you!

It really didn't stick itself to the pole??? And I thought that these things were automated now :huh: . Excuse me! ;)

IMO,IMO,IMO,IMO,IMO . . . . I could give a hoot. Sorry --I was assuming you noted as a needs archived if it is so blatantly against the rules . . .If that was the case then the reviewer would have taken these things into account and made a decision. But you know what they say about assume and I guess I'm guilty in this case. OOOPPPS!

Key words here, TO HIDE, the hider used something to bury the electrical wire into the ground, it did not just stick itself there on its own and the screws and staples he used to attach it to the pole can be construed in my opinion as defacing of public property. You may differ on your opinion of that, I am sure you will. You will see some inappropriate hides along your routes and travels in this game, after you have found more than 17 caches, you will know what I mean.
It seems to me that the 'deface' guideline has been interpreted in various ways over the years. It is quite possible that the cache was perfectly fine at the time it was hidden.

Regarding the 'buried' conduit, I suspect that it wasn't buried, at all. More likely, it was simply pressed into the ground. This would not violate the 'pointy' guideline.

I guess if you called the power company or phone company who are the owners and asked them if they are ok with someone screwing a box which looks electrical with a wire coming out of the bottom and sunk into the ground as ok on their pole marked DANGER, they would probably be more than happy to grant permission? I doubt it.

I'm guessing you'd be right - - - again unless on the other side of a meter as previously noted. All this considering that consumer attached devices, signs, and other such objects are not allowed under the NESC (National Electric Safety Code).

Sorry don't have the website. Most utilities have a copy for anyone who wants to research if they're bored . . . :huh:

EDIT for source Cite

Edited by scorpio_dark
This weekend we went to a cache which looked like and electrical box, had a Nomex (?spelling) wire coming out the bottom and INTO the ground, nailed to an electrical pole.

CIMG1018.JPG

That is just wrong. Let's encourage people to poke around in electrical utilities.

I was thinking of picking up this sport, but I have no interest in it, if I have to search around electrical utilities or other dangerous objects to find a cache.

This is especially bad that this person decided to put warning stickers on the box. Those things should only be used for truly dangeous objects.

This type of cache just rubs me the wrong way. Why are we encouraging people to ignore warning signs and to fiddle around with utilities.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm guessing you'd be right - - - again unless on the other side of a meter as previously noted. All this considering that consumer attached devices, signs, and other such objects are not allowed under the NESC (National Electric Safety Code).

Sorry don't have the website. Most utilities have a copy for anyone who wants to research if they're bored . . . :huh:

EDIT for source Cite

ok, done then - thank you for the interesting discussion and I also can see some of your points on both the safety issues with kids as well as placement. Moving on... ;)

I was thinking of picking up this sport, but I have no interest in it, if I have to search around electrical utilities or other dangerous objects to find a cache.
I think that it's important to note that no one 'has' to search for any cache. If you get to ground zero and you are not comfortable, turn around. This advice is as true for caches planted half way down a sheer cliff as it is in an urban locale.
I think that it's important to note that no one 'has' to search for any cache. If you get to ground zero and you are not comfortable, turn around. This advice is as true for caches planted half way down a sheer cliff as it is in an urban locale.

Of course that is true, but would I end up making the trip only to find out after I had arrived that the cache is laid in a bear trap!?! Or is there a way to know that ahead of time?

In other words, is there a way I can avoid these types before setting out to find them?

How many are like this?

Of course that is true, but would I end up making the trip only to find out after I had arrived that the cache is laid in a bear trap!?! Or is there a way to know that ahead of time?

In other words, is there a way I can avoid these types before setting out to find them?

Some you can spot ahead of time and some you cannot.
How many are like this?
Very few.

CIMG1018.JPG

That is just wrong. Let's encourage people to poke around in electrical utilities.

This is especially bad that this person decided to put warning stickers on the box. Those things should only be used for truly dangeous objects.

This type of cache just rubs me the wrong way. Why are we encouraging people to ignore warning signs and to fiddle around with utilities.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I see no problem with this cache. Any cacher would know immediately exactly what the cache was.

All sports are not made for all people. For instance, I've decided not to take up major league eating. I don't have the stomach for it. :huh: