Geocoin & travel bug noob question

Hi all,

We're off to visit another cache today, so everyone's excited :blink:

One thing I'm really not clear on, even after reading FAQ, forum posts, websites etc. etc. If we were to find a travel bug or geocoin in a cache, what exactly are we supposed to do? Leave them, take them? How would we know what to do? I realise travel bugs are meant to visit lots of places and can be tracked, but when you're at a cache and find one, are there instructions on what action to take? Are geocoins simply collectible or is there another purpose?

Thank you kindly,

Jimbo

The Cluehunter 3

Hi all,

One thing I'm really not clear on, even after reading FAQ, forum posts, websites etc. etc. If we were to find a travel bug or geocoin in a cache, what exactly are we supposed to do? Leave them, take them? How would we know what to do? I realise travel bugs are meant to visit lots of places and can be tracked, but when you're at a cache and find one, are there instructions on what action to take? Are geocoins simply collectible or is there another purpose?

Thank you kindly,

Jimbo

The Cluehunter 3

It depends how you play the game. Some people don't take TB's others always take them and move them on.

If I find a TB I generally take it. Sometimes the TB will have a note of its mission attached but most don't. Take the TB home, using the serial number on the TB log on to the TB area and find your TB's mission then when you're out caching next time try and help the TB's mission. If you can't help it's mission place it in another cache anyway for someone else to help it.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Thank you kindly,

Jimbo

The Cluehunter 3

TBs sometimes have mission tags attached, so you can be sure what their mission is. If they don't, you can simply 'discover' them, and leave them there, or take a chance and take them home to check them out on the website. Unless you are travelling far from home, generally even if you can't help with the mission you can drop them off at a local cache without disturbing the mileage and mission too much.

Geocoins are simply a special case of a TB. The up side is that you usually get an icon on your profile as well. They are not generally intended to be collectible - they have owners and missions like other TBs. Unfortunately they are more attractive than TBs and can go missing

Why not start your own - it is great fun seeing where they go!

Good hunting

Also, TB's and coins are not trades. You can take it and leave nothing, but if you leave one, you can't take anything for it.

It's always interesting to see how far they have gone. Some have gone round and round the world. Others get lost at the first cache. (That's mine! :blink: )

If the worst does happen, and you lose it, tell the owner.

So if you see one, grab it. But keep it moving by dropping it again on you next trip out.

Ahhhhh, the Wonderful World of Geocoins :blink:

You need to understand that there are (at least) two schools of thought on "Geocoins - Their place in geocaching".

The geocoins that you will find in caches (almost*) always belong to another cacher. They are (almost*) always there to travel around, just like TBs, so that other cachers can see them, admire them, log them, get their icon onto their profile and then drop them into another caches so they may continue their mission (if they have one).

However, some Geocachers love geocoins so much that they prefer to collect them, rather than set them free into caches. They may invest a lot of money in these collections and they often take them along to Geocaching Events so that fellow cachers can fondle them (the geocoins), admire them (the geocoins), and log them for the icons.

Some Geocachers do a mixture of the above ideas by keeping a few favourite geocoins (perhaps the more expensive ones, or those with personal value) in their pockets, but release the majority to travel.

*Very, very occasionally you may be lucky enough to find an unactivated (i.e. new and in need of an owner) geocoin in a cache. Sometimes a cache owner will put one into a new cache as a FTF prize, or sometimes a cacher may have a duplicate coin that they decided to put into a cache as a swap item. In the first case you can take it - Well done! - no need to leave anything in its place. In the second case please remember that most geocoins cost £5+ to purchase and so bear that in mind when you do the trade/swap. :blink:

MrsB :D

Before I go off for a days caching I normally check the cache page, partly to check it's not been suspended or co-ords changed etc, but also to see if there are any new bugs in there and if so what their mission is. Once I know that I can decide whether to take it or not. Of course, sometimes one has been placed there during the day or just not logged yet.