ammo can gasket repair

Woletrap

Hi all,

might be a simple answer, but i dunno.

:blink:

I recently acquired a bunch of ammo/medical cans, at a great price online, like this one....

ZAA-077.jpg

when they came I noticed they did not have their gaskets, and therefore did not close tightly.

I would like to make these functional with some sort of a gasket. I know there are gasket materials at auto parts stores and such, but what do I need to buy? It needs to stick to only the inside of the lid, and not the container where it will touch when closed.

i tried some self stick tape, no good. tried some rubber window gasket but couldn't find the right size.

help!

thanks!

:blink:

I would like to make these functional with some sort of a gasket. I know there are gasket materials at auto parts stores and such, but what do I need to buy? It needs to stick to only the inside of the lid, and not the container where it will touch when closed.

Your best bet is probalby o-ring material. You can buy o-ring rubber "cord" in long lengths made to custom cut your own o-rings. So you could probably go to a local industrial supply store, and find what you need. They find out your length, cut it, and glue the ends together. we do this at work in a pinch if we cant find the exact right sized o-ring and it works find. You also probably need to glue the o-ring to the lid every few inches to keep it in the lid.

Your best bet is probalby o-ring material. You can buy o-ring rubber "cord" in long lengths made to custom cut your own o-rings. So you could probably go to a local industrial supply store, and find what you need. They find out your length, cut it, and glue the ends together. we do this at work in a pinch if we cant find the exact right sized o-ring and it works find. You also probably need to glue the o-ring to the lid every few inches to keep it in the lid.

NAPA carries the "bulk o-ring" stuff...the one I work at has 3 sizes in stock...others can order it (if you go into a NAPA and they are confused, tell them, "it's in the PSA book under o-rings"

Hi all,

might be a simple answer, but i dunno.

:yikes:

I recently acquired a bunch of ammo/medical cans, at a great price online, like this one....

ZAA-077.jpg

when they came I noticed they did not have their gaskets, and therefore did not close tightly.

i tried some self stick tape, no good. tried some rubber window gasket but couldn't find the right size.

help!

thanks!

;)

You might try some weather stripping for around doors from your local hardware store. You can buy it in a roll and it's self sticking. The stuff I bought is about a 1/4" wide and 1/8" thick.

Edited by DWBur

I would go to a place that sells tires and ask for a few of their old innertubes that they are going to throw away, no matter if they're full of holes really, just for the material.

Then I would make a template around the outside edge of the lid where you need the seal, out of cardboard. Start cutting out your gaskets with a pair of old scissors until you have what you need for all your boxes. Use rubber cement and follow directions on it's label. I think that should be your cheapest and easiest way to seal your boxes.

Looks like they will make great cache containers!

I too bought one of those to kick around, and the gasket was in poor condition.

I was told it is a French medical kit.

I used black (though color won't matter) RTV and laid a bead right in the groove in the lid.

I then wiped off the excess leaving it flush with the groove lip.

Let it dry (open) a few days, and it worked quite well.

Lotsha Luck!

PP