I've lost a TB

68gypsy

I have lost 2 TB that were placed in my care through caching. I have gone back over the area I believed they went missing with no results. I'm not sure what the proceedure is but what I was thinking about doing is create a proxy TB tag with the TB number on it. Some identifier as to what has occured and why the tag is apperaing in this manner. As closely as possible recreate the original TB and send it back out into the wild. I have spent 2 sleepless nights over this and am in evey way responsible but not sure if this is a "proper" way to handle ths situation. Any responders and suggestions would be appreciated. Please be kind.

68gypsy

When I lost a TB (it was a Volkswagen Beetle Matchbox car) I e-mailed the owner and offered to replace it if he would mail me the copy tag (each TB comes with two tags). He did, I brought a new car attached it to the copy tag and sent it on its way.

Then a few days later I found the original TB and mailed it back to the owner.

Don't lose sleep over it. Just e-mail the owner and explain what happened. If you feel guilty offer to replace the object but you are under no obligation to. These things do get lost sometimes. He may decide to send you the copy tag, or he may just release it himself...or retire the bug.

When I lost a TB (it was a Volkswagen Beetle Matchbox car) I e-mailed the owner and offered to replace it if he would mail me the copy tag (each TB comes with two tags). He did, I brought a new car attached it to the copy tag and sent it on its way.

Then a few days later I found the original TB and mailed it back to the owner.

Don't lose sleep over it. Just e-mail the owner and explain what happened. If you feel guilty offer to replace the object but you are under no obligation to. These things do get lost sometimes. He may decide to send you the copy tag, or he may just release it himself...or retire the bug.

Thank you for your reply. I was waiting to replace the TB before I emailed them but your words ring of caching wisdom.

Thanks.

68gyspy

First, do you own the TB, or does it belong to someone else? When people buy TB's they are given the TB and a copy tag, so the owner could release their own copy.

Did you drop them out of your caching bag?

The first thing to do is to email the owner, explain what happened, and ask them what they would like to do.

TB's have tendency to find nooks and crannies in backpacks that you never knew you had. Many have come back from the deep dark depths of a backpack, believe me. I never give up hope, but it's best to communicate with the owner.