Creating a grid?

twoclones

I need to learn how to create a grid of GPS coordinates inside a given rectangle. For instance, a 600' x 1500' rectangle with a grid of 100' x 100'.

How can I create these coordinates and import them into my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx?

I've been told that AutoCAD can generate the grid coordinates. Has anyone exported coordinates from AutoCAD for import to GPS receiver?

Butch

I need to learn how to create a grid of GPS coordinates inside a given rectangle. For instance, a 600' x 1500' rectangle with a grid of 100' x 100'.

How can I create these coordinates and import them into my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx?

To do it manually I'd work with UTM coordinates, start at the southwest corner of your grid then add 33 metres for each row north and east

To do it manually I'd work with UTM coordinates, start at the southwest corner of your grid then add 33 metres for each row north and east

That's not really a workable option since I have about 1800 locations to waypoint. The Map Source interface leaves much to be desired since I can neither project waypoints nor import from Excel.

I need better software!

Butch

I've done it with a combination of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access. It's a little cumbersome tho'.

For a one time shot, if you let em know what the min/max coordinates are and how far apart in degrees you want your lines, I can provide you with a loc file.

E-mail me through my profile.

That's not really a workable option since I have about 1800 locations to waypoint. The Map Source interface leaves much to be desired since I can neither project waypoints nor import from Excel.

I need better software!

Butch

I only count 46 points that have to be programmed for your 1500x1000 grid, oops you really only need 1500x600, so it's even simpler. And only 25 routes, but you could optimise that a bit and get away with 1 wiggledy-wobbledy route that goes through those 46 points multiple times. There I count a route with 21 points total.

Here it is in a nutshell. Points A1-A15 are at the top of your rectangle, J1-J15 are the bottom. Along the sides you only need B1, B15, C1, C15, ..., H1, H15, I1, and I15.

The route is as follows, A1-J1-J15-A15-A1-B1-B15-C15-C1-D1-D15-E15-E1-F1-F15-G15-G1-H1-H15-I15-I1.

If your GPS can't handle routes that long then split it into multiple routes. But I don't think that's an issue here. It was when I created my maps for the various New England Delorme Challenge caches. see my log for GCYJY1.

P.S. To get around Map Source's limitations, you could program the points on your GPS using UTM as suggested previously, and project most of the other points. And you could even program the route on the GPS. Then download from GPS to computer.

P.P.S. Where do you get the number 1800 locations? Even if you were to program ALL the points in the 15x6 grid you would only have 90 points instead of the 38 that my method reduces to. Do you perhaps mean to say that you wand 10x10 foot grids not 100x100 grids?

edited to say the following:

Oh, and of course I forgot to mention the one other wiggledywobbledy route that would draw the vertical lines. You get the picture but here goes, A1-J1-J15-A15-A1-A2-J2-J3-A3-A4-J4-J5-A5-A6-J6-J7-A7-A8-J8-J9-A9-A10-J10-J11-A11-A12-J12-J13-A13-A14-J14.

Here you could get away with removine the first 5 points since those lines have been drawn already.

Edited by trainlove

P.P.S. Where do you get the number 1800 locations? Even if you were to program ALL the points in the 15x6 grid you would only have 90 points instead of the 38 that my method reduces to. Do you perhaps mean to say that you wand 10x10 foot grids not 100x100 grids?

Well, a mineral claim is 600' x 1500' and soil samples are taken on a 100' grid within a claim. Add 'multiple claims' to that equation and the numbers get larger. The property I was working today consists of nearly 100 claims and it is not the only property. 1800 was probably an understatement.