Good GPS to get started?

jimnbet

Welcome to the Forums! :blink:

The Garmin Legend HCx or Vista HCx will be in that price range, but you will also want to purchase maps. The City Navigator maps, which will enable the unit to auto-route you around unfamiliar areas and provide Points of Interest, are well worth the money.

If you do a lot of hiking, you might also want to get Topo maps.

There is a really good and informative area on here for people just getting started. The best advice I got on a GPS was "buy the best thing you can afford starting out" I would definitely get a new one that has the upgraded satelite reception, the micro expansion card, the cable to hook to the computer, and a directional touchpad. Those are all very critical. In my short time at this I've found those items are nonnegotiable. Whatever you do, get something and get out there! It's too fun not to!

There is a really good and informative area on here for people just getting started. The best advice I got on a GPS was "buy the best thing you can afford starting out" I would definitely get a new one that has the upgraded satelite reception, the micro expansion card, the cable to hook to the computer, and a directional touchpad. Those are all very critical. In my short time at this I've found those items are nonnegotiable. Whatever you do, get something and get out there! It's too fun not to!

I think that is good advice. Many people, myself included, look for the cheapest way out then find themselves looking to upgrade in a few months. If you bought the better unit in the first place you actually would have saved money.

I think that is good advice. Many people, myself included, look for the cheapest way out then find themselves looking to upgrade in a few months. If you bought the better unit in the first place you actually would have saved money.

That is one way to look at it. Then again, I bought a Yellow Etrex for $90 new, cable off Ebay for $11 and have been perfectly happy with that. I have since added a Palm III ex and a laptop for the longer trips.

The way I look at it is go cheap. If you lose it or break it your wallet won't hurt as much. That way also if you get it just for geocaching and after a few months decide it's not for you, you didn't shell out $300 for something that ends up collecting dust.

You can always upgrade later and give your old one to your kids/siblings/parents/significant others who cache with you.