Problem with map

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

I use firefox.

I went to my state page and clicked on map. This is what I got instead of the map:

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'

Include file not found

/map/inc_mappage.asp, line 1

The include file '../includes/global_variables_bridge.asp' was not found.

I got this yesterday too, but just figured someone was working on it and it would be ok later on.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here since it caught me offguard, and maybe it will be mentioned in a geocaching to members email, but I wish I knew ahead of time.

If geocaching.com can shoot an email with this info with directions to use the google earth features (my guess is that is what we will be useing to map caches?) it would be a nicer way to announce your change.

I hate that I found out this way. (It REALLY is that big a deal)

We're no longer supporting the state maps. The link has been removed from the page.

WHY aren't you supporting it? Can you at least give us reasons? If you are going to limit us to the completely useless 15 mile limit, I was hoping the state map could at least help me plan my geocaching adventures.

WHAT A FREAKING WASTE!

The shapefile maps, introduced in 2001 or 2002, were the very first Geocaching.com maps that showed cache locations. They were replaced as the primary mapping tool by the GeoMicro maps, but were kept around (for those who knew where to find them). Now, the GeoMicro maps are being replaced by the Google-based maps, as the GeoMicro mapping software never performed adequately.

I can certainly understand why the website would want to consolidate to a single mapping solution (Google maps) rather than supporting the current method for displaying caches as well as two old legacy methods.

I don't miss the primitive shapefile maps because I quit looking at them once they stopped displaying checkmarks on the caches I'd already found.

Edited by The Leprechauns

We're no longer supporting the state maps. The link has been removed from the page.

Jeremy,

I just found another bug in the code this weekend. When I attempt to print a large area map of 10 miles or less to show all the caches that I want to find for the day only the left half of the displayed map is printed. This just started with the new maps so I know that it is not printer related. I have been doing this for several months since I first started geocaching and it always` workef until the new maps were released.

Doxie Man

rogerrowe@sbcglobal.net

Why? It's now takes an excruciating long time to plan a geocaching trip. I've found myself caching less because instead of caching I'm stuck at this stupid computer waiting and hoping the other map options work. They don't! I click on my state and whola no map only some cities. Click on a city and you get a list of caches but I have to go one by one to see if it's on a route I want to travel. BIG HEADACHE. This "new" way seems like things have gone backwards.

I agree with everyone here. The 15 mile limit is totally useless in rural areas. I loved the old state map that displayed all caches and new caches in a different color. I live in rural Texas and the drop down list for the state is totally useless to me. I am afraid this move has hurt the sport of geocaching and I personally have not been out since the change due to the simple fact that I feel I am wasting time being frustrated on the computer trying to find new caches when I could be out searching in the great outdoors. The result is a gradual loss of interest and I am afraid if something isn't done, a total loss of interest. VERY sad for such a fun and exciting sport.

Why? It's now takes an excruciating long time to plan a geocaching trip. I've found myself caching less because instead of caching I'm stuck at this stupid computer waiting and hoping the other map options work. They don't! I click on my state and whola no map only some cities. Click on a city and you get a list of caches but I have to go one by one to see if it's on a route I want to travel. BIG HEADACHE. This "new" way seems like things have gone backwards.

Have you looked into the caches along a route option. As a premium member it is easy to get a list of caches along a specified route.

I agree with everyone here. The 15 mile limit is totally useless in rural areas. I loved the old state map that displayed all caches and new caches in a different color. I live in rural Texas and the drop down list for the state is totally useless to me. I am afraid this move has hurt the sport of geocaching and I personally have not been out since the change due to the simple fact that I feel I am wasting time being frustrated on the computer trying to find new caches when I could be out searching in the great outdoors. The result is a gradual loss of interest and I am afraid if something isn't done, a total loss of interest. VERY sad for such a fun and exciting sport.

What 15 mile limit? A few weeks ago they changed it to show 500 caches. If the area you cache in is so rural, 500 caches should be a excesivly large area.