DNS or VHost problem

The Hawks

The name geocaching.com resolves to the correct IP, but IIS (?) returns a "Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)" error when using only geocaching.com to access the page. www.geocaching.com workd fine.

Is this intentional or did someone mess up IIS's (or whichever web server software is running) virtual host handling?

-nik

I'm seeing the same thing. (intermittently) It appears that something is misconfigured on the 66.150.167.148 server. When I force my computer to use that IP address (by putting it in the hosts file) for geocaching.com it returns an error. When I force it to use 66.150.167.149 or 66.150.167.150 it gets redirected to www.geocaching.com. I get the same thing when putting those IP addresses in the browser.

http://66.150.167.148/

http://66.150.167.149/

http://66.150.167.150/

Fixed it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yep, workin' again. Thanks Jeremy!

Just curious though...why use redirects instead of allowing geocaching.com and www.geocaching.com to be interchangeable?

Who said there were any redirects? I think - at least in this thread - we were talking VHosts rather than redirects :unsure:

Who said there were any redirects? I think - at least in this thread - we were talking VHosts rather than redirects :unsure:

I'm the one who said there were redirects. It would appear that redirects (or lack thereof on one of the webservers) is what was causing the problem you were seeing. :o

I'm the one who said there were redirects. It would appear that redirects (or lack thereof on one of the webservers) is what was causing the problem you were seeing. :o

So where did the "Bad Request" originate from? I guessed it was the web server not being able to find a valid VHost for the name given in the Host-heaer.

This double posting was created due to the web server killing the PHP script after 45 seconds on my first request

So where did the "Bad Request" originate from? I guessed it was the web server not being able to find a valid VHost for the name given in the Host-heaer.

Edited by The Hawks

I believe because their webservers aren't configured to serve anything up at geocaching.com...that's why requests to geocaching.com get redirected to www.geocaching.com. A Virtual Host problem was a good guess but it looks like that doesn't apply in this case.

I believe because their webservers aren't configured to serve anything up at geocaching.com...that's why requests to geocaching.com get redirected to www.geocaching.com. A Virtual Host problem was a good guess but it looks like that doesn't apply in this case.

I don't want to argue that, as it really doesn't matter, but being a system administrator myself I am interested in whether that would trigger an error saying "Invalid hostname"?

I don't want to argue that, as it really doesn't matter, but being a system administrator myself I am interested in whether that would trigger an error saying "Invalid hostname"?

Good question. Unfortunately I don't have access to a IIS 6.0 machine or I'd try to replicate that. Now that I think about it...they're probably using Host Headers to handle the redirection...in which case we're both right. :unsure:

Edited by Yossarian

Good question. Unfortunately I don't have access to a IIS 6.0 machine or I'd try to replicate that. Now that I think about it...they're probably using Host Headers to handle the redirection...in which case we're both right. :blink:

Hmm ... you never know. Anyway, nothing is impossible when using certain software :blink: