Need vacation planning advice

iambobbrown

I will be out in Vegas for a few of days for work. After those three days, my wife is flying out and we are going to drive to Zion to go hiking. Our time to together will be limited to 3 days.

During the first three days, I will find the caches near the hotel and surrounding area. But what I need help with is, what caches do I find as my wife and I are traveling back and forth to Zion?

I created a pocket query using a public KML file from Vegas to St. George and there are 156 within a half mile of the route. Truthfully, the primary function of the trip is to go hiking, with geocaching as a secondary function.

The question is...... How do I choose which ones of the 156 do I look for? Do I need to determine a strategy (such as cache type, or difficulty) and filter from there, or should I read all 156 and pick and choose? Or should all 156 and keep my GPS powered on, using the "nearest" display and use the surrounding area to pick when we should pull off of the road and start looking for one?

What I am trying to avoid are "micros in a gas station parking lot"

Thanks

Bob

I will be out in Vegas for a few of days for work. After those three days, my wife is flying out and we are going to drive to Zion to go hiking. Our time to together will be limited to 3 days.

During the first three days, I will find the caches near the hotel and surrounding area. But what I need help with is, what caches do I find as my wife and I are traveling back and forth to Zion?

I created a pocket query using a public KML file from Vegas to St. George and there are 156 within a half mile of the route. Truthfully, the primary function of the trip is to go hiking, with geocaching as a secondary function.

The question is...... How do I choose which ones of the 156 do I look for? Do I need to determine a strategy (such as cache type, or difficulty) and filter from there, or should I read all 156 and pick and choose? Or should all 156 and keep my GPS powered on, using the "nearest" display and use the surrounding area to pick when we should pull off of the road and start looking for one?

Thanks

Bob

Filter out micros in your PQ. :unsure:;):o

Thanks

Bob

Let's try that again!

Filter out micros in your PQ.

I think if you filter out micros, multis, etc. that should help. I haven't been to Zion since I started caching so can't recommend any caches, but if time allows you should try to hike up to the top of Angel's Landing. Also if you are up to it you should head up the Narrows even if it's only to go 20 or 30 minutes up river and turn around...you'll never forget it.

I hope you have a great time, I have never been to Zion. I am sure that it is beautiful.

I have planed trips such as yours. I don't use PQ's, so I just search area's and read the cache desriptions. It is time comsuming, but I get to hunt caches that at least intrest me from the get go. Since you have narrowed it down to 156, it should only take an evening of looking at them. Better than watching TV! (unless you like baseball!)

Hope you have a nice trip.

Filter out micros in your PQ. :unsure:;):o

Yea, I could do that, but what if there is a micro that takes us to a really nice place to see?

Or is that just the decision that I need to make and deal with it?

You'll never know until you get there and find out if the cache was "worth" the effort. Look through all the caches you THINK you'll enjoy and whittle it down from there.

If you go paperless you could put all the cache descriptions on your PDA, then you check the description of the cache before pulling off the highway. Just a thought if you don't have time to go through all the caches before you leave. If you do have time to read the descriptions before hand that can allow you to plan ahead a bit if there's one that sounds particularly appealing. We've cached on a couple of trips and for us it usually goes something like this...WOW this is fantastic I love this spot, I wonder if there's any caches around here then we check the GPS and go grab any nearby caches.

That is what I would do, if you have a PDA. I would load all the caches in your GPSr and all the caches in your PDA. As you drive, if you see a little Treasure Chest pop up on the screen, you could pull over and read the description to see if it is one you want to do, and can do at that time.

When I went on a road trip, I limited the caches in my PQ to those with a Difficulty of less than 2 1/2. That way, if there happened to be one at the gas station where I was getting gas anyway, it wouldn't be too cleverly-cammoed and difficult to find. No sense in missing out on another "Smilie" if I just happened to be next to a cache . . . :unsure:

Since I figured most "hiking caches" would have a Difficulty rating of 2 1/2 or less, I didn't think I would be eliminating many of them, if any at all.

I'd post the same question in the Utah and Nevada state website forums, or look to see if they have a 'greatest hits' list. You'll get better feedback without the snarky comments that seem so prevalent in here these days. There are far fewer soapboxes in local forums.

I've been to Vegas a few times, but havn't ventured in the direction of Zion yet, so I cannot give any answer based on personal experience.

Even if you aren't staying on the strip, be sure to find the Presidential Suite near the Flamingo. I think the location is so special that I return every time I'm in Vegas even though I have already logged the cache. Now that's a virtual! :unsure:

Take the the time to visit the Pioneer Saloon Cache. You'll need a car but its worth the drive. Its an interesting piece of Vegas history. In addition to its being in operation since 1913 the exterior was used for a Cheech & Chong movie, Clark Gable spent several days there in 1947, and there are a few bullet holes in the walls with placards that explain how they got there. Plus you can get a cold beer.

Hey Folks,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I figure I am going to read through the 156 descriptions and choose from there. I have also discovered a few bookmark lists. I also already registered on the Nevada and Utah geocaching sites. I am going to ask them for their favorites. I will let everyone know how many replies I get.

Thanks again.

Bob

Hey Folks,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I figure I am going to read through the 156 descriptions and choose from there. I have also discovered a few bookmark lists. I also already registered on the Nevada and Utah geocaching sites. I am going to ask them for their favorites. I will let everyone know how many replies I get.

Thanks again.

Bob

Hi Bob, Maybe I'm a bit late in responding. I just got home from a week in Vegas. Your mode of travel would be most important in deciding what caches. At least thats how I play. I have a jeep so go for the desert. Three points to consider if you have a vehicle at your disposal. I pick a zip code and zone in from there. I have only encountered one nano and one micro in the Las Vegas area. If you want to stay metro log in the waypoint of GCHYCB and radiate from their. This is a log only cache but there are so many beautiful parks in Las Vegas just waiting for discovery. If you can get out of the city head up 95 and log in coordinates of 36 34.292 N 116 04.560 W. Radiate from their in 5 and 10 mile sections. I think you will be surprised how beautiful the desert can be and trust me you will get a hike in. Don't go for Awww Ratzz. Its a dangerous position and I need to contact the owner. Either their coordinates are off or they didn't consider the traffic.

Keep on Caching