What do you do for a living?

E3Chief

I'm always curious what people do for a living. I'm sure that there are quite a few retired folks here too. What did you do before you retired? When do you find time to go geocaching?

Myself, I am an active duty Air Force staff sergeant. I am a flight engineer on the E-3 AWACS. I sit behind the co-pilot and have a huge panel that I monitor. I control all of the fuel, weight and balance, hydraulics, pneumatics, electric generators, and I manage the engines. I also compute all of the flight data, handle in flight emergencies, and slap the co-pilot in the head when he wants to do something stupid. I love the job and the AWACS is an incredible aircraft.

What do you guys do?

e-3-AWACS.jpg

I work very hard at controling peoples minds so that see what I want them to see, not what is really there. I'm also a very honest liar - I tell people I'm going to lie to them, tell the lie, and they still believe me. And they pay me to do all this! Ain't life grand!

BTW, I'm a magician.

I lay around all day and eat chocolate bon bons.

That is sooooo weird and coincidental, as my job involves chocolate brandy-soaked bon bons as well! Amazing!

You have, of course, heard of any of several well-known projects which search for extraterrestrial intelligence using networks of arrays of radio telescope antennas, sensitive radio receivers which scan the RF spectrum, and sophisticated computer algorithms looking at the data for suspicious signals from outer space which may signal the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations. One of the better-known projects in this realm is the SETI project. Well, my job is kinda related to that whole thing, but the opposite: I work for a large but little-known and rather mysterious Illuminati-backed non-profit organization which believes that SETI-type programs are doomed to failure because the basic premise of such operations is akin to looking for needles in a haystack. While our organization is dedicated to finding extraterrestrial intelligent life, the method we employ is the opposite of the search-type projects such as SETI. Instead of searching, we try to attract intelligent extra-terrestrial life forms to visit our planet, and specifically, to land at our facility (co-located with my residence, in the forested mountain wilderness of Western Maryland). Our project, now in its tenth year, attempts to attract aliens by beaming outward to the universe powerful non-stop radio signals bearing complex modulation which carries the essence of (the smell and taste of) chocolate bourbon-soaked bon bons.

The reasoning behind the design of our project is elegant: we realized years ago, using sophisticated software algorithms, powerful supercomputers and a team of intuitive monks based at a secret mountaintop monastery in Colorado, that chocolate bourbon bon-bons are the ultimate food in the universe (actually, in all three universes) and that Chinese steamed dumplings were the second-most ultimate/popular food in the universe, and thus bon bons will be considered to be the ultimate food by and all intelligent life forms in the universe. Thus, we beam the chocolate bourbon-soaked bon bon-modulated radio signals outward, reasoning that any intelligent life forms which have mastered interstellar travel will immediately follow the signal back to its source, to the transmitter and antenna array located in my backyard, and will land their craft here and make contact with us. BTW, due to the fact that Chinese steamed dumplings (pork with green onions) are the second most popular/ultimate food for all sentient beings in the universe, we occasionally -- usually for two hours each day in one-hour blocks of transmission time apiece -- send signals modulated by essence of (the smell and taste of) Chinese steamed dumplings instead of the bourbon-soaked bon bon-modulated signal. Ultimately, this is much easier, cheaper and simpler than scanning the skies with radio telescopes looking for alien civilizations.

BTW, our transmitters are quite powerful, and consume almost a terawatt of power. Our local power companies and their distribution grid cannot come anywhere close to sourcing such vast amounts of power, and thus we employ vast armies of captive hamsters to power treadmill generators which then provide the vast amounts of power needed for the radio transmitters.

In closing: Please do not believe anything that the Snoogans account writes about me or about this post -- that account is merely one of my sock puppets, and I tend to rant and rave wildly when posting under that account name!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

My profile lists my occupation as "Hasidic Diamond Merchant."

06.jpgbluesbro.jpg

But really......

I babysit adults for a living. I also get to think for them pretty often. <_<

When they're reeeeally good, I let them play with GUNS. :P:)

BTW- My father flew the grandaddy of that plane of yours in Vietnam.... The EC-121

ec-121-0000000b.jpg

That is sooooo weird and coincidental, as my job involves chocolate brandy-soaked bon bons as well! Amazing!

You have, of course, heard of any of several well-known projects which search for extraterrestrial intelligence using networks of arrays of radio telescope antennas, sensitive radio receivers which scan the RF spectrum, and sophisticated computer algorithms looking at the data for suspicious signals from outer space which may signal the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations. One of the better-known projects in this realm is the SETI project. Well, my job is kinda related to that whole thing, but the opposite: I work for a large but little-known and rather mysterious Illuminati-backed non-profit organization which believes that SETI-type programs are doomed to failure because the basic premise of such operations is akin to looking for needles in a haystack. While our organization is dedicated to finding extraterrestrial intelligent life, the method we employ is the opposite of the search-type projects such as SETI. Instead of searching, we try to attract intelligent extra-terrestrial life forms to visit our planet, and specifically, to land at our facility (co-located with my residence, in the forested mountain wilderness of Western Maryland). Our project, now in its tenth year, attempts to attract aliens by beaming outward to the universe powerful non-stop radio signals bearing complex modulation which carries the essence of chocolate bourbon-soaked bon bons.

The reasoning behind the design of our project is elegant: we realized years ago, using sophisticated software algorithms, powerful supercomputers and a team of intuitive monks based at a secret mountaintop monastery in Colorado, that chocolate bourbon bon-bons are the ultimate food in the universe (actually, in all three universes) and thus will be considered to be the ultimate food by and all intelligent life forms in the universe. Thus, we beam the chocolate bourbon-soaked bon bon-modulated radio signals outward, reasoning that any intelligent life forms which have mastered interstellar travel will immediately follow the signal back to its source, to the transmitter and antenna array located in my backyard, and will land here and make contact with us. Ultimately, this is much easier, cheaper and simpler than scanning the skies with radio telescopes looking for alien civilizations.

BTW, our transmitters are quite powerful, and consume almost a terawatt of power. Our local power companies and their distribution grid cannot come anywhere close to sourcing such vast amounts of power, and thus we employ vast armies of captive hamsters to power treadmill generators which then provide the vast amounts of power needed for the radio transmitters.

:P<_<

I have been eating grapes, too. Perhaps I'll stick to them from now on. :)

You have, of course, heard of any of several well-known projects which search for extraterrestrial intelligence using networks of arrays of radio telescope antennas, sensitive radio receivers which scan the RF spectrum, and sophisticated computer algorithms looking at the data for suspicious signals from outer space which may signal the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations. One of the better-known projects in this realm is the SETI project. Well, my job is kinda related to that whole thing, but the opposite: I work for a large but little-known and rather mysterious Illuminati-backed non-profit organization which believes that SETI-type programs are doomed to failure because the basic premise of such operations is akin to looking for needles in a haystack. While our organization is dedicated to finding extraterrestrial intelligent life, the method we employ is the opposite of the search-type projects such as SETI. Instead of searching, we try to attract intelligent extra-terrestrial life forms to visit our planet, and specifically, to land at our facility (co-located with my residence, in the forested mountain wilderness of Western Maryland). Our project, now in its tenth year, attempts to attract aliens by beaming outward to the universe powerful non-stop radio signals bearing complex modulation which carries the essence of chocolate bourbon-soaked bon bons.

The reasoning behind the design of our project is elegant: we realized years ago, using sophisticated software algorithms, powerful supercomputers and a team of intuitive monks based at a secret mountaintop monastery in Colorado, that chocolate bourbon bon-bons are the ultimate food in the universe (actually, in all three universes) and thus will be considered to be the ultimate food by and all intelligent life forms in the universe. Thus, we beam the chocolate bourbon-soaked bon bon-modulated radio signals outward, reasoning that any intelligent life forms which have mastered interstellar travel will immediately follow the signal back to its source, to the transmitter and antenna array located in my backyard, and will land here and make contact with us. Ultimately, this is much easier, cheaper and simpler than scanning the skies with radio telescopes looking for alien civilizations.

Vinny, I'd be willing to bet that this is a smoke screen and YOUR DNA is not of this Earth.

Also, I'd bet that your off-the-grid power source is really powering a VAST subterranean grow operation and your SETI type group is just a front. :P;):unsure::P:o

I'm wondering if Vinny could use any help. Maybe just like a part-time weekend thing. My kids have two hamsters that I could donate to the effort, also 9 pygmy goats if you have a way to integrate them into your system.

If this doesn't work out I'll keep my regular job...I'm a Chiropractor and I also own three Assisted Living Homes for the elderly.

I'm wondering if Vinny could use any help. Maybe just like a part-time weekend thing. My kids have two hamsters that I could donate to the effort, also 9 pygmy goats if you have a way to integrate them into your system.

If this doesn't work out I'll keep my regular job...I'm a Chiropractor and I also own three Assisted Living Homes for the elderly.

No help needed at this time, but thanks for the mention of goats in order to fulfill the Groundspeak requirement of at least one mention of goats per thread!

Vinny, I'd be willing to bet that this is a smoke screen and YOUR DNA is not of this Earth.

Also, I'd bet that your off-the-grid power source is really powering a VAST subterranean grow operation and your SETI type group is just a front. :P;):unsure::P:o

You are not that far off-base. Investigators from a secret government agency have been out here three times to search my labs and our property, sure that we are using all that power and all those cases of Hostess Twinkies to grow thousands of alien gray (the ones from Zeta Reticuli, not the grays from Zxtwryip) babies -- which must pass through four larval instar stages before reaching their final form as adult alien grays -- in mass incubators while infusing emulsified Hostess Twinkies and used motor oil into their veins for nourishment. So far, their intensive searches have failed to find any space alien larvae or their incubators.

Myself, I am an active duty Air Force staff sergeant. I am a flight engineer on the E-3 AWACS.

Jeez, after an opening like that I know MY own job is nowhere as cool. However, there's a fair bet that I had a hand in making the hard drives in your computer systems, so at least that's something close to cool.

But I do have pics of my dad who went in the Navy in '28 and thought jumping out of bi-planes airplanes back then was a good idea. They walked out on the wings and jumped. Miramar was pretty empty at that time. lol

I used to have 3 goats. One of which was an angora that looked like RastaGoat that I bought from this guy who was going to sell him for tacos.

I.......... and slap the co-pilot in the head when he wants to do something stupid.

Easily, the most important part of the job. But, at least he didn't mention the part about having to change the co-pilot's diaper.

Me, I ride through the predawn hours astride 470 horses and complicated ratios of mechanical toothed circular transfer devices, drinking coffee and blasting the radio to keep awake, racing to get consumer commodities to locations where they will sit on shelves gathering dust until such time as an individual perceives a need, real or imagined, for the items in question.

Often, I get to return to my home base with vast quantities of sailboat fuel locked safely within my assigned mobile containment unit.

I retired form the Army Reserves recenlty after more than 20 years active duty Marine regular National Guard and Regular Army Reserves with two oil wars (14 years between them) and one combat zone tour at a banana republic. Plus, five or six MOS's.

Right now I'm a clerk at a Federal Country Club in the trust fund section. No big shots attend our campus, although we're hoping to get Michael Vick.

You have, of course, heard of any of several well-known projects which search for extraterrestrial intelligence using networks of arrays of radio telescope antennas, sensitive radio receivers which scan the RF spectrum, and sophisticated computer algorithms looking at the data for suspicious signals from outer space which may signal the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations. One of the better-known projects in this realm is the SETI project. Well, my job is kinda related to that whole thing, but the opposite: I work for a large but little-known and rather mysterious Illuminati-backed non-profit organization which believes that SETI-type programs are doomed to failure because the basic premise of such operations is akin to looking for needles in a haystack. While our organization is dedicated to finding extraterrestrial intelligent life, the method we employ is the opposite of the search-type projects such as SETI. Instead of searching, we try to attract intelligent extra-terrestrial life forms to visit our planet, and specifically, to land at our facility (co-located with my residence, in the forested mountain wilderness of Western Maryland). Our project, now in its tenth year, attempts to attract aliens by beaming outward to the universe powerful non-stop radio signals bearing complex modulation which carries the essence of (the smell and taste of) chocolate bourbon-soaked bon bons.

The reasoning behind the design of our project is elegant: we realized years ago, using sophisticated software algorithms, powerful supercomputers and a team of intuitive monks based at a secret mountaintop monastery in Colorado, that chocolate bourbon bon-bons are the ultimate food in the universe (actually, in all three universes) and that Chinese steamed dumplings were the second-most ultimate/popular food in the universe, and thus bon bons will be considered to be the ultimate food by and all intelligent life forms in the universe. Thus, we beam the chocolate bourbon-soaked bon bon-modulated radio signals outward, reasoning that any intelligent life forms which have mastered interstellar travel will immediately follow the signal back to its source, to the transmitter and antenna array located in my backyard, and will land their craft here and make contact with us. BTW, due to the fact that Chinese steamed dumplings (pork with green onions) are the second most popular/ultimate food for all sentient beings in the universe, we occasionally -- usually for two hours each day in one-hour blocks of transmission time apiece -- send signals modulated by essence of (the smell and taste of) Chinese steamed dumplings instead of the bourbon-soaked bon bon-modulated signal. Ultimately, this is much easier, cheaper and simpler than scanning the skies with radio telescopes looking for alien civilizations.

In closing: Please do not believe anything that the Snoogans account writes about me or about this post -- that account is merely one of my sock puppets, and I tend to rant and rave wildly when posting under that account name!

It's all making sense now. Vinny is part of the collective and resistance is futile.... :unsure:

I work for a company that manufacturers devices that create millions of coach potatos around the globe. It's really pretty exciting! :o

In addition to the disclosures which I had previously made in my earlier posts about my occupation, I am also the charismatic psychotic leader of an obscure and bizarre cult. Incidentally, membership in the cult is available by application process only (five photos required) and available only to heiresses (including "trust fund girls") who are between 18 and 34 years of age and whose net worth is at least 3 million US dollars.

How about a semi-retired former Park Ranger turned geek - Currently a part-time Systems Engineer/Network Specialist/Network Admin and small business owner (IT consultant).

It's a living and lets me cache a couple days a week in addition to weekends.

Although I am now retired, I may very well have made some of the parts for that AWACS. I ran CNC milling machines for "a large aircraft manufacturing company". Retired after 30 years.

Boeing, I presume!

College Student, Custodial helper, and Seasonal park maintance person for King County Parks in the summer. BTW, Thanks to all the veterans and active duty service members here!

23 years in IT for a major corporation, the last 10 as a systems programmer and before that a COBOL programmer, systems analyst and computer operator.

I was laid off in 2001 and got a job with a consulting company and I go where and do what they tell me to do. So far I've helped set up, then worked in a call center, been an auditor, a data entry clerk and a software tester.

I repair pharmacy robots all over the US and Canada(soon I hope) I am fortunate that my company understands the need to take a short break whilst driving between jobs to stretch my legs.

Of course sometimes like yesterday it looks funny to have one find each in three different states, sometimes separated by 1000 miles.