Champoeg 2008

fractal

The dates for Champoeg 2008 are going to be announced...soon-ish! :)

For those that don't know, Champoeg State Park is located near Salem, Oregon, and for the past 6 years, geocachers from all over have come to camp-out, pull out English Ivy, take part in weird/fun events, and get to know their fellow cachers. It's sort of like summer camp for the whole family!

Champoeg 2008 will be our 7th year, and I really want it to be our biggest year yet.

The largest service group the park has had in the past is about 150 people. If we could show up with 175 or more, we could set a record, and do an amazing job of removing the evil English Ivy.

It's a lot of work, but it comes with several great rewards:

-Feel good knowing that you helped out a great park

-Relax and enjoy the company of some of the greatest people around.

-Take part in unique events that you'll be talking about for years.

-Experience the Shotski, shower shot, and DeLuge!

-and infinite other things!

In the past, we have reserved about half of the campground. This year, we are going for the whole place.

People who camped in 2007 have dibbs on their spot in 2008. New campers will have several site to choose from (hopefully), and there will also be a large group camp area for tents and RV's, although there are limits to these areas.

If the campground fills up, there are also several hotels and such in the (very) nearby town of Newberg, Oregon.

Trust me.. It's fun <_< I'm sure some other folks will post on here saying the same thing... At least I hope so!

We really want to set that record for park service project, so please try and join us, even if it is just for the day.

We will be announcing the dates soon-ish here in this forum topic, along with this year's theme (for decorating your campsite).

If you want to get in early on making your reservations, sign up on the forums on www.champoeg.com so you can get the official announcement emails.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to see you at Champoeg :P

-fractal

As fairly new cachers back in 2002, we saw a thread about a get together to do a park service project in some funny sounding park in Oregon. For us at that time it was a big thing to drive 3 hours to go to an event in the next state over. We knew that there would be no one there we knew but we talked about it for a bit and figured it sounded like fun.

It was so much fun we had no second thoughts about attending the event the following year and we haven't missed a year yet. We are anxiously waiting for the date for Champoeg 2008 because we don't commit to any other summer weekends until we know when Champoeg is.

While the scale of the event has grown since the original weekend back in 2002, the core idea is still the same. Spend some time doing a service project for the park and then spend the rest of the weekend having fun with other people that share this hobby. The creativity of the people involved in this event never ceases to amaze me. It's a roller coaster ride of fun from the moment you arrive at the park. The best part is that there is something for everyone and while it sometime seems overwhelming with all of the activities scheduled, you can do as many or as few of them as you want.

If you have a sense of adventure then Champoeg should be on your must do list for 2008!

We too have been told we are going to the camp. Well itsnot like we where complaining too hard about it either. We are stoked about this event and are eagerly waiting tilits anouncement.

You aren't going to regret going. This is the most fun we've had in years. Everyone is open and welcoming.

Both kids and adults play well together at Champoeg. Even though there were gallons of alcohol drank over the weekend I only saw one person, what I would call, sloppy drunk. Those who drink get a nice buzz going and that's it.

We are SOOO glad that Wander Lost and Misguided One badgered us to go...other wise we wouldn't have! Sometimes you have to be drug, kicking and screaming, into having fun.

Looking forward to seeing you guys as well as the Snookie/Hawk combo there!

Kungaloosh!

Mark your calenders: Champoeg 2008 - July 25th-27th!

We are waiting for "squatter's rights" to expire on the campsites before we post camping information here on the Geocaching.com forums, but I wanted to at least get the date out there for folks so they can start to plan.

For those who may not be able to get a site, or just want to stay in a nearby hotel, this Google map search should be helpful.

281 days to go!

-fractal

OMG!!! Do you people realize how close we are to Champoeg!!

AGGGGGH!! This is worse than waiting for Christmas to come!

What's Champoeg?? :D

It's when you wash your hair with champagne :D

Champoeg, for those of you who don't know.... is pronounced Shampooie.

Champoeg is a park in Oregon contains one of the most fun, 3 day, all out, loser leave town GeoCaching events. If you live in the Pacific Northwest this is, in my opinion, THE event to do before you die.

It's camping, it's ivy pulling, it's a Gong Show, it's a Silly Hat Parade, it's a "Make your own super hero" program, it's drinking, it's meet and greets, it's shower shots, it's pancake breakfasts, it's anarchy caches, it's.... it's.... it's just a load of fun that I wouldn't miss for anything.

Champoeg is worth every dime of $4 a gallon for gas.

Champoeg Day One

Champoeg Day Two

Champoeg Day Three

This part has so many Yurts etc. and camp sites. Is there some that don't get a spot? When does one need to prepare for this event? It is obvious too late for me this year BUT maybe next year? Does any one go and sleep in their vehicle? Questions, questions I know - inquisitive minds NEED to know :D :D

This part has so many Yurts etc. and camp sites. Is there some that don't get a spot? When does one need to prepare for this event? It is obvious too late for me this year BUT maybe next year? Does any one go and sleep in their vehicle? Questions, questions I know - inquisitive minds NEED to know :P:D

Yes, now,why not this year, Yes

Now that I answered your questions go to the Chamgpoeg website. I think the wagon master still had a couple sites left in the RV section for campers. (RV not nessesary) and sometimes if your lucky one of the other campers will have room in their campsites. Just post a reqest you could get lucky.

This part has so many Yurts etc. and camp sites. Is there some that don't get a spot? When does one need to prepare for this event? It is obvious too late for me this year BUT maybe next year? Does any one go and sleep in their vehicle? Questions, questions I know - inquisitive minds NEED to know :P:D

This was just posted at the Champoeg forum today.

"There are about 6 spots available in the RV area. Contact the wagonmaster at "champoeg at gmail dot com" to reserve."

SLaB Attack #6

45 39.820

122 34.247

What is a SLaB attack? Well, SLaB stands for Sled Dog, Lobotomy, and Bonch. We are running the main event at Champoeg this year. The (adjective) Champoeg geo-race. We are trying to promote this by having ten SLaB attacks around the northwest. We are hiding slabs of meat for you to find. After you find the slab, bring it to one of us at Champoeg for a prize. You can find the coordinates on the Champoeg.com forums, the PDX forums, the Champoeg day 3 page, and the GC forums. Not all the slabs will be on all these sites. You will need to watch them all to see where we hide them. When you do find one please let us know at this link:

http://champoeg.moonrize.com/forum/viewtop...46&start=75

SLaB Attack #6

45 39.820

122 34.247

What is a SLaB attack? Well, SLaB stands for Sled Dog, Lobotomy, and Bonch. We are running the main event at Champoeg this year. The (adjective) Champoeg geo-race. We are trying to promote this by having ten SLaB attacks around the northwest. We are hiding slabs of meat for you to find. After you find the slab, bring it to one of us at Champoeg for a prize. You can find the coordinates on the Champoeg.com forums, the PDX forums, the Champoeg day 3 page, and the GC forums. Not all the slabs will be on all these sites. You will need to watch them all to see where we hide them. When you do find one please let us know at this link:

http://champoeg.moonrize.com/forum/viewtop...46&start=75

Found by Cowboy Bebop

So, really, how big can this event be? Only 37 will attend logs! :unsure:

I think some people may have been traumatized when *ahem* someone whipped off their gold lame boxer shorts, twirled them around their head like Lash Larue then threw them onto the stage at the Gong Show.

For heavens sake... let them get some therapy before they post!

So, really, how big can this event be? Only 37 will attend logs! :D

I think some people may have been traumatized when *ahem* someone whipped off their gold lame boxer shorts, twirled them around their head like Lash Larue then threw them onto the stage at the Gong Show.

For heavens sake... let them get some therapy before they post!

That sounds sick!! :D:D

So, how many reviewers did we have at Champoeg??

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :)

We had reviewers that cover five different states attend. Multiple reviewers from four of those states. :huh:

I know of one from CA, one from WA, and one from OR... mmm, maybe if I think for a while I could come up with a few more wait... I just thought of another one... I just don't know who the fifth one is???

This was really a secret reviewer meet and greet, but it wasn't on the public forum.... :):)