New cache type/icon

J-Way

My preference is to use attributes or bookmark list to identify sub-categories of caches for cachers who need help in sorting these out. The problem with some puzzle caches is that the owner may not want his cache to be in a particular sub-category as it could be a used as an unwanted hint.

I'd ALMOST like to suggest these as attributes and move them into the Traditional or Multi-stage categories. BUT, the PQ selector for attributes doesn't work right (especially with exclude) and the attributes aren't passed into the GPX file so that GSAK or other software can filter.

Edited by Markwell

Perhaps looking the issue itself from a different may be appropriate.

Considering we are talking about a new category of hide and upon reflection it appears we are still trying to fill a hole with a peg that doesn't quite fit. Consider my previous definitions:

• Traditional - Starts and ends at the listed coordinates.
  • Multicache - Begins at the listed coordinates and ends somewhere else.
  • Puzzle - Starts and ends somewhere other than at the listed coordinates.

Perhaps we're creating definitions for the wrong word. What if we removed "puzzle" from the category list altogether and made it instead an attribute and the word we break out is "mystery?" The new, slightly altered definitions could be:

• Puzzle - Starts and ends somewhere other than at the listed coordinates.
  • Mystery - Where the hunt begins and ends is a mystery. User must gather clues (not necessarily solve a puzzle) to garner how and where to begin the hunt.
  • Unknown/Not Chosen - The "catch-all" category or the owner doesn't want to reveal the type of hunt.

Considering the established feel of hunt that is "traditional" and "multi," I think "mystery" fits better than "puzzle." It would end confusion of how to categorize a hunt that contains a puzzle as my previous definitions allowed for puzzles in any category when there was a category called "puzzle." Confusing.

I believe this would be much easier to understand when someone is trying to categorize a hunt and allows the definition of the puzzle attribute to remain fuzzy enough to satisfy varying tastes and opinions. You can have a puzzle in the hunt of any category while making sure the hunts with bogus listed coordinates continue to be broken out into their own group.

Thoughts?

The Puzzle cache /Mystery Cache issue is one thing.

What I find very unintuitive, is that off-set caches should be listed as multi's. :surprise:

A multi should be a string of physical containers that lead to the logbook.

I'd even settle for a cache attribute to distinguish between an off-set, puzzle and truly physical multi.

As for volunteering to review caches and change them to a new icon. While I like this idea and would gladly help out, for some reason the admins feel it's inappropriate to change cache types once there are found logs.

There are several caches in my area that are categorized incorrectly.

Anyway, I would vote for a Puzzle icon and an Off-Set icon. :ph34r:

The Puzzle cache /Mystery Cache issue is one thing.

What I find very unintuitive, is that off-set caches should be listed as multi's. :ph34r:

A multi should be a string of physical containers that lead to the logbook.

The reason "Offsets" should be classified as Multis is because you cannot just use the GPSr to find them. Traditional caches should be able to be found without reading the cache page (although I do not recommend that). Multis and Offsets require a cacher to read the cache page to figure out where the final container is, thus they have the "Multi" designation.

I'd even settle for a cache attribute to distinguish between an off-set, puzzle and truly physical multi.

As for volunteering to review caches and change them to a new icon. While I like this idea and would gladly help out, for some reason the admins feel it's inappropriate to change cache types once there are found logs.

There are several caches in my area that are categorized incorrectly.

I noticed that recently. An older cache here is really a Puzzle but categorized as a Multi. When I brought that to the attention of our Reviewer, he didn't want to change it since it had been that way for several years . . . :surprise:

I Vote for a Puzzle designation and another for "Photo" caches, ALRs, and other caches those of us who are "Puzzle-challenged" can figure out. ;)

Perhaps looking the issue itself from a different may be appropriate.

Perhaps we're creating definitions for the wrong word. What if we removed "puzzle" from the category list altogether and made it instead an attribute and the word we break out is "mystery?" The new, slightly altered definitions could be:

• Mystery - Where the hunt begins and ends is a mystery. User must gather clues (not necessarily solve a puzzle) to garner how and where to begin the hunt.
  • Unknown/Not Chosen - The "catch-all" category or the owner doesn't want to reveal the type of hunt.

Considering the established feel of hunt that is "traditional" and "multi," I think "mystery" fits better than "puzzle." It would end confusion of how to categorize a hunt that contains a puzzle as my previous definitions allowed for puzzles in any category when there was a category called "puzzle." Confusing.

I believe this would be much easier to understand when someone is trying to categorize a hunt and allows the definition of the puzzle attribute to remain fuzzy enough to satisfy varying tastes and opinions. You can have a puzzle in the hunt of any category while making sure the hunts with bogus listed coordinates continue to be broken out into their own group.

Thoughts?

I think I like this idea! It would be a stretch to call some of the caches that would be included in the proposed "puzzle" category "puzzles". But calling the new category "Mystery", and specifically excluding ALR's, would work for me.

Another benefit for "mystery" would be the new icon. I was thinking of something like a magnifying glass (leave the "?" with "Unknown"). A magnifying glass works better with Mystery than with Puzzle, IMHO.

Graphics is most definitely NOT my strong point. Is anyone out there willing to take on the task of creating new icons for the new category? It'll be extremely hard to convince TPTB to create a new category, but at least if we do a lot of the easy work ahead of time they'll have fewer excuses.