Micros with a Purpose

Zeevious

A newb's thoughts on micros, I imagine there isn't anything new you can say in these forums, but I am bored and on a conference call to which I do not need to pay attention, so here it goes.

Big caches are good. =) We get to leave our calling cards, perhaps trade some items, move some travel bugs along... They get the kids excited. Ahh the fresh clink of an ammo can; something with volume. So much more interesting than a micro to me. I like to leave goodies, and I need some room, damnit!

Anyway, I am pretty new, but I have been reading lots of old threads. It seems there is pretty universal disdain for micro park-n-grabs and lampost type caches. I totally agree.

Micros should be used with a specific purpose in mind, other than "thats all I can fit in this lame place" or "thats all my lazy arse can manage". As waypoints in multi-caches to a final that is something larger, they can extend a trek through scenic areas and raise the challenge level, especially when you have to find them in areas where there are lots of nooks and crannies. The other primary purposes I can see for micros are in urban settings, in mystery/puzzles, etc.

If one wishs to place a cache somewhere, and one can only find enough room for a single micro, one might want to re-examine whether if its worth placing. Does the trip to the micro have any scenic value? Perhaps there is a way to at least spice it up by adding a puzzle, making it a multi, or doing something educational/historical.

I know there are many places in the world that require gorgeous hikes to difficult locations, where the journey to the destination is the primary goal and the main pleasure. And thats why a lot of us do this, after all. A micro is probably more fulfilling than just logging a waymark/virtual site given the ability to physically sign a log and prove you were there. But isn't it nicer to be able to write something more than your name? Perhaps some of these places don't have room for anything other than a single micro. If that's true, then go for it, I am sure people will enjoy it for what it is. But if you *can* do more than a micro for the final... please do =)

zeevious,,i think theres plenty of reasons for micros..they can be hidden alot harder ..kinda like bow hunting compared to rifle hunting or fly fishing compared to bait fishing..alot of times it takes alot more skill..alot of people who complain about them do so brcauce they have a hrd time finding them..the only dnf i have is a micro..

Edited by team lagonda

zeevious,,i think theres plenty of reasons for micros..they can be hidden alot harder ..kinda like bow hunting compared to rifle hunting or fly fishing compared to bait fishing..alot of times it takes alot more skill..

Ok, well you make a very good point, the final hunt itself is certainly more difficult and you can be more creative in the hide. I enjoy finding well-hidden micros, as well, finding one can be quite a rush! However, why not hide your micro as well as you can in the spot you want, and then put coordinates in it for an ammo can somewhere else that is hidden "good enough" and far enough way but not too far... The reward for finding the well-hidden micros on the way. /shrug Yeah, sometimes that isn't possible or is a pita.

This sport has so many facets and is so many different things to so many different kinds of people... Lots of strokes and different folks... It continues to amaze me. =)

Life is good.

Below are a few photos from my gallery. What do they have in common? They were all taken at or on the way to geocaches that happened to be micros, all within the past two weeks, all in Pennsylvania, and all chosen pretty much at random, not from some "best caches" list. And it didn't matter a bit to me that I couldn't trade a happy meal toy. I was too busy enjoying the view. But had they been multicaches, I would likely have skipped them, as I was on a roadtrip.

This is a sample from just two weeks worth of "purposes." There are dozens or hundreds more examples that I could offer, and I'm just one geocacher.

Overlooking Jim Thorpe, PA:

d4921fd6-5f72-4546-a821-1e11ff656ac2.jpg

On the banks of the Susquehanna River in Tunkhannock, PA:

8498e413-a89e-45e0-b9d5-ccab9a3c75e8.jpg

At "Wright's View" in Sullivan County, PA:

b581b4a8-193d-407d-a14e-ef71d91112e1.jpg

Signal the Frog visits Bald Eagle State Park in Clinton County, PA:

bef74ee1-6c5e-4c84-876c-99fef7bffaad.jpg

Nice country indeed, sounds like you had a nice time =) Interesting comment on not wanting to take the time to do multis being on a roadtrip, thats an angle I hadn't considered, only wanting to make short stops. I guess there is something for everyone and every situation, and thats part of what makes it all great.

Ok, well you make a very good point, the final hunt itself is certainly more difficult and you can be more creative in the hide.

I'll have to disagree with this conclusion.

A smaller cache is easier to hide with more difficulty. It's not impossible to make a larger cache very difficult to find and what that takes is creativity.

We have a particular cache that gets us phone calls for hints. When asked where the coords have taken them many times they report they are pretty much standing within inches of the cache.

BTW, that cache is a S.A.W. can (larger than a .50 cal ammo can) and the size is listed.

So, you see, IMHO, if folks are wanting to show off their skills at hiding caches then hiding to the harder-to-hide caches would be the thing to do.

A newb's thoughts on micros, I imagine there isn't anything new you can say in these forums, but I am bored and on a conference call to which I do not need to pay attention, so here it goes.

Big caches are good. =) We get to leave our calling cards, perhaps trade some items, move some travel bugs along... They get the kids excited. Ahh the fresh clink of an ammo can; something with volume. So much more interesting than a micro to me. I like to leave goodies, and I need some room, damnit!

Anyway, I am pretty new, but I have been reading lots of old threads. It seems there is pretty universal disdain for micro park-n-grabs and lampost type caches. I totally agree.

Micros should be used with a specific purpose in mind, other than "thats all I can fit in this lame place" or "thats all my lazy arse can manage". As waypoints in multi-caches to a final that is something larger, they can extend a trek through scenic areas and raise the challenge level, especially when you have to find them in areas where there are lots of nooks and crannies. The other primary purposes I can see for micros are in urban settings, in mystery/puzzles, etc.

If one wishs to place a cache somewhere, and one can only find enough room for a single micro, one might want to re-examine whether if its worth placing. Does the trip to the micro have any scenic value? Perhaps there is a way to at least spice it up by adding a puzzle, making it a multi, or doing something educational/historical.

I know there are many places in the world that require gorgeous hikes to difficult locations, where the journey to the destination is the primary goal and the main pleasure. And thats why a lot of us do this, after all. A micro is probably more fulfilling than just logging a waymark/virtual site given the ability to physically sign a log and prove you were there. But isn't it nicer to be able to write something more than your name? Perhaps some of these places don't have room for anything other than a single micro. If that's true, then go for it, I am sure people will enjoy it for what it is. But if you *can* do more than a micro for the final... please do =)

Quit talkin' sense. You're out of place here.

Few things... first, I generally don't mind micros when that's all that can fit in whatever area. Turning it into a multi or a puzzle... eh, don't like those so much. I like to go geocaching on a whim, when I have time. Quite often, I won't have time to wander around for half an hour, or sit down and try to figure out some obscure puzzle.

Second, Zeevious, your name rocks. I'm going to assume it's a take on the game "Xevious" (arguably the most played downloaded game on my Wii, as well as most played cartridge on my old Atari 7800).

Few things... first, I generally don't mind micros when that's all that can fit in whatever area. Turning it into a multi or a puzzle... eh, don't like those so much. I like to go geocaching on a whim, when I have time. Quite often, I won't have time to wander around for half an hour, or sit down and try to figure out some obscure puzzle.

Second, Zeevious, your name rocks. I'm going to assume it's a take on the game "Xevious" (arguably the most played downloaded game on my Wii, as well as most played cartridge on my old Atari 7800).

Well, being pretty new to GCing, I don't have the experience of a 1000+ finds under my belt (heck, I don't even have a belt!) but I know that there are times each type of cache holds appeal to me.

There are times I want to hunt, but am tired, crunched on time, etc. I have a bad knee, so hiking isn't always easy for me...and in these cases, micros & PnG's serve their pupose for me.

On the weekends, I prefer to plan on more challenging caches, and have the energy & time to go hike and find the bigger caches. This is definitely the type my kids prefer as well.

I'd like to think that each cache, micro or large, is just right for someone, at some time :D

It seems there is pretty universal disdain for micro park-n-grabs and lampost type caches. I totally agree.

Not necessarily true. There is quite loud vocal disdain among some, but I wouldnt say its universal. There are a lot of people who happen to like such caches. Micro park and grabs are good for those who are handicapped too. Those who are vocal against such micros tho should be setting an example and setting many fine urban hides.

"It seems there is pretty universal disdain for micro park-n-grabs and lampost type caches. I totally agree."

True, so true. <_<:P:)

Remember the four pictures I posted earlier in the thread, all taken at the sites of micros? All four were "park and grabs." One was a lamp post cache, one was a guardrail cache, one was hidden in a tree covered in poison ivy and the fourth was a Mr. Magneto on an informational sign.

I don't care, because they took me to the cool spots shown in the photos. All are high traffic areas where a micro will outlast a small or regular cache.

So, enjoy your disdain. You are filtering out some way cool spots.

"It seems there is pretty universal disdain for micro park-n-grabs and lampost type caches. I totally agree."

True, so true. :P:):D

Remember the four pictures I posted earlier in the thread, all taken at the sites of micros? All four were "park and grabs." One was a lamp post cache, one was a guardrail cache, one was hidden in a tree covered in poison ivy and the fourth was a Mr. Magneto on an informational sign.

I don't care, because they took me to the cool spots shown in the photos. All are high traffic areas where a micro will outlast a small or regular cache.

I'll take my chances. :mad:<_<:mad:

True, so true. <_<:P:)

I would like those spots too. I am a "spot" type of cacher.

I have not yet seen a post about this (at least in this thread) so I'll post it. Many Micros have taken the place of "locationaless" caches ever since "locationless" died an untimely death. At least that's the purpose of my latest micros. There just ain't any place to hide a "regular" at many of these locations. (Yes, I know about Waymarking, but I don't enjoy them as much as the old way and they are BEASTLY hard to log).

But, everyone should own at least one LPC.

RATTLEBARS

I got turned off to Waymarking but I honestly didn't give it much of a chance. When I have nothing better to do, I'll give it another shot. That should be roughly about the time the Snooglet leaves home for college.... <_< I miss LCs too. :)

I totally agree here. I have been planning to do one as soon as I find a lightpole that is Snooganesque enough. :P

I like geocaches.

I like big geocaches.

I like tiny geocaches.

I like geocaching.

I like girls.

I love my wife.

Baby goats are cute.

I like geocaches.

I like big geocaches.

I like tiny geocaches.

I LOVE 4WD park-n-grabs!

I like geocaching.

I like talking about geocaching.

I LOVE geocaching events.

I like girls.

I LOVE my wife.

Baby goats are cute, but not as cute as baby rhinos.

PerthZooBabyRhinoSml.jpg

two_headed_goat.jpg

Edited by Snoogans
Why?

They are iconic. <_<

Wouldn't YOU do one if you could do it in a unique or at least semi-unique way?

All my caches are on trails. I have never seen a lamp post on a trail. Even if I did an ammo box wouldn't fit. Anyhow, when people say "LPC" I don't think unique is what they mean.
Why?

They are iconic. <_<

All my caches are on trails. I have never seen a lamp post on a trail. Even if I did an ammo box wouldn't fit. Anyhow, when people say "LPC" I don't think unique is what they mean.

Exxxxactly my point.

Wouldn't YOU hide a lamp post cache if you could do it in a unique and interesting way. That is what I have my eye out for.... An LPC that makes you go hmmm? With the help of JoGPS, I have it all planned out. I just haven't found the right light pole.

BTW I've seen lots of lightpoles on trails here in Houston.

Why?

They are iconic. <_<

Exxxxactly my point.

Wouldn't YOU hide a lamp post cache if you could do it in a unique and interesting way. That is what I have my eye out for.... An LPC that makes you go hmmm? With the help of JoGPS, I have it all planned out. I just haven't found the right light pole.

BTW I've seen lots of lightpoles on trails here in Houston.

I just don't hide caches like that. The places I like to hike don't have electricity anywhere near them. They use moonlight. :P Edited by TrailGators

I like some of Waymarking, but I have too much trouble accessing the site. It creates a huge lag on my computer so Ive pretty much given it up except for 2 categories.....

I dont think micros are remotely like Waymarking/ virtual caches. It seems that those locations that used to be virtuals do tend to become micros. If we stopped micros then what would we be left with? Regular caches cant go in some of these areas. Some good locations would be lost.

And a unique LPC? Hmm I may have to consider that one.

I combined 2 cache ideas that Joe gave me. If I lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico, I'd have just the spot. There are several "artsy" bus stops in Santa Fe, with lightpoles that look like trees. Verrrry Snooganesque. :)<_<

Anyhoo, my LPC will be a legit 5-star cache... No disassembly required!

Saxman would know just which specialized tool is required, since he is the one who told me where to find one. :D:P

True, so true. ;):P:P

I was going to say, that "micro haters" who "ignore all micros" are a figment of peoples imagination. But of course Team Cotati is making it hard for me to make that statement. :unsure: Oh well, I'd find those caches referenced by Lep in a second. Assuming I could find them in a second. :o

I combined 2 cache ideas that Joe gave me. If I lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico, I'd have just the spot. There are several "artsy" bus stops in Santa Fe, with lightpoles that look like trees. Verrrry Snooganesque. :unsure::o

Anyhoo, my LPC will be a legit 5-star cache... No disassembly required!

Saxman would know just which specialized tool is required, since he is the one who told me where to find one. ;):P

Well now you've done it lol. I came up with a Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking-esque LPC cache. Just gotta get it all together, tentatively titled LPC Folly. Its a take off of a series I planned for the desert called Sonoran Follies.