Newbie-with questions

ejsully

Ok, I was a total muggle until about a week ago when a friend told me about this game or addiction haha. My GPS is being sent as I type so I can go out on my first hunt to see what it is all like but I did have a few questions about placing caches and such. First question, do caches ever have two parts? Example: If you have a locked box with the log book and goodies inside, but the key is being hidden within 10 ft in a film canister. If it is possible how would you list it and such? (Yes I can tend to be an abstract thinker haha). Hopefully someone here can help the new kid out lol. Thanks.

Ok, I was a total muggle until about a week ago when a friend told me about this game or addiction haha. My GPS is being sent as I type so I can go out on my first hunt to see what it is all like but I did have a few questions about placing caches and such. First question, do caches ever have two parts? Example: If you have a locked box with the log book and goodies inside, but the key is being hidden within 10 ft in a film canister. If it is possible how would you list it and such? (Yes I can tend to be an abstract thinker haha). Hopefully someone here can help the new kid out lol. Thanks.

There are multi-caches where you go to the first part and it holds the coordinates to the second part. BUT, I have never heard of a cache where you have to go to the first one to get a key to unlock the second one! That's brilliant! I like the idea. I've recently taken up welding and have been thinking that I'd like to make the ultimate muggle proof box. That would be awesome to make it a multi where you have to get a key. Hmmmmm...... I'm sure it's been done or thought of before. I've just never seen it in my area.

The answer to your question of a cache having two parts is a YES! That is some of the funnest caches out there. In fact, I have visited 1 cache that I remember off the top of my head that had 10+ stages before going to the final.

And to answer your second question, those type caches would be called "multi-caches"

The following is taken directly from the cache types page that describes all the different types of caches that you will run across when Geocaching:

A multi-cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations, the final location being a physical container. There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has hints to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache.

To place a multi-cache, most of the time the provided coordinates is for the first stage of the cache. (in your case, the film canister with the key in it) You will write the listing like you want it to be displayed to the audience, and then before the reviewer will publish it you will have to include "additional waypoints" for every stage after the first one. That way, the reviewers know where all the stages of your multi are and they can more efficiently enforce the cache saturation guideline.

If any of these terms sounds like jibberish to you, then I suggest doing some homework and getting a feel for how geocaching works, and the terms used, and how to use them.

Here are a couple resources that you might find helpful:

To learn about what the different types of caches are: Cache Types Page

The complete guidelines for listing a cache on geocaching.com: Guideline Page

First question, do caches ever have two parts? Example: If you have a locked box with the log book and goodies inside, but the key is being hidden within 10 ft in a film canister. If it is possible how would you list it and such? (Yes I can tend to be an abstract thinker haha). Hopefully someone here can help the new kid out lol. Thanks.

Yes there are all kinds of cache containers "out there". Whilst visiting my Grandparents, we found a very memorable cache "TB motel on the bay" which was unfortunately muggled a week or 2 after my visit with the Grandparents.

The cache owner went for a new, high-tech version, involving relocation of the cache, and was in a digital safe. It lasted about 12mths later before it was again muggled.

It was thought to be a very high-tech, and secure cache which was on a steel pole and concreted into the ground..... Unfortunately it was no match for the muggles 4x4 which appears to have hit it in the middle of a forrestry area.

See the gallery of pics showing damage

it is sad that some people have nothing better to do with their time!

I would highly suggest that you spend a fair amount of time reading these forums to help you get started. Read the pinned topics at the top of the forum. One of the suggestions you will get from veteran cachers is that you should really FIND around 100 caches or so BEFORE you decide to hide one. This will give you a good overview of different types of cache containers and different types of hides. It can be a great help in avoiding mistakes when placing caches of your own. By finding 100 or so before hiding one of your own you will discover what types of hides are good and you will also discover some that simply stink. Often the ones that are really lousy were placed by new cachers who didn't understand what makes a good hide and what makes a poor hide. I took this advice to heart when I started out and I'm very glad that I did.

Welcome to geocaching. It's a great hobby and can provide a great deal of enjoyement and, depending on the caches you go after, possibly some pretty good exercise as well. You can also discover some really amazing places and things that you might well never have seen if not for being a geocacher. Take your time, learn how things are done and, above all, enjoy yourself.

I would highly suggest that you spend a fair amount of time reading these forums to help you get started. Read the pinned topics at the top of the forum. One of the suggestions you will get from veteran cachers is that you should really FIND around 100 caches or so BEFORE you decide to hide one. This will give you a good overview of different types of cache containers and different types of hides. It can be a great help in avoiding mistakes when placing caches of your own. By finding 100 or so before hiding one of your own you will discover what types of hides are good and you will also discover some that simply stink. Often the ones that are really lousy were placed by new cachers who didn't understand what makes a good hide and what makes a poor hide. I took this advice to heart when I started out and I'm very glad that I did.

Welcome to geocaching. It's a great hobby and can provide a great deal of enjoyement and, depending on the caches you go after, possibly some pretty good exercise as well. You can also discover some really amazing places and things that you might well never have seen if not for being a geocacher. Take your time, learn how things are done and, above all, enjoy yourself.

Hello, I am new to Geocaching. While my wife and I were hiking in Pisgah National Forest, looking for wildlife, I saw an ammo box. Being curious, I opened it only to become aware of Geocaching which was previously unknown to us. Fascinated by the enterprise, we were hooked on the sport as we love being out in the wilderness. We only had our hiking staffs, backpacks, etc, so we left $2.00 for someone to get a cup of coffee. After reading the guidelines, I wasn't able to tell if we committed an infraction of acceptable behavior. As we want to become responsible participants in this sport, any feedback would be appreciated.

BIOA

I commend you for being the good sport and replacing the cache and even leaving something behind. Now that you have found one,even if it was accidental you are in for a great amount of pleasure. Geocaching will bring you to many beautiful places that if it were not for geocaching you probably wouldn't have visited them. Good luck on your first find and now the fun will begin. Happy Caching Haffy

I commend you for being the good sport and replacing the cache and even leaving something behind. Now that you have found one,even if it was accidental you are in for a great amount of pleasure. Geocaching will bring you to many beautiful places that if it were not for geocaching you probably wouldn't have visited them. Good luck on your first find and now the fun will begin. Happy Caching Haffy

I actually found two that same day. The second was about 100 yds past the first. It was in a small round plastic container from some product and was in a hollow stump that caught my interest. When I looked inside it, I was at first disappointed that someone would dispose of trash on a National Forest trail. when I opened it I was surprised to find a second cache. This one just had a sign-in sheet. So we wrote our names, left a pen as there was only an old pencil and then continued our four hour hike along the Pilot Rock trail and returned on the Laurel Mountain trail. What a beautiful hike!

BIOA