starved rock

sy212

There have been a few caches at Starved Rock in the past, but there doesn't seem to have been any placed since the DNR published their guidelines for geocaching.

Check out the link and contact the park manager. It can't hurt to ask.

Wow, the rules seem to be a bit restrictive, no? Who's going to travel to Starved Rock every 30 days to "check" on their GeoCache and then report to the IDNR that they checked it? And it HAS to be a clear container? Kinda takes some of the fun out of a good hide, eh?

I like the mandated list of things they want to even consider it, too. :D

Sounds like the fun suckers are in full force at the IDNR. :anitongue: That would be a good reason why there aren't many/any GCs at Starved Rock State Park. :laughing:

Too bad, too. I can't think of too many better places to enjoy a day of caching in this area.

There have been a few caches at Starved Rock in the past, but there doesn't seem to have been any placed since the DNR published their guidelines for geocaching.

Check out the link and contact the park manager. It can't hurt to ask.

Wow, the rules seem to be a bit restrictive, no? Who's going to travel to Starved Rock every 30 days to "check" on their GeoCache and then report to the IDNR that they checked it? And it HAS to be a clear container? Kinda takes some of the fun out of a good hide, eh?

I like the mandated list of things they want to even consider it, too. :laughing:

Sounds like the fun suckers are in full force at the IDNR. :D That would be a good reason why there aren't many/any GCs at Starved Rock State Park. :anitongue:

Too bad, too. I can't think of too many better places to enjoy a day of caching in this area.

The IDNR rules aren't really all that restrictive. They compliment the geocaching.com guidelines well (re: the list of items allowed in caches) and address some issues that the DNR was concerned about. As for clear containers, sure ammo boxes are fun, but I've had a lock n' lock in a state park just up the road for several years now. It's held up just fine.

Like I said, it can't hurt to ask. The state park I work with hasn't required me contact them every 30 days, but that's probably because I've built a good relationship with them.

At the very least they're much better than before the guidelines when we weren't allowed to place caches at all.

...The IDNR rules aren't really all that restrictive....

They are straight forward and restrictive in that any cache can be rejected since no cache can honestly meet the critera except one sitting in the middle of a parking lot.

Huh...then how do you explain that we actually do have caches in State Parks in Illinois?

Over the years I have become quite familiar with local and state geocaching policies, and have had a hand in a few myself. The IDNR (Illinois not Indiana) listed above does not seem too restrictive.

Indiana's has a provision for checking on the status every 30 days, but this is through the online logs. Actual physical inspection of cache is required every 6 months.

Over the years I have become quite familiar with local and state geocaching policies, and have had a hand in a few myself. The IDNR (Illinois not Indiana) listed above does not seem too restrictive.

Indiana's has a provision for checking on the status every 30 days, but this is through the online logs. Actual physical inspection of cache is required every 6 months.

Actually, online logs have worked just fine for my communication with the park manager too. He's a busy guy, he doesn't need me buggin' him every 30 days.

I've talked to several state park managers where there are caches in their parks. They've all been very receptive to having caches placed in "their" particular state park. They've all said they hoped caches bring in visitors to their particular park. A lot of visitors is a really good thing for a state park manager and the subsequent support they get from IDNR. Quite a few of the caches have been in ammo cans or other non-clear containers. As long as the particular state park manager OKs the container then that's all that really matters. State park managers wield quite a bit of power in their own domain.

Edited by Wadcutter

...The IDNR rules aren't really all that restrictive....

They are straight forward and restrictive in that any cache can be rejected since no cache can honestly meet the critera except one sitting in the middle of a parking lot.

Huh...then how do you explain that we actually do have caches in State Parks in Illinois?

Same reason there are caches on NPS lands.

There are people who understand the spirit and intent of the rules and enforce that but not the letter.

In the case of Starved Rock the no disturbance rule is very clear in what it says and that would rule out most caches if enforced exactly as written. It's a case of the person who wrote that knowing what they were trying to say, but not having an easy way to say it that made it clear.

Down the road if another person is in charge of caches they may take the literal view.