Caching looks suspicious..

furglasses

Ok,

Now that I have done a few caches, Im begginning to see how addictive... how does everyone feel about caching in public, by peoples houses, or thr road. Very fun and inncoent game but I feel so suspect when people see me off trails wondering in circles...lol has anyone every been approached or had any confrentations with this?

let me know furglasses :D

Ok,

Now that I have done a few caches, Im begginning to see how addictive... how does everyone feel about caching in public, by peoples houses, or thr road. Very fun and inncoent game but I feel so suspect when people see me off trails wondering in circles...lol has anyone every been approached or had any confrentations with this?

let me know furglasses :D

We are fine with it, we often cache near houses, shops, in carparks etc etc. We have had a few strange looks at times but we just ignore them and go about our business of caching.

We watch for muggles, and we dont show muggles the location of the cache, its all about keeping our little magical world away from the non-magicals (muggles).

Sometimes when we have been in a weird spot and had muggles near us, we have just pretended we were looking around for something that we "dropped", it was hard at first to train the tribe of ducklings to "keep stool", and not be shouting out things like "ive found the cache" or "are we close to the cache yet Dad".....

Its something that at times, we find can be a sneaky sport, with plenty of concealment from the surrounding public.

Enjoy!

Ok,

let me know furglasses :anitongue:

I know how you feel. Last night I was snooping around a bush with a flashlight in a city park with my son. Then later last night, we were at a Whataburger looking for a cache behind the restaurant. It was tough because Whatamuggles kept coming through the drive through. There was a big concrete slab back there with a pipe sticking out. I pulled on the pipe and it came out about 6 inches but was really heavy. I let go and I don't know what was going on down there with the plumbing, but I got blasted with nasty water. The thing erupted like a geyser for a good 30 seconds right as some more Whatamuggles came around the corner at the drive thru looking at me like I was some sort of idiot. My wife and kids sure got a kick out of it though. We high tailed it out of there. I'll go back for the cache tomorrow. :D

lol, thats hilarious. Im glad its just not me.. then again it is just me. I cant seem to find anyone to cache with. Caching by myself is exciting but its always funner doing things with people as weird as I sound.

I like to cache with somebody else too. My 9 year old son is ALWAYS willing to go. My wife is too usually. My daughter is only a year old. She doesn't care. But she will soon. :D

lol, thats hilarious. Im glad its just not me.. then again it is just me. I cant seem to find anyone to cache with. Caching by myself is exciting but its always funner doing things with people as weird as I sound.

I like to cache with somebody else too. My 9 year old son is ALWAYS willing to go. My wife is too usually. My daughter is only a year old. She doesn't care. But she will soon. :anitongue:

Me too and so do a lot of people. We started a thread in our local forum to post caching plans. People are always free to join up. I've met a lot of cool people since we've been doing this. :D

Oh yeah, I've been approached a couple times. We were approached last night as we were doing a park and grab on a grocery store lamp post skirt. I usually let my son jump out, lift the skirt and get the cache. But this one was being stubborn so I got out. It was really tight on the pole. It made a terrible shrieking noise when I pulled it up. We jumped back in the car to sign the cache notepad. We were looking at it for a couple minutes when I looked up and there was a guy standing there. Turns out, it was Mr. "I'm out of gas and need money to get home" muggles guy. He was driving a brand new Jeep Cherokee too. :anitongue: We're in an old Cavalier. Anyways, I don't know if he was really out of gas or not. I gave him my Where's George dollar that I pulled out of a cache a couple days prior. I figured I did the right thing by helping him out. If he uses it to buy booze, then he's the one who is going to burn in hell and not me. Anyways, he left and I don't think he knew what we were up to. I jumped out, lifted the shrieking light pole skirt and put the cache back and we were gone in a flash. :D

I have been approached bunches of times...if I kept count, I would have lost count LONG AGO. Most people give you a very wierd look like, well...you aren't doing any harm, but this really sounds like a stupid hobby. So they leave you alone.

I have been approached my law enforcement several times as well. And as long as you are honest with them about what you are doing in the bushes, then no problems will be had. Since Geocaching is not an illegal hobby, if you are doing it legally then the police have no problem with it. Heck, I think I have even got some of the police boys interested in this 'lil sport around my neck of the woods.

I've been asked if I was recording bird songs, if I was a botanical researcher, and a few other questions. One person asked if I was doing that "GPS game thing" they had heard about. I've also been approached by law enforcement on 4 different occasions. Once with two cars, three officers, and a LOT of lights! Since I'm not breaking any laws it really doesn't worry me at all. I simply explained what I was doing and the officers were quite nice about it. The time with the two cars and three officers was around 10:30 PM and they were just happy they didn't have to do a bunch of paperwork for a burglar or something. They continued on their way to the donut shop half a block away. :D

The only thing that really bothers me is dogs. I hate freaking dogs that go nuts and bark their stupid heads off when I'm minding my own business caching. When that happens I leave.

I just use common sense. I don't go to caches near schools while they are in class. Who know's what kind of trouble that would cause. I also "now" stay away from banks during open hours.

I had one the other day that was between a restaurant and bank. I parked my car and saw the teller looking at me through the drive through window. Then a restaurant worker came out because they thought I was going to eat. Just felt odd so I took off. That cache will be a early Sunday hunt when both business are closed.

On urban caches I just pretend I'm suppose to be looking around that lamp post or whatever. <_< Seems to work good for me. Have fun!

Ok,

let me know furglasses <_<

just feel exposed, but I don't feel suspicious since I'm geocaching which is harmless. However since I don't like feeling exposed while looking for a cache I tend to avoid those caches or give up the search quickly.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Ok,

let me know furglasses <_<

Yes, we have been approached several times by mugglers. Once, by police, when we were nearby a laundromat that had been robbed and it was night time. Guess we didn't look like bad guys, because he asked us to leave the area, no problems. We have also come across people who we have said we were doing official mapping (ha ha) they bought it. We have also had people come with us and learn to geochache, we hooked them. Don't be afraid.

...how does everyone feel about caching in public, by peoples houses, or thr road.

Don't like it so I usually don't do it. I'm not in this to play some pseudo secret agent game.

Just another voice, I am very uncomfortable caching in front of the general public, and even more so when, as mentioned "by peoples houses". What, these people have been living there without incident for decades in many cases, then suddenly one day, a bunch of strangers are going to get out of their cars and start acting like weirdos across the street? No thanks, I totally avoid any such caches.

There are plenty of others who share this opinion, but they're unlikely to see it here in the Getting started "beginners" forum. :P Anyways, welcome to geocaching, and if you find you're not having fun looking for a cache, just beat feet out of there. <_<

lol, the only time I have been approached was when I was with my grandma, mom, and seven year old daughter. It was at a park and the cache was hidden inside of a fence that went around some parking lot and the security gaurd from the parking lot came over to us and started asking us a bunch of questions and we had to tell him what we are up to but he did not seem all that bright and looking for "hidden treasures all over the city that no one else knows about with satellite coordinants" apparently didnt sound convincing to him so we just took off.... I mean come on, four generations of woman in a park looks THAT suspicious???

lol, the only time I have been approached was when I was with my grandma, mom, and seven year old daughter. It was at a park and the cache was hidden inside of a fence that went around some parking lot and the security gaurd from the parking lot came over to us and started asking us a bunch of questions and we had to tell him what we are up to but he did not seem all that bright and looking for "hidden treasures all over the city that no one else knows about with satellite coordinants" apparently didnt sound convincing to him so we just took off.... I mean come on, four generations of woman in a park looks THAT suspicious???

I think that is the funniest thing ever!

We had a similar situation this past weekend. We were out caching on a Sunday afternoon in the business district of a local city. We were walking around a field and dumpster near a opening soon restaurant looking for a cache and it turned out to be one of the lite poles but the container was velcroed to the top of the lid so our first inspection we didn't notice it because we casually just lifted it and it made a major shrieking noise that anyone on the streets stopped to stare. so we dropped it and began to look else were. So as we wandered around for about another 5 minutes or so a black Lincoln navigator pulled up next to me asking "Can I help you with something?" First thing that came to mind was "I lost my keys" which in turn raised his eyebrow considering i was looking up loose bricks and in fence posts. He hesitated for a moment the decided to just leave. Luckily we found the cache within a moment of him leaving because we think he might have be on his way to the police station that was less then a block away. Oh well found the cache and moved on to another one.

But havent had any run in with johnny law but i tend to try to keep the geocaching brochure with me just incase .

Other then that no major muggle run ins.

It depends if it's a muggle that can ruin the cache, if it's an LEO and my current mood. Sometimes I've told the entire story, other times we are on a "treasure hunt" or a "scavenger hunt". If I'm in a cranky mood, then my response is "nothing, why?"

We've run into LEO's twice, I think, in 16 months and 640 finds. I've told them what's up and they are fine with it. One of them went on to tell my 13-year-old son how good the map reading skills he was learning would help him if he decided to become an LEO!

It depends if it's a muggle that can ruin the cache, if it's an LEO and my current mood. Sometimes I've told the entire story, other times we are on a "treasure hunt" or a "scavenger hunt". If I'm in a cranky mood, then my response is "nothing, why?"

We've run into LEO's twice, I think, in 16 months and 640 finds. I've told them what's up and they are fine with it. One of them went on to tell my 13-year-old son how good the map reading skills he was learning would help him if he decided to become an LEO!

Pardon my ignorance but whats a LEO? Nevermind I figured it out....I havent had a LEO incident yet.

Edited by IANNA