Urban Micro Lovers

aselv

I personally like urban micros Now before you go ape crazy on me let me talk :laughing:

1 they are a very nice way to start off

2 i am highly allergic to poison ivy :laughing:

3 you get to see statues and monuments

4 good way to show someone caching simply

5 PARKING (most of the time)

6 the containers can be very unique

7 I know its not tabout the numbers but they are a great way to get numbers

8 Less chance of mosquitoes, poison ivy, sumac, bees, and all the "joys" of nature

9 they can spark creativity for someone By that i mean a good cacher will look harder for a place to put them

10 If you get a DNF it is not as big of a deal

11 if you get injured its SAFER

Now i like going into nature too, and I HATE lpc's (lamp post caches). If you dont like urban micros dont look for them.

please comment below

Well to each his/her own I guess. I prefer the hikes in the bush but my wife likes the in town micro's. Nice that we have the variety there to choose from. Just a small part of what makes the game of geocaching so much fun. Enjoy your micro's and thanks for posting. :laughing:

I like urban micros, too. Of course, I like all kinds of caches and don't deliberately avoid much of anything except perhaps multis when I'm traveling and multis of undisclosed numbers of stages in general (just in case I'm not having fun... I want to know there is an end in sight, or know the end is so far away that it's worth bailing mid-multi anyway).

It's pretty easy to avoid any cache I don't want to do.

I read the cache name--if I don't feel like another lamp post cache in a parking lot, and it says something like Kay's Brother, Wally's Sister, Another Little LPC, Magic Mart Row 14, or something else that implies a cache under a lamp post, then...

I read the cache page. Well, at least I skim it.

And I look at the maps. If there is a big box store, or a strip mall in the location, they'll show up on the maps.

I've only been "fooled" once. The cache was in an unfamiliar town, a place just full of historic spots and odd memorials tucked here and there. The cache had a name that suggested some quirky memorial was there. We realized, only after we were parked there, that the memorial was to a now-defunct big box store. Since we were already there, and we needed a second to check out the next closest cache on the PDA anyway, we went ahead and logged it. It was relatively quick and painless, even if it wasn't all that exciting. I suppose that if it had outraged me, I would have simply passed on logging the thing--but I tend not to let caches get my knickers in knots and I'm not offended by the rare cache that doesn't rock my world.

Urban micros in the woods. Now there's a novel idea. :D:anibad::laughing:

And oh BTW, all micros suck. Urban micros suck more. They are out of control and are an embarrassment to the game and its players. :laughing::anibad::anibad:

I'm just waiting for someone to take a crack vile, glue a magnet to it, and then nail a flat piece of steel to the inside hollow of a tree deep in the woods and then stick the vile to the plate. Now that's a real gem of an idea! :anitongue:

Ignore the fact that the hollow in the tree could hold a large ammo can. :anibad:

Moonie

I personally like urban micros

Now before you go ape crazy on me let me talk :D

1 they are a very nice way to start off

2 i am highly allergic to poison ivy :laughing:

3 you get to see statues and monuments

4 good way to show someone caching simply

5 PARKING (most of the time)

6 the containers can be very unique

7 I know its not tabout the numbers but they are a great way to get numbers

8 Less chance of mosquitoes, poison ivy, sumac, bees, and all the "joys" of nature

9 they can spark creativity for someone By that i mean a good cacher will look harder for a place to put them

10 If you get a DNF it is not as big of a deal

11 if you get injured its SAFER

Now i like going into nature too, and I HATE lpc's (lamp post caches). If you dont like urban micros dont look for them.

please comment below

That's basically how I feel except I really appreciate when people supersize their caches. :anitongue:

Urban micros in the woods. Now there's a novel idea. <_<:P:mad:

And oh BTW, all micros suck. Urban micros suck more. They are out of control and are an embarrassment to the game and its players. :D:):mad:

Well you know you can at least write a reason as to why you hate them instead of whining to the internet

I totally agree about lpc's sucking. Found one today that just really took the cake. It was a refrigerator magnet with a small homemade log glued to the back of it and stuck to the underside of a lamppost mounting bracket - no container just a refrigerator magnet stuck underneath the cover. It wouldn't have been bad if it had been in an historical area or near a park or something like that. However, it was in a parking lot - right in the dead center of the parking lot - might as well have had a big flashing sign that said "LPC hidden here!!" When we were 250 feet away my 5 year old said "Dad I bet its under the lamppost cover"

Just my $.02 worth but maybe there should be a category of cache types specifically for LPC's.

I totally agree about lpc's sucking. Found one today that just really took the cake. It was a refrigerator magnet with a small homemade log glued to the back of it and stuck to the underside of a lamppost mounting bracket - no container just a refrigerator magnet stuck underneath the cover. It wouldn't have been bad if it had been in an historical area or near a park or something like that. However, it was in a parking lot - right in the dead center of the parking lot - might as well have had a big flashing sign that said "LPC hidden here!!" When we were 250 feet away my 5 year old said "Dad I bet its under the lamppost cover"

Just my $.02 worth but maybe there should be a category of cache types specifically for LPC's.

WOW

that is a good idea

seriously you should tell Groundspeak that

I cache for the challenge, not for the McToys. Give me a well disguised, clever urban micro over a 30 cal ammo can any day. On the other hand, hide a micro in the woods and you've made the top of my s--- list. Don't get me wrong, we've found many well disguised and hidden ammo cans, but overall - for the challenge - give me an urban micro anyday.

WOW

that is a good idea

seriously you should tell Groundspeak that

I just add LPCs to my ignore list when I run across one now. But I try hard not to run across them because they are a big zero on my funmeter.

>1. they are a very nice way to start off

I agree. I was disappointed, upon starting, that there weren't many urbans near my mother. She refuses to go too far off-trail to find, so I was often caching alone with her sitting on a nearby bench.

>9. they can spark creativity for someone By that i mean a good cacher will look harder for a place to put them

I enjoy finding urban caches though I've found that I enjoy hiding them more. I think of myself as a creative person, and I enjoy the challenge. My seven-year-old enjoys the finding more than the hiding, but will tolerate my hiding as long as he can play on the playground equipment. He does enjoy collaborating with my hides when he climbs on my shoulders to place a terrain of 4. He's eagerly awaits logs on those that he helped to place.

> 10. If you get a DNF it is not as big of a deal

Can't say that I agree with you there. Some DNF'ers are infuriated that they can't find the micro on the playground. I'm always happy to give a hint to guys who feel awkward "playing" in the sand or crawling under a slide. I think they think the urbans are somehow easier, however, hiding them on playgrounds is actually more difficult because if I put them in the "wrong" spot they WILL get muggled.

> 11. if you get injured its SAFER

How? You're closer to first aid, sure. But someone said they found a used syringe near one of my caches recently. I don't think you can get HIV as easily out in the woods.

I also think they are great for handicapped people - more easy access. I do enjoy them also when they bring me to interesting places, but after awhile - I get a cravin' for a ammo can too. The only ones I really don't like are guardrail hides, one street after another, yech... Nice that we can mix it up a bit!

Edited by lonesumdove
I also think they are great for handicapped people - more easy access. I do enjoy them also when they bring me to interesting places, but after awhile - I get a cravin' for a ammo can too. The only ones I really don't like are guardrail hides, one street after another, yech... Nice that we can mix it up a bit!
I agree that there are multitudes of caches available for handicapped people which is a good thing. I also agree about guardrails, but do you thing lamp posts are better? One parking lot after another....I also think the handicapped people would appreciate mixing it up a bit. Variety makes it more fun! :mad:

I love the fact that urban micros exist, so that I can look for them when I'm in the mood for that type of search. I love that I can take a hike in the woods to find a cache when I am looking for that experience.

I appreciate the ones that are placed with a little more thought, but sometimes you just want to find something. Other times my standards might be a bit higher and I won't even stop if I don't like the looks of the area.

And sometimes I'll stop, look, struggle, stop having fun and leave. That's why we have the DNF option. But that discussion is for another thread.

I'm just waiting for someone to take a crack vile, glue a magnet to it, and then nail a flat piece of steel to the inside hollow of a tree deep in the woods and then stick the vile to the plate. Now that's a real gem of an idea! :mad:

Yeah, but you do know that it would violate the guidelines, since they prohibit defacing an object (nailing into a tree) to hide a cache. <_<:mad:

I agree that there are multitudes of caches available for handicapped people which is a good thing. I also agree about guardrails, but do you thing lamp posts are better? One parking lot after another....I also think the handicapped people would appreciate mixing it up a bit. Variety makes it more fun! :mad:

Nah, I don't care much for lamposts either, although I have done them. We don't have many around here, fortunately. Majority of the lame micros that I have seen have been on guardrails. Others are usually pretty creative and done well to draw your attention to places where a large ammo box or piece of tupperware would not work. I guess the key is that it should be someplace interesting, not a WallyWorld parking lot, but ya can't weed those out of the PQ yet until you drive there so until they figure out a way as long as I am there I grab them anyways....

Luckily, geocaching is a game that lets everyone decide what the next cache will be. That way if you want to 'mix it up' you can.
So if you want to make it less fun by not hiding a variety of caches, you can! :mad:
Huh? The variety is what makes it fun, in my opinion.
That went over your head.... :mad:

I agree that if people DO "mix it up" then they WILL make caching more FUN! <_<

Edited by TrailGators
Luckily, geocaching is a game that lets everyone decide what the next cache will be. That way if you want to 'mix it up' you can.
So if you want to make it less fun by not hiding a variety of caches, you can! :mad:

I agree that if people DO "mix it up" then they WILL make caching more FUN! <_<

Ummm, that was the point of the post to which you responded.

So if you want to make it less fun by not hiding a variety of caches, you can! <_<

I agree that if people DO "mix it up" then they WILL make caching more FUN! :huh:

Your two alternatives are "want to mix it up" or conversely "don't want to mix it up." All I did was state the converse of what you said. It sounds a bit odd doesn't it? That was my point. Why would someone "not want to mix it up" to make it more fun? :mad:

There are good urban micros and bad urban micros so I can't make any general comment on how I feel about urban micros in general.

1) Take me to a nice place where I can hunt without attracting attention and I'm happy. Stick a micro next to a smelly dumpster and I'll say "No thanks." Actually, I won't add the "thanks" I'll just say "No."

2) Properly describe your cache on the cache page so I know what I am getting into before I get there and I am happy. List your cache as "I noticed there were no caches within 161m so I hid one." and forget to tell me it's a nano stuck to an electrical box outside a drive-thru window and I'm not so happy.

So if you want to make it less fun by not hiding a variety of caches, you can! ;)

I agree that if people DO "mix it up" then they WILL make caching more FUN! :)

Your two alternatives are "want to mix it up" or conversely "don't want to mix it up." All I did was state the converse of what you said. It sounds a bit odd doesn't it? That was my point. Why would someone "not want to mix it up" to make it more fun? :huh:

Except that when TrailGators first posted that "Variety makes it more fun."3114265[/snapback], my initial reaction was "Let's ban some types of caches so there will more variety" :mad: . But then I remembered that TrailGators doesn't want to ban anything. Perhaps his comment was to complain that some people hid nothing by LPCs and guardrails. <_< I think sbell111 has stated before that when people hide the kinds of caches they enjoy finding you get a a nice mix of caches. Those that enjoy urban micros will continue to hide them. And if some people really enjoy LPCs they may hide nothing but those. But other people will start to find LPCs too boring and predictable so they'll start hiding something else. You'll never get the mix that satisfies everyone, but you can be happy to know there is always a mix of caches to find.

think sbell111 has stated before that when people hide the kinds of caches they enjoy finding you get a a nice mix of caches.
If this were true then why are so many different people say this is not what they are seeing? Are they all wrong?

I think one reason that this hypothesis is false is because people that enjoy LPCs/Guardrails can hide hundreds of these in the same amount time that it takes for others to hide a much smaller quantity well-thought out caches that they enjoy.

Edited by TrailGators
think sbell111 has stated before that when people hide the kinds of caches they enjoy finding you get a a nice mix of caches.
If this were true then why are so many different people say this is not what they are seeing? Are they all wrong?
I think it is because people tend to report their skewed perception of the world around them, not the reality of the situation.
I think one reason that this hypothesis is false is because people that enjoy LPCs/Guardrails can hide hundreds of these in the same amount time that it takes for others to hide a much smaller quantity well-thought out caches that they enjoy.
Similarly, people hide few high terrain caches. Luckily, people who like finding LPCs can find many in a day, while people who like high terrain caches can only find a few a week. It all works out to give everyone what they want.
I think it is because people tend to report their skewed perception of the world around them, not the reality of the situation.
Similarly, people hide few high terrain caches. Luckily, people who like finding LPCs can find many in a day, while people who like high terrain caches can only find a few a week. It all works out to give everyone what they want.

Your second statement contradicts your first statement. :D

Your second statement contradicts your first statement. ;)

Again it's a matter of perception. If you like hiking caches you can go hiking all day and find just one or two cache and be happy. If you like urban caches (especially if you like park and grabs) you'll probably want to plan out a caching route that takes you to 50 or more caches in a day. Even if you're not a power cacher you probably prefer a cache that is close by rather than spending an hour driving to a cache. There are more urban caches because there is a higher demand. It may also be that there are more easy, not very creative, urban caches because there is a demand for them from cachers that want five or 10 easy finds instead of one that is a higher difficulty. As I said in my post above, the mix of caches wont satisfy everyone but you'll always have some caches that you enjoy for you to find no matter how many of the other caches are out there.

Your second statement contradicts your first statement. :ph34r:

Again it's a matter of perception. If you like hiking caches you can go hiking all day and find just one or two cache and be happy. If you like urban caches (especially if you like park and grabs) you'll probably want to plan out a caching route that takes you to 50 or more caches in a day. Even if you're not a power cacher you probably prefer a cache that is close by rather than spending an hour driving to a cache. There are more urban caches because there is a higher demand. It may also be that there are more easy, not very creative, urban caches because there is a demand for them from cachers that want five or 10 easy finds instead of one that is a higher difficulty. As I said in my post above, the mix of caches wont satisfy everyone but you'll always have some caches that you enjoy for you to find no matter how many of the other caches are out there.
I was talking about urban caches. It takes time to hide better ones with well done cammo, etc. Look at the ones in your area. Variety takes a little more time and planning. On the other hand, it takes seconds to toss a film cannister under a lamp post when you are already at the store. So my point was that if LP people hide what they like there will be a heck of a lot more LPCs just because of difference in time of preparation. So those kinds of caches will dominate and there won't be a balance like Sbell's theory states. ;) Edited by TrailGators

Your second statement contradicts your first statement. ;)

No, it doesn't.

My first statement spoke to your argument that 'many different people say' that there isn't a mix of caches. Since we can easily disprove this assertion, we are left with the idea that their perception may be skewed.

My second statement spoke to the argument that there are more LPCs than 'good' caches. My position on this is basically, 'So what?' Of course, that's only if you buy into your argument that LPCs are running other caches out of town, which has been disproved on many occasions.

... Look at the ones in your area. Variety takes a little more time and planning. On the other hand, it takes seconds to toss a film cannister under a lamp post when you are already at the store. So my point was that if LP people hide what they like there will be a heck of a lot more LPCs just because of difference in time of preparation. So those kinds of caches will dominate and there won't be a balance like Sbell's theory states. ;)
In the many areas that I've cached in, I haven't seen the scenario that you describe. As a visitor, I very typically stick to relatively easy urban caches. I tend to find a very nice balance of hides. I'm rarely disappointed. Of course, I don't set myself up for disappointment, either.

I think that my sig line says it best...

I will spell out my point. The randomness theory (equal distribution of cache types) is only true for types of caches that take the same amount of effort to hide. There is another theory which states that things tend to go to the lowest energy state (easier to hide). Therefore, if you truly want more variety then it will take more effort to achieve that. ;)

Edited by TrailGators