WWFM Event caches

AV Dezign

Mine has been published for Montreal

GC16JEZ - WWFM - Montreal Flash Event Mondial

Anybody else here creating one?

It's quite simple, all the caches will be at the same time (9 am BC, 12 noon Quebec) across the world on November 10th and will only last for 15 minutes.

Here is the ever increasing list of flash events around the world

This guy (GC16ENW) has a pretty good description of the event has it unravels in the short time.

Sounds like something fun and different to me. Hopefully we'll see some more in Canada and hopefully one in my area. I think it would be cool if the various provincial\local organizations organized several of these multi location events. I like the idea of someone video taping the events too.

Of course not all events are for everyone, but I am sure many would enjoy these as it's something unique...atleast I have never heard of a mob event before the one that was in Ottawa a couple months ago, so once again I have learned something through geocaching.

Edited by res2100

Why? Why would you want to go to a cache event for only 15m? Whats the point besides getting another cache to your list? I like full length cache events that you can get to know people.

The idea is to do this in a very public area, and get people to ask questions about what is happening, and then we tell them about geocaching. We will be handing out pamphlets to those who want more info. The geocachers will still meet afterwards in another location to continue talking and stuff but not at point zero we leave that place in confusion. :D

So no it's not about the numbers, it's about thinking outside the box and having fun doing it. :anitongue:

Edited by AV Dezign

Here are all the Canadian flash mobs... well, Quebec and Ontario that is... WHERE IS THE REST OF CANADA???? :)

WWFM - Gatineau Flash Event Mondial

by The red-haired witch, Cron & Valpin

GC16TEB

Quebec

WWFM - Montreal Flash Event Mondial

by AV Dezign, Turbeau, PengoFamily et Galaad

GC16JEZ

Quebec

WWFM - Ville de Québec Canada

by cablevision

GC16QQG

Quebec

WWFM Basses-Laurentides - Événement Flash (£57)

by Landbehrt

GC16Q0B

Quebec

Kingston’s 15 min. of Fame! - WWFM

by hypocorism

GC16MFF

Ontario

Quadeville’s 15 min. of Fame! - WWFM

by model12 & Aldy

GC16WKX

Ontario

WWFM Georgetown - Farther Down the Rabbit Hole

by res2100

GC16XHP

Ontario

Here is the full list of Canadian Flash Events for Nov 10th, please attend the one near you. :D

WWFM GC16JEZ - Quebec

WWFM - Montreal Flash Event Mondial by AV Dezign, Turbeau, PengoFamily et Galaad

WWFM GC16MFF - Ontario

Kingston’s 15 min. of Fame! - WWFM by hypocorism

WWFM GC16WKX - Ontario

Quadeville’s 15 min. of Fame! - WWFM by model12 & Aldy

WWFM GC16YYC - Nova Scotia

Sydney Nova Scotia WWFM Challenge by stagunner

WWWFM GC16X4D - Alberta

WWFM - Calgary by GeoKs and Sears Tower

WWFM GC16TEB - Quebec

WWFM - Gatineau Flash Event Mondial by The red-haired witch, Cron & Valpin

WWFM GC16YRX - Newfoundland and Labrador

WWFM - Labrador's First Flash Cache! by ArcticNomad & Avalanche

WWFM GC16Z5A - British Columbia

WWFM - Mile Zero Flash Mob by Landsharkz

WWFM GC16ZA5 - New Brunswick

WWFM - South Eastern New Brunswick by paulandstacey

WWFM GC16QQG - Quebec

WWFM - Ville de Québec by cablevision

WWFM GC16Q0B - Quebec

WWFM Basses-Laurentides - Événement Flash (£57) by Landbehrt

WWFM GC16XHP - Ontario

WWFM Georgetown - Farther Down the Rabbit Hole by res2100

WWFM GC16YPZ - Nova Scotia

WWFM- Halifax Flash Event by Pushing Tin

WWFM GC16Z8A - Newfoundland and Labrador

WWFM- St. John's First Flash Cache Event by Piglet1

Event listing guidelines

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a full weekend event that includes a geocoin trading session, a seminar and a potluck dinner, multiple event listings may be submitted if they each stand on their own merits as events meeting the listing guidelines.

Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans. Events are generally published no more than three months prior to the date of the event, to avoid having the listing appear for a prolonged period of time on the nearest caches page and in the weekly e-mail notification of new caches. Exceptions are sometimes made for events that are designed to attract a regional, national or international group of geocachers, or if an overnight stay is expected as part of the event, requiring advance reservations and travel planning (for example, a campout). Contact your reviewer if you wish to set up such an event, which may be published up to six months prior to the event date.

After the event has passed, the event cache should be archived by the organizer within four weeks.

Edited by Cache-tech

What was the deadline? I looked for one and asked about one and was told there wasn't a deadline. Does that mean I can't try to do one in my area now?

I really wanted to one one on the west coast of Newfoundland.

Guiderchachi

As CT said above, the deadline for Event caches is two weeks before the event is scheduled to occur. But hey, there will always be next year! B)

There were 20 Flash events in 2006, 74 in 2007, next year? 200 for 2008? Only time will tell. In the meantime, you can come to the closest one near you and join in the fun.

As CT said above, the deadline for Event caches is two weeks before the event is scheduled to occur. But hey, there will always be next year! :rolleyes:

There were 20 Flash events in 2006, 74 in 2007, next year? 200 for 2008? Only time will tell. In the meantime, you can come to the closest one near you and join in the fun.

Thank you for the responses but the closest event to me is 700km away from me. That is why I wanted to host one here.

Guiderchachi

As CT said above, the deadline for Event caches is two weeks before the event is scheduled to occur. But hey, there will always be next year! :rolleyes:

Thank you for the responses but the closest event to me is 700km away from me. That is why I wanted to host one here.

Guiderchachi

well here is what you can do to be notified early for next year:

Send an email to:

iTrax and FoxTail and tell them you would have like to host an WWFM but you are too late but could they please notify you in advance next year.

Yeah, I'm noticing that the 2 weeks thing is not really a rule but just a guideline :( that reviewers may or may not apply since we are now at 81 WWFM some have been approved 12 days in. :)

Sorry guiderchachi, you should have tried getting yours done, it could have been approved. :(

Edited by AV Dezign

Yeah, I'm noticing that the 2 weeks thing is not really a rule but just a guideline :) that reviewers may or may not apply since we are now at 81 WWFM some have been approved 12 days in. :(

Sorry guiderchachi, you should have tried getting yours done, it could have been approved. :(

That's okay. Who knows, I may still try if I can get into town to get the coords for where I want to hold it. My biggest fear is that I will be all alone in a field with a bucket! :D There has never been an event here.

Guiderchachi

Is that Wyatt the K9 in the front row? He's the only one I can put a name to! :blink:

There were a lot on newbies at my event, people that nobody had seen before, and a lot of questions about who's who came along. So I turned it into a game on the Quebec forum. Who ARE these PEOPLE?

WWFMIdentification.jpg

:blink:

So yep Landsharkz, 46, 47 and 48 is Laval K-9 and their huge German Sheppard "Wyatt Earp"

Edited by AV Dezign

Hey AV, how do you do those outlines of all of the people? I would like to do a similar thing with one of our group photos.

Here's a group photo from our WWFM Georgetown - Farther Down the Rabbit Hole (GC16XHP) event. Thanks to northernpenguin for the picture. The event was a huge success and our current count of attendees is at 118.

2000591264_f55353f457_b.jpg

Edited by res2100

Hey AV, how do you do those outlines of all of the people? I would like to do a similar thing with one of our group photos.

1 - I greyscaled the original phot and lightened it quite a bit

2 - I use the polygonal lasso in photoshop and just did a quick run around one person

3 - I did a red 2pt stroke around the resulting selection

4 - I use the text tool write a number in it.

5 - NEXT PERSON!

Not an easy task, but not too hard ether, it's just a bit tedious...