USGS info in a Nutshell

KSJohn

Ya, I know, look at the post below with 200 replys. I know I need to contact the Rolla, MO office for my area, I also know it is in this topic somewhere. After looking thru 3 pages worth of posts, I give up.

In a nutshell can someone sticky a post that goes thru the what & who I need to contact and what info to ask for to get the info needed to start looking for the USGS marks?? It can't be that hard to do and would be so helpful for everyone.

Ya, I know, look at the post below with 200 replys. I know I need to contact the Rolla, MO office for my area, I also know it is in this topic somewhere. After looking thru 3 pages worth of posts, I give up.

In a nutshell can someone sticky a post that goes thru the what & who I need to contact and what info to ask for to get the info needed to start looking for the USGS marks?? It can't be that hard to do and would be so helpful for everyone.

You can try to contact the Rolla office but they closed and several of them moved to NGA and the rest probably retired.

KSJohn -

Only Groundspeak can make a topic sticky. I think, even if that is destined to be done for this USGS interest, I think it isn't quite time yet.

As TheBeanTeam indicated, and as you have noted you already know, the first post, in red, in answer to question #4 is our contact information for getting USGS mark information.

A synopsis of later details that became clear during everyone's efforts here is the following:

1. Tell the USGS the name of the 7.5-minute quadrangle you're interested in.
  2. Then, ask them the name of the corresponding 15-minute quadrangle.
  3. Then ask them for the entire 15-minute quadrangle (that they name in answer to question #2):

1. The index, the line drawing, and all the description pages for the "vertical control" marks.
    2. The index, the line drawing, and all the description pages for the "horizontal control" marks.

That's what we know to do so far to get USGS information on the marks.

The descriptions will include all the reference marks but the ones listed in the index are the most important ones.

KSJohn -

A synopsis of later details that became clear during everyone's efforts here is the following:

[*]Tell the USGS the name of the 7.5-minute quadrangle you're interested in.

[**]The index, the line drawing, and all the description pages for the "vertical control" marks.

[**]The index, the line drawing, and all the description pages for the "horizontal control" marks.

That's what we know to do so far to get USGS information on the marks.

The descriptions will include all the reference marks but the ones listed in the index are the most important ones.

[**]If you know it it will be helpful.

I just talked to Keith,what a great talk.

He said they really only need the [*]7.5 Quadrangle you need it is indexed from there.

I am working on a way to send my National Map Corps Data along with the recoveries of the marks in my area.

I also asked for some new quads for the area and they are working on it as I type this.

They are all really good to help us out.

They also thanked us for all of our efforts.

One thing we did talk about and I heard once or twice was that the USGS has abandoned their marks...

THEY HAVE NOT!!

They are just not setting any new one's.

And if a County or local Gov. wanted to reset a mark that needed to be moved they supply a kit for it and how they would like it done.

In My words, for more information on the above you can contact the USGS in Rolla or Denver.

You may also want to look under the National Map Corps topic on how to become a volunteer for your local quad recoveries.

TNMC The National Map Corps

He said they really only need the [*]7.5 Quadrangle you need it is indexed from there.
The reason I suggested asking specficially for the entire 15-minute quad is because when frex3wv asked for mark information they gave only an extract (a few of the pages, 8-16 out of 39), apparently trying to give just the 7.5-minute quad's worth. I think it would be good to be sure to be getting the entire package.