1:24000 topo maps

rlridgeway

My Garmin 60 CSx handles MapSource US National Park maps, which are 1:24K equivalents.

Any stand-alone units handle 1:24K equivalents outside National Parks?

National Geographic Pocket Topo allows placing 24K maps into a Pocket PC or Palm. Slip in a Cf or SD GPS and you've got it. Real time location as you walk around on the 24K map.

Yeah, I know there are several 1:24K map options for PDAs. I was looking for 24K maps for brand name stand-alone GPS receivers. Garmin seems to have limited coverage (see above). I was wondering if Magellan, Lowrance,or other brand names can use the equivalent of 24K maps besides the limited coverage Garmin offers?

My Garmin 60 CSx handles MapSource US National Park maps, which are 1:24K equivalents.

Any stand-alone units handle 1:24K equivalents outside National Parks?

National Geographic Pocket Topo allows placing 24K maps into a Pocket PC or Palm. Slip in a Cf or SD GPS and you've got it. Real time location as you walk around on the 24K map.

Yeah, I know there are several 1:24K map options for PDAs. I was looking for 24K maps for brand name stand-alone GPS receivers. Garmin seems to have limited coverage (see above). I was wondering if Magellan, Lowrance,or other brand names can use the equivalent of 24K maps besides the limited coverage Garmin offers?

I understand that the new Magellan Triton will handle NG Topo. There is also a way to load your own maps to any unit. It takes some time and technical know how, but it can be done.

Edited by briansnat

I use the Garmin GPSMAP60CS with the Topo maps loaded which does so. Now that they have the 'x' version with the SD slot in it, I'd recommend it even more, you can load everything on it now.

I was under the impression that except for the National Parks mapset, the topos from Garmin are equivilent to 100K. Am I wrong?

I am looking for devices that use 24K maps.

The way I know to obtain real-time location on a 1:24k map is using Back Country Navigator on a Pocket PC and a separate GPS receiver. You can also get aerial photos, with 1m/pixel resolution everywhere, down to 1/4m per pixel resolution in color in some urban areas (you can clearly see cars). I personally use a Dell Axim with a Garmin GPS 10x receiver.

Download maps for the area you're going to hunt in, import the GPX files into the map (or import the GPX files first so you know which maps to download), and you're good to go. All maps of the USA are free. One big downside is that the ONLY maps available are for the USA.

Also, there is now a desktop version of BCN so you can download the maps at higher PC connection speeds then transfer the data files to your PPC memory card using a card reader.

The way I know to obtain real-time location on a 1:24k map is using Back Country Navigator on a Pocket PC and a separate GPS receiver. You can also get aerial photos, with 1m/pixel resolution everywhere, down to 1/4m per pixel resolution in color in some urban areas (you can clearly see cars). I personally use a Dell Axim with a Garmin GPS 10x receiver.

Download maps for the area you're going to hunt in, import the GPX files into the map (or import the GPX files first so you know which maps to download), and you're good to go. All maps of the USA are free. One big downside is that the ONLY maps available are for the USA.

Also, there is now a desktop version of BCN so you can download the maps at higher PC connection speeds then transfer the data files to your PPC memory card using a card reader.

Actually I have a PDA/GPS setup with Backcountry Navigator and think it rocks but...

I have an aquaintance who is interested in GPS and geocaching but despite my best efforts wants a standalone unit. This person is familiar with mapping and also wants a solution that utilizes 24k topo maps. At present, Garmin only offers 24K maps of National Parks. Their standard topo mapset is 100K.

It does appears that Magellan's Triton series will be able to utilize 24K maps when it is released.

But are there any other brands of GPS (like Lowrance) that can use 24K maps?

Apparently not, as I have not gotten feedback from the thread indicating otherwise.

The answer is essentially no, although you can fudge it. The real question is, why the heck don't they have a standalone unit with 24k topo maps? I would be thrilled. It also perprlexes me that Garmin didn't mention the upgrade from 50m to 50ft contour intervals from their previous maps to the current ones. That's a pretty big difference.

I have Garmin's Mapsource Topo bought 7 years ago. What upgrade are you talking about? Are you saying that the contour lines now display in even numbers (ie 120 feet) for feet rather than the equivalent to meters? The lines on mine are in 20 meter intervals. When you switch to feet it shos the equivalent changes in feet ie 2756 to 2822 or 66 feet wich is the equivalent to 20 meters.