Warm and Fuzzy Geocoin Feelings

Cornerstone4

I think a do not sell request list would be great. If you don't care and want to sell then that's your right, but for those who want to hold true to the original owners/makers wishes it would be great to have a reference point.

When would such a list expire?

Seriously. When I kick off, my kids will keep some of the coins and dispose of the rest with the estate. They are not bound, I am the one bound with the chains of courtesy. What about the giver of the gift? Do their desires go with them to the grave or do they live on with the Geocoin Insitute of Gifted Coins and owners legacy wishes?

I'm asking because if you are going to say there is a problem it helps to draw a box around it. Especially once as hard to pin down as this.

I think C4 made a great little post, that no one commented on, so I will...

:)

Thank you for this post...you saved me from an embarrasment! I have a box of coins that I am planning to list on Ebay. I have many coins that I have received in multiple coin trades that I don't remember exactly where they came from. One of yours was in that pile! :mad:

Until I saw your post, it didn't register where that coin came from...but now I remember. It was a gift at GCF in February! I would have been truly embarrassed to have gotten rid of a gift coin. Thanks for saving me that embarrassment!

What if C4 had actually sold it? Gasp! The horrors! :):)

As someone else posted, we are all human! I'm sure a claim could be made (although I'm not making it, I'm trying to stay neutral and not offend anyone as I may have done in the past :mad: ) that MAYBE at least one of the sales was made without even considering the origin of the coin. That is, just like C4 said, MAYBE at least one of the sellers didn't remember that it had been a gift or trade or whatever. When you have a bazillion coins (I only have half a bazillion myself) I'm sure it COULD possibly be easy to forget which coins are super special and which are regular special, especially with the stresses of whatever is prompting a coin-nut to unload their coins.

Personally, I can tell you where I got every single one of my coins <_< , but that's just me, and everyone is different.

now, lets all sing koombayah!

:huh:;)

Thanks Wole!

I am in the same boat...there is now way I can remember how I obtained every coin in my collection. Some, stick in my mind, and others don't. It all depends on the situation. However, any that were given with a request of, "Please don't sell this." are pretty well stuck in my memory...(I hope) :P

For example, during the GCF event in February, there was a LOT going on. Not only did I have the GCF event on Saturday, but I had our Mega event the next day. I met a LOT of people over that weekend, I was was blessed enough to receive many gifts as well. Sometimes, I had time to stop an visit...other times, I was only able to offer a sincere "thanks", and then I was on my way. Unfortunately, by the end of the weekend, I couldn't remember all of the gifts. The post above was one that I unfortunately put in the wrong box...but that has been corrected now! B)

I know I am not alone in this predicament either...I know one collector that has in excess of 5000 coins still in the mailers! He has boxes of mailers in his closet that he never opened! Once he gets around to opening them, he is going to be hard pressed to keep everything straight!

... And do I have to pass along the "please do not sell" clause?

If you got it with one, know of it, and agreed to it, you do not have the right, or moral authority to do anything else and do the right thing.

You do have the freedom to do exactly that. It just would not be right. That said I still think that coins should not come wiht complicating ownership factors to begin with. It's just artifical complexity to deal with.

I think a do not sell request list would be great. If you don't care and want to sell then that's your right, but for those who want to hold true to the original owners/makers wishes it would be great to have a reference point.

Seriously. When I kick off, my kids will keep some of the coins and dispose of the rest with the estate. They are not bound, I am the one bound with the chains of courtesy. What about the giver of the gift? Do their desires go with them to the grave or do they live on with the Geocoin Insitute of Gifted Coins and owners legacy wishes?

I'm asking because if you are going to say there is a problem it helps to draw a box around it. Especially once as hard to pin down as this.

RK,

I don't think the list should matter to your heirs. I think the list represents a "Spirit" some in the community would like to see upheld. There is nothing legally binding about it, so for someone outside of the community to sell a coin on the list...there really isn't an issue

If the coin was given to you with the stipulation...I'm assuming since your heirs have it...you are beyond caring what anyone in this community thinks about the coin being sold. :mad:

I very much agree with MJ's opinion here. I saw the GCF on ebay but didn't bid because I felt it was against the spirit of the giving. I also have a silver one and the ant bronze one. I traded for one of them and both mean a lot to me. If I ever decide to part with one of them I know exact who it will end up with.

Well I guess I just need to resign myself to the fact that I'll never get one of these mystery coins anyway but someday I will have my own to gift for others.... In the meantime, I can't control how people feel when I do or don't do something with a coin I own even if it was a gift. I think we should be prepared upfront before we make any coins that we are taking a risk when we gift a coin or we place it in a cache to travel.

How are the old stomping grounds? I haven't been back to Texas in almost five years.

Well, the Cowboys lost!

Hi Bryan!

That sounds about right! :mad:

Maybe after the next deployment I will get back home for a visit. I keep saying that with each move but it never happens.

Yes..we did have a past experience. And if you remember correctly you basically told me my opinions weren't valid unless I told you who I was. I don't know you..why should I have to disclose personal information to you to express an opinion??? Off topic...sorry.

I've got to respond to this again.

In our last encounter, you misunderstood something I said, so I clarified, and apologized it you took what I said the wrong way. Someone else entirely questioned you about who you were. I never mentioned it, and continued to respond respectfully to you even after you said you were not posting under your main account.

And why wouldn't you? These are opinions....easily shrugged off if you don't agree with them. You're the one that felt the need to bring that encounter into this forum. How about we just agree to disagree on the subject of selling coins?

And why wouldn't you? These are opinions....easily shrugged off if you don't agree with them. You're the one that felt the need to bring that encounter into this forum. How about we just agree to disagree on the subject of selling coins?

Fair enough...in fact, early on it was acknowledged that we were not trying to come to a consensus here. It was a place for both sides to air their views. Sometimes seeing things from another point of view helps ease tensions...although that rarely happens over night. :mad:

Fair enough...in fact, early on it was acknowledged that we were not trying to come to a consensus here. It was a place for both sides to air their views. Sometimes seeing things from another point of view helps ease tensions...although that rarely happens over night. :mad:

Wow... this thread has come a long way! From not agreeing on this, to socks/duplicate accts., to personal attacks, and back to not agreeing. So much progress, very productive. What exactly has come out of this thread that is of any use? As the title announces right off the bat.. why can't you just agree to disagree and then move on? I do realize that some folks have to have their daily dose of drama, but is this really the venue? This is supposed to be a family friendly activity. If you want drama, watch the news, go to church, get into politics. Flame on...

Dialog never hurts...like I said, sharing opinions can be helpful. We don't have to have a resolution here. It's not like we are trying for a nuclear arms agreement here.

[

Wow... this thread has come a long way! From not agreeing on this, to socks/duplicate accts., to personal attacks, and back to not agreeing. So much progress, very productive. What exactly has come out of this thread that is of any use? As the title announces right off the bat.. why can't you just agree to disagree and then move on? I do realize that some folks have to have their daily dose of drama, but is this really the venue? This is supposed to be a family friendly activity. If you want drama, watch the news, go to church, get into politics. Flame on...

You're right. All this drama and nothing will be solved by this. I've said my piece and I'm done with this subject. Thanks for the reality check!!! :mad:

[

You're right. All this drama and nothing will be solved by this. I've said my piece and I'm done with this subject. Thanks for the reality check!!! :mad:

Nothing will by solved in your opinion.

However you can't be the judge whether or not this conversation helped out anyone that wasn't sure what the fuss was about.

Thanks for you contribution to the topic though. Now that you aren't lurking anymore, I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

[

You're right. All this drama and nothing will be solved by this. I've said my piece and I'm done with this subject. Thanks for the reality check!!! :D

Nothing will by solved in your opinion.

However you can't be the judge whether or not this conversation helped out anyone that wasn't sure what the fuss was about.

Thanks for you contribution to the topic though. Now that you aren't lurking anymore, I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

The other poster was right...what *has* been accomplished? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

RK,

I don't think the list should matter to your heirs. I think the list represents a "Spirit" some in the community would like to see upheld. There is nothing legally binding about it, so for someone outside of the community to sell a coin on the list...there really isn't an issue

If the coin was given to you with the stipulation...I'm assuming since your heirs have it...you are beyond caring what anyone in this community thinks about the coin being sold. :D

If you make the list, there will become list keepers who feel it is their duty and obligation to keep tabs on coins and enforce the rules.

I'm not sure who is derailing this thread more. But I'm asking you all to get it back on topic, or I can close it really fast. All it takes is one click.

Am I making myself clear?

If I am contributing to the off topic banter, then I respectfully ask that I be given a time out.

I would also ask that the same be done for anyone else that contributes to the derailment of this thread.

To restate the original topic:

I get tired of everyone defending folks that are selling "gifted" coins. I think the feelings of the gifter need to be considered as well.

The GCF is a great example. Her generousity has been abused, and now she is quitting. The community as a whole suffers because of the inconsideration of a few.

To restate the original topic:

I get tired of everyone defending folks that are selling "gifted" coins. I think the feelings of the gifter need to be considered as well.

The GCF is a great example. Her generousity has been abused, and now she is quitting. The community as a whole suffers because of the inconsideration of a few.

gift (gĭft) Pronunciation Key

n.

1. Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation.

2. The act, right, or power of giving.

3. A talent, endowment, aptitude, or inclination.

I'm tired of hearing these things called gifts...no offense to the GCF.

gift (gĭft) Pronunciation Key

n.

1. Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation.

2. The act, right, or power of giving.

3. A talent, endowment, aptitude, or inclination.

I'm tired of hearing these things called gifts...no offense to the GCF.

I just wanted to clarify my point. I'm not against people that don't want certain coins to be sold, just that they should not be considered gifts if they have any sort of restrictions on them. And for the record, I would not knowingly sell any of the mystery coins or other non-sale coins if I had any in my possession.

Observation on the divide:

School 1 Earlier collectors collected when most coins were personal or geocaching related, there were alot of non-trackables and people often traded to get new coins.

School 2 Later collectors collected when most coins whether they are personals or other coins are bought and sold rather than traded.

I guess it's easier for me understand the two viewpoints when I make that distinction.

Observation on the divide:

School 1 Earlier collectors collected when most coins were personal or geocaching related, there were alot of non-trackables and people often traded to get new coins.

School 2 Later collectors collected when most coins whether they are personals or other coins are bought and sold rather than traded.

I guess it's easier for me understand the two viewpoints when I make that distinction.

That is a very good observation and makes sense. For most of these older coins or even some of the newer ones, purchase is my only option - ebay included. I don't have the type of coins that would be valuable in a trade with someone that has an extensive collection. So I never saw the ebay sale as a 'bad' thing as I had the same chance as everyone else to get a wonderful coin.

I don't think buying them on ebay is a bad thing either. Most of the people buying, I believe, are like Theotokis...wanting to acquire some of the great older coins. I really don't think most people are out to make a fortune buying up geocoins and reselling them. There are far better ways to make money and frankly, I rarely meet anyone other than cachers who even know what a geocoin is. I think that someone who would pay those prices for a coin must really want it. And let's face it, people new to caching don't have the coins to trade for some of the older ones.

For me:

Traded coin = some kept (and loved), some sold, some re-traded, some gifted

Bought coin = some kept (and loved), some re-sold, some traded, some gifted

Gifted coin = all kept (all loved), all appreciated.

Mystery coin = both kept (both loved) never to be traded or sold, but gifted to another cacher if I ever get out of coin collecting (as IF!)

I have a tiny collection compared to some (only about 300 ish coins), but I remember every single gifted coin. The more I get to know the people who have gifted me coins, the more I treasure them. Yes, A&T I am just a big girl ;)

When I am feeling strapped for cash, I sell off a heap of coins on the forum, all for usually the original price, sometimes less, sometimes I sell for more if people are feeling generous on eBay.

I once bought a set of 3 coins, then put one on eBay and it sold for $225. I almost died with shock. I then regretted doing it, and traded for another coin exactly the same so I could keep my set together. But I am pretty sure my actions have annoyed the person who produced the coin, even though I traded with him to get the second coin.

He probaby thinks I am untrustworthy, but I sold that coin when I was still very new to geocoins, and I am keeping the traded coin because I now understand the value of geocoins - they, to me, are worth more than just money.

Go on, call me a sentimental fool :ph34r: