Warm and Fuzzy Geocoin Feelings

Cornerstone4

I just don't believe in turning something good that someone did into something bad.

This isn't a living breathing puppy, it is a coin.

And these aren't puppy mills, they are people selling coins because they need the money. Which as you've stated, you have no problem with.

Here is a quote of what I said.

I didn't say I approved of selling them....

I lurk often, post occasionally but I was fascinated to read this thread.

Someone cited the "Miss Manners rules" of gifts, but as a Dear Abby reader it has come up many times in her column that once you receive a gift it is yours to do with as you please, so it would seem even the advice columnists can't agree on this topic!

However with that said - I have somewhere between 70-80 coins and only two of those were "gifts" - one was a coin I won in a cointest here and the other is a Team Bamboozle coin that was given to me at an event by Bamboozle himself. I was so honored to receive both of those coins that its hard to imagine a time that I would need money badly enough to sell them.

In a perfect world, we would have to part with something cherished due to financial hardship. Of course none of us live in a perfect world, and if a gift I made to a friend made the difference between financially going under or staying afloat - what kind of friend would I be to begrudge them that? (Maybe that's easy to say because I haven't actually minted any coins...)

In a perfect world, we would have to part with something cherished due to financial hardship. Of course none of us live in a perfect world, and if a gift I made to a friend made the difference between financially going under or staying afloat - what kind of friend would I be to begrudge them that? (Maybe that's easy to say because I haven't actually minted any coins...)

I totally agree. Who would lose a friend over something like that? I'd have to be pretty egotistical to think any coin I might make is so important they should keep it instead of selling it to help themselves and their family. I'd be proud if any coin I made had the capability of helping in a situation like that.

I totally agree. Who would lose a friend over something like that? I'd have to be pretty egotistical to think any coin I might make is so important they should keep it instead of selling it to help themselves and their family. I'd be proud if any coin I made had the capability of helping in a situation like that.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I happen to know the person who sold the last GCF coin. She is one of the nicest, neatest people I know. I love hanging out with her. She is a hoot. I don't hate her because she sold the coin. She will always be a wonderful person in my eyes. And I've gifted and traded coins with her and others knowing they were going to ebay.

But here is where the selling of the coin comes into play: I'm working on my personal coin. It will probably be done when I'm a little more steady on my feet after my own finacial drought! LOL - I'll probably gift most of them away. I won't be gifting them to people who sell trade only coins on ebay. I'll be investing my money on the coin and re-couping none of it.

You get the reputation you earn. At some point, people stop giving you trade only coins if they show up on ebay. You start falling off the mystery coin lovers list. There are consequences to your actions. If you are leaving the "coin world", it shouldn't matter.

I happen to know the person who sold the last GCF coin. She is one of the nicest, neatest people I know. I love hanging out with her. She is a hoot. I don't hate her because she sold the coin. She will always be a wonderful person in my eyes. And I've gifted and traded coins with her and others knowing they were going to ebay.

But here is where the selling of the coin comes into play: I'm working on my personal coin. It will probably be done when I'm a little more steady on my feet after my own finacial drought! LOL - I'll probably gift most of them away. I won't be gifting them to people who sell trade only coins on ebay. I'll be investing my money on the coin and re-couping none of it.

You get the reputation you earn. At some point, people stop giving you trade only coins if they show up on ebay. You start falling off the mystery coin lovers list. There are consequences to your actions. If you are leaving the "coin world", it shouldn't matter.

Makes sense, too...hmm...

I'm sure that many of the people that sell these coins are nice, neat people. So it's okay that your friend sold this coin on ebay..but no one else should?

I said I don't hate her because she sold the coin. I don't dislike any of the people who sold trade only coins just because they sold them.

I don't think they should be sold. That is my opinion. Just because my friend does it, doesn't change my opinion of the sales of the coins. But it doesn't change my opinion of the person either.

And that there are consequences to selling them.

One consequence of the selling of the GCF coin is that there is no more GCF. Is that what we wanted?

I said that I think it's great if someone has the money to pay upwards of $100 for a coin to give it back to the owner. But in my opinion, what a waste when there are so many deserving charities that could use that money.

The assumption you are making here is that the person isn't giving money to charities as well...

It's their money, and if they are doing it as a token of good will or friendship, then why is that so wrong?

I'm sure that many of the people that sell these coins are nice, neat people. So it's okay that your friend sold this coin on ebay..but no one else should?

I said I don't hate her because she sold the coin. I don't dislike any of the people who sold trade only coins just because they sold them.

I don't think they should be sold. That is my opinion. Just because my friend does it, doesn't change my opinion of the sales of the coins. But it doesn't change my opinion of the person either.

And that there are consequences to selling them.

One consequence of the selling of the GCF coin is that there is no more GCF. Is that what we wanted?

Good point.

People keep bringing up "losing friends." None of us that disagree with coin sales have ever said anything about losing friendships...those words were added later.

We disagree with the practice. I've do a lot of things that some of my friends don't like. I also have a belief system that some of my friends disagree with. That doesn't keep up from being friends...

I said that I think it's great if someone has the money to pay upwards of $100 for a coin to give it back to the owner. But in my opinion, what a waste when there are so many deserving charities that could use that money.

The assumption you are making here is that the person isn't giving money to charities as well...

It's their money, and if they are doing it as a token of good will or friendship, then why is that so wrong?

Oh please! You'd have to live in lala land if you think everyone selling a special coin on ebay is giving the money they make to charity! Most that are being sold for charity are listed as such because it's known that most people will pay a bit more than the norm for charity auctions. But you're right on the fact that if someone wants to pay that kind of money to give a coin back to the original owner..it's their business.

Oh please! You'd have to live in lala land if you think everyone selling a special coin on ebay is giving the money they make to charity! Most that are being sold for charity are listed as such because it's known that most people will pay a bit more than the norm for charity auctions. But you're right on the fact that if someone wants to pay that kind of money to give a coin back to the original owner..it's their business.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough...please read the post I was responding to...

The post I replied to was talking about what a waste of money it was for someone to buy a coin only to return it to the original owner...rather that give money to a charity.

My point was, how do you know the buyer of the coin doesn't support charities as well?

Bill Gates gives more money to causes than any other individual that I am aware of...but he still has money to "waste" on things he chooses to waste it on.

Also...please post with your real account...it's easy to hide in a sock.

I'm assuming that this coin was not returned to the GCF. If it was, I would think she would have been happy that someone made that gesture on her behalf...not angry enough to give up what apparently she enjoyed doing. So the donation habits of people here and on ebay really don't matter. And for your information, this is the only account I have so quit trying to start an argument with the sock puppet remark. It's rude to start name calling over an OPINION.

I'm assuming that this coin was not returned to the GCF. If it was, I would think she would have been happy that someone made that gesture on her behalf...not angry enough to give up what apparently she enjoyed doing. So the donation habits of people here and on ebay really don't matter. And for your information, this is the only account I have so quit trying to start an argument with the sock puppet remark. It's rude to start name calling over an OPINION.

Actually, you told us on another forum site that this wasn't your main account? I can't post the thread to it, but what you said was:

"TheNumber1Bop is not my main account, however, due to the way people are treated on these forums I like to use this one. It's really none of your business who I am. The forums are for

expressing opinions regardless of who holds them. As for it not being nice for me to post like this, I'm here to give an opinion. If you disagree, that's fine. But don't conjure up ulterior motives."

Hmmm...

The coin I was referring to was the Moun10Bike V1 coin...I have no idea who the GCF fairy...so I wouldn't know if that coin was returned or not..

I don't see how mentioning that your account looks like a sock-puppet is akin to name calling...but in any case, that wasn't my intent. It's been my experience that when opinions start getting posted to threads with accounts with little to no activity...comments can be a bit free...

If this is not a sock-puppet account, then I apoligize...however, I did Report the post and ask the mods to look into the account.

Cheers!

I did have another account that I started before this one. But I liked this name better so this is now the one and only. Shame on you for turning this into a personal attack...as some people on this forum seem to like to do. Let's stick to the topic.

It isn't a personal attack. You admitted that that wasn't your main account. Then you come in here and claim it is. So which is it?

The reason why it is concerning is that it is difficult to debate someone who hides behind the cloak of anonimity, and we have to post our actual opinions using our names. We aren't hiding. We are saying what we think.

Since it has been reported, then Groundspeak should handle it the way they see fit.

I did have another account that I started before this one. But I liked this name better so this is now the one and only. Shame on you for turning this into a personal attack...as some people on this forum seem to like to do. Let's stick to the topic.

It isn't a personal attack. You admitted that that wasn't your main account. Then you come in here and claim it is. So which is it?

The reason why it is concerning is that it is difficult to debate someone who hides behind the cloak of anonimity, and we have to post our actual opinions using our names. We aren't hiding. We are saying what we think.

Since it has been reported, then Groundspeak should handle it the way they see fit.

Is the bopper's real identity ringbone? :mad:

Is the bopper's real identity ringbone? :mad:

<_<

Again, not to cause any ill will but I guess if you can help me understand what it is about selling a coin that makes it wrong? I will probably never sell a coin myself as I'm a hoarder but I still have trouble following this thread.

I mean the issue can't be because it is a gift and has sentimental value as it seems trading the coin is okay. It also seems okay to trade for a lot of coins - so getting more value for a coin seems okay. It just seems that selling for money is the real concern is that it? But if the reason we give these coins is to give joy to those that find them then I still don't understand. Some people find joy in locking a coin away for nobody else to see and/or only to come out a few times a year. Others find joy in trading or giving and yet others enjoy selling to make a few bucks.

Now again, I just want to do the right thing but I really struggle to see the issue here as it all seems so circular. Really it seems to comes down to a personal choice and and so I don't understand why someone that may choose to sell a coin is any different than the person who locks the coin away?

It seems to me that the only real answer is to let geocoins be what they were intended for in the first place - travel for all to see.

Again, not to cause any ill will but I guess if you can help me understand what it is about selling a coin that makes it wrong? I will probably never sell a coin myself as I'm a hoarder but I still have trouble following this thread.

I mean the issue can't be because it is a gift and has sentimental value as it seems trading the coin is okay. It also seems okay to trade for a lot of coins - so getting more value for a coin seems okay. It just seems that selling for money is the real concern is that it? But if the reason we give these coins is to give joy to those that find them then I still don't understand. Some people find joy in locking a coin away for nobody else to see and/or only to come out a few times a year. Others find joy in trading or giving and yet others enjoy selling to make a few bucks.

Now again, I just want to do the right thing but I really struggle to see the issue here as it all seems so circular. Really it seems to comes down to a personal choice and and so I don't understand why someone that may choose to sell a coin is any different than the person who locks the coin away?

It seems to me that the only real answer is to let geocoins be what they were intended for in the first place - travel for all to see.

Here is the issue to me, and keep in mind that it is only my opinion.

I look at the Geocoin Fairy coin. I know that they minted about 250 each year. That probably cost them $1000 each year. They then spent money distributing these coins. They took no recognition for being the GCF, nor did they sell any to re-coup their expenses. They had one sold for charity.

So we get these coins and they bring so much joy to so many people. If you look at the thread, you can see so many happy posts. So many kids smiling with there coin in hand.

But after spending that kind of money on a coin that is given away freely, some people take it upon themselves to sell that coin and make a substancial profit. The GCF never made a profit from it, in fact, she would be at a substancial loss, because she spent so much money to make and distribute the coin.

Some people feel that once the GCF drops that coin, whoever gets it is free to do what they want with it. Which is true. But it obviously hurt her feelings, because the third version of the coin has been cancelled. I find that sad.

I think C4 made a great little post, that no one commented on, so I will...

:huh:

Thank you for this post...you saved me from an embarrasment! I have a box of coins that I am planning to list on Ebay. I have many coins that I have received in multiple coin trades that I don't remember exactly where they came from. One of yours was in that pile! :mad:

Until I saw your post, it didn't register where that coin came from...but now I remember. It was a gift at GCF in February! I would have been truly embarrassed to have gotten rid of a gift coin. Thanks for saving me that embarrassment!

What if C4 had actually sold it? Gasp! The horrors! <_<:)

As someone else posted, we are all human! I'm sure a claim could be made (although I'm not making it, I'm trying to stay neutral and not offend anyone as I may have done in the past ;) ) that MAYBE at least one of the sales was made without even considering the origin of the coin. That is, just like C4 said, MAYBE at least one of the sellers didn't remember that it had been a gift or trade or whatever. When you have a bazillion coins (I only have half a bazillion myself) I'm sure it COULD possibly be easy to forget which coins are super special and which are regular special, especially with the stresses of whatever is prompting a coin-nut to unload their coins.

Personally, I can tell you where I got every single one of my coins :mad: , but that's just me, and everyone is different.

now, lets all sing koombayah!

:)B)

I'm seeing a trend here that I REALLY don't like. Anytime some one disagrees with a more established member of this community, the established member and their "friends" attempt to discredit the other person. either you haven't been geocaching long enough or you haven't found enough caches, or placed enough caches or made enough posts to the forums to comment, make a coin, or be trusted to make a trade. Or if all else fails just accuse them of using a sock puppet account!

Agree or disagree but act like an adult while doing it. Stop the name calling and back biting.

It would appear that the forums for some people are merely an extension of your own narcistic desire to shout "Look at me Look at me!" to any one who will listen. NOBODY IS ALWAYS RIGHT. SOMETIMES THERE IS NOT A RIGHT WAY. There are simply different ways and different people.

LET IT GO :mad:

Mandy

I'm seeing a trend here that I REALLY don't like. Anytime some one disagrees with a more established member of this community, the established member and their "friends" attempt to discredit the other person. either you haven't been geocaching long enough or you haven't found enough caches, or placed enough caches or made enough posts to the forums to comment, make a coin, or be trusted to make a trade. Or if all else fails just accuse them of using a sock puppet account!

Agree or disagree but act like an adult while doing it. Stop the name calling and back biting.

It would appear that the forums for some people are merely an extension of your own narcistic desire to shout "Look at me Look at me!" to any one who will listen. NOBODY IS ALWAYS RIGHT. SOMETIMES THERE IS NOT A RIGHT WAY. There are simply different ways and different people.

LET IT GO :mad:

Mandy

It has nothing to do with established members or not. There are two sides to this issue. Both sides get to state their opinion. Should an established member have to shut up? It isn't surprising that they are friends with like minded people, although I don't always agree with my friends.

I respect alot of people on the other side of this argument. I don't have to agree with someone to like them. And I don't really have to like someone to agree with them.

But after spending that kind of money on a coin that is given away freely, some people take it upon themselves to sell that coin and make a substancial profit. The GCF never made a profit from it, in fact, she would be at a substancial loss, because she spent so much money to make and distribute the coin.

Some people feel that once the GCF drops that coin, whoever gets it is free to do what they want with it. Which is true. But it obviously hurt her feelings, because the third version of the coin has been cancelled. I find that sad.

I agree that it a very sad situation and I hope it does change - the GCF and folks like her are what this sport is all about. It's something our family wants to do someday as well.

However, as a person that may never find one of these mystery coins, I also find it rather rude to see pictures of people with multiple GFC....I guess that is why I struggle because too me, it isn't about the selling...it's about the overall way these coins are treated. At least in a sale, someone like me gets a chance at those coins.

But even if they aren't sold, they are treated by some as a method to make personal gains. So the selling for money is where I've been struggling because that seems to be the focus. Too me though it is the same 'wrong' to hoard these coins. I don't think it's right for people to jump on someone for selling a coin when they have multiple coins and may trade for major value. I'm also not sure it is right for owners of caches to rush out and get these coins right away - a bit unfair in my mind and again, the same disrespect as selling...in my mind anyway.

Stating your opinion or commenting on some one else's is one thing but feeling the need to look up the other persons account and then comment on said account is quite another.

I'm pretty sure I've hurt some people's feelings here, much like in real life. Sorry. Just call me socially inept.

I agree that it a very sad situation and I hope it does change - the GCF and folks like her are what this sport is all about. It's something our family wants to do someday as well.

However, as a person that may never find one of these mystery coins, I also find it rather rude to see pictures of people with multiple GFC....I guess that is why I struggle because too me, it isn't about the selling...it's about the overall way these coins are treated. At least in a sale, someone like me gets a chance at those coins.

But even if they aren't sold, they are treated by some as a method to make personal gains. So the selling for money is where I've been struggling because that seems to be the focus. Too me though it is the same 'wrong' to hoard these coins. I don't think it's right for people to jump on someone for selling a coin when they have multiple coins and may trade for major value. I'm also not sure it is right for owners of caches to rush out and get these coins right away - a bit unfair in my mind and again, the same disrespect as selling...in my mind anyway.

I only have one GCF but I can't question how she gives them out. Unfair isn't a word I would use in the distribution of these coins. Maybe GCF knows something we don't as to why they are distributed like they are. Why some people get them and some people don't. I have no idea.

Stating your opinion or commenting on some one else's is one thing but feeling the need to look up the other persons account and then comment on said account is quite another.

I'm pretty sure I've hurt some people's feelings here, much like in real life. Sorry. Just call me socially inept.

I didn't look up thenumber1bop's account. I had a past experience with this person and they stated that that name wasn't their main account. No need to look up there account, I just remember the encounter very clearly.

So what conclusion would you draw from that?

I only have one GCF but I can't question how she gives them out. Unfair isn't a word I would use in the distribution of these coins. Maybe GCF knows something we don't as to why they are distributed like they are. Why some people get them and some people don't. I have no idea.

I don't question her distribution methods but I do question how some people obtain them. I just don't think it's right to put the blame on people that sell coins when the established collectors may also abuse the intent by hoarding and trading for mega value.

I didn't look up thenumber1bop's account. I had a past experience with this person and they stated that that name wasn't their main account. No need to look up there account, I just remember the encounter very clearly.

So what conclusion would you draw from that?

Must have been a memorable experience! :mad:

Yes..we did have a past experience. And if you remember correctly you basically told me my opinions weren't valid unless I told you who I was. I don't know you..why should I have to disclose personal information to you to express an opinion??? Off topic...sorry.

Actually, I responded to everything you said. I was not the one who said that. That was somebody else.

I did look it up. It was a name I didn't recognize, so I checked it out...nothing wrong with that.

If you saw TMA's post about "Ringbone", but didn't get the reference, do a search for that term and you will see why it is a potential issue. (Although it has potential for lot's of humor too!) :mad:

Anyway, in regards to your post about "established" forum mmembers...early on, I saw a few that were more "established" than I am that had an opposing opinion...no problem there.

I don't question her distribution methods but I do question how some people obtain them. I just don't think it's right to put the blame on people that sell coins when the established collectors may also abuse the intent by hoarding and trading for mega value.

Off topic, but I've only heard of two geocoin fairy coins ever being traded. Out of 500 coins produced, I'd say very seldom. The unwritten rule is no hoarding, and grabbing all four (or three, or two) that were placed in your town :mad:

I agree..hoarding so you can trade for more or more valuable coins is just another way of making a profit off of the a special coin.

Here is the issue to me, and keep in mind that it is only my opinion.

I look at the Geocoin Fairy coin. I know that they minted about 250 each year. That probably cost them $1000 each year. They then spent money distributing these coins. They took no recognition for being the GCF, nor did they sell any to re-coup their expenses. They had one sold for charity.

So we get these coins and they bring so much joy to so many people. If you look at the thread, you can see so many happy posts. So many kids smiling with there coin in hand.

I very much agree with MJ's opinion here. I saw the GCF on ebay but didn't bid because I felt it was against the spirit of the giving. I also have a silver one and the ant bronze one. I traded for one of them and both mean a lot to me. If I ever decide to part with one of them I know exact who it will end up with.

Yes..we did have a past experience. And if you remember correctly you basically told me my opinions weren't valid unless I told you who I was. I don't know you..why should I have to disclose personal information to you to express an opinion??? Off topic...sorry.

I've got to respond to this again.

In our last encounter, you misunderstood something I said, so I clarified, and apologized it you took what I said the wrong way. Someone else entirely questioned you about who you were. I never mentioned it, and continued to respond respectfully to you even after you said you were not posting under your main account.