Warm and Fuzzy Geocoin Feelings

Cornerstone4

It's the same circular argument over and over...more equines have been bludgeoned over this topic and it's really silly.

Then don't read it...

I for one thought that there has been some interesting discussion...how can the topic be dead if there are still opinions being shared?

Thing is, they are pretty much the SAME opinions held by the SAME folks with the rare peppering of a new one.

Talk about circular arguments, do you have a solid opinion on anything, or do you just argue for the sake of argument?

NEW OPINIONS ANYONE

Note the very first line of the above post :laughing:

So...you cam in here to add that little gem, eh? Go back to toeing the party line and leave people with actual original thoughts to do the discussing...kthxbye.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

It's the same circular argument over and over...more equines have been bludgeoned over this topic and it's really silly.

Then don't read it...

I for one thought that there has been some interesting discussion...how can the topic be dead if there are still opinions being shared?

Thing is, they are pretty much the SAME opinions held by the SAME folks with the rare peppering of a new one.

Talk about circular arguments, do you have a solid opinion on anything, or do you just argue for the sake of argument?

NEW OPINIONS ANYONE

So...you cam in here to add that little gem, eh? Go back to toeing the party line and leave people with actual original thoughts to do the discussing...kthxbye.

I would be happy to toe the party line, if it didn't keep moving :laughing:

Then don't read it...

NEW OPINIONS ANYONE

It doesn't move. Read the thread. Oh! I forgot! You haven't read the thread at all! :laughing:

Then don't read it...

NEW OPINIONS ANYONE

It doesn't move. Read the thread. Oh! I forgot! You haven't read the thread at all! :laughing:

Sure I have read the thread, what would make you think I had not?

Do we only treat people like humans if they agree with us?

For some people the answer would be yes.

For anyone who hates the topic so much and thinks it's beating to death then why come in and continue to beat it yourself?????? Go find another topic, leave this one for the people who actually still feel like talking about it.

And spare me the misty eyed yap, that's the best argument you could think of? Change can be good, but not always, and I just don't see how people's loss of respect for one another can be a good thing.

And spare me the misty eyed yap, that's the best argument you could think of? Change can be good, but not always, and I just don't see how people's loss of respect for one another can be a good thing.

How is anyone losing respect when someone manipulates their property as they see fit?

I don't tell you what to do with your stuff...why should you me?

Sure I have read the thread, what would make you think I had not?

Hmmm...you're not discussing the topic the OP brought up?

Yes, I did read the thread, Cornerstone asked what people thought of a particular topic, you voiced your opinion.

The topic was being discussed, pretty much along the party lines you mentioned, when you made THIS post, and then THIS one. I was merely voicing my opinion of your changing opinions, at which time you come back with the good old lame "Surely you can do better than that"

My opinion, on the original topic, as if it really matters, is that it is just a coin, not a kidney. CONTENT REMOVED PER CORNERSTONES REQUEST. That was wrong.

If a person is in trouble, sell away. How much really though are a few geocoins going to help someone in trouble? Need to pay the power bill, does the auction end soon enough? Kids need food, can we sell some coins? What exactly kind of trouble does 12.50 or even 125.00 really help. If your living that close to the edge, you shouldn't be buying coins anyway, in my opinion.

In fact, listing them on ebay, if I was in "trouble" would be the last thing I would do, I would come in here, say I needed money, I have coins for sale, they would be gone instantly. The whole premise of the "trouble" thing, in my opinion, is bunk.

This is the same opinion I had last week, last year and will probably always have.

Edited by prntr1

How is anyone losing respect when someone manipulates their property as they see fit?

If someone offers you a coin under a condition of do not sell, and you decide to accept the coin, then you have also accepted the terms it came with. If you are not happy with the terms, then don't accept it. It is not any more difficult than that and I am not sure why anyone is making it out harder than that.

If someone offers you a coin under a condition of do not sell, and you decide to accept the coin, then you have also accepted the terms it came with. If you are not happy with the terms, then don't accept it. It is not any more difficult than that and I am not sure why anyone is making it out harder than that.

I get you completely; however, times do change and need trumps any silly verbal agreement.

Guess I will add my 2 cents to the fire.

For us (my hubby and myself) it has to do with integrity and principal. For us giving our word means a lot. Yes a coin is not a kidney but for us that is not the point...if we give our word that we will not sell a coin then turn around and sell it a week, a month or even a year later than we are not being trustworthy. For us giving our word means something. It's values that we also hope to pass on to our daughter too. It's more than just the coin.

Yes some people trade for a coin, then some time later something happens that they feel that their only option is selling them. But I think that a promise is a promise is a promise. If you agreed to take the coin into your possession and not sell it then you have options...contact the original owner, offer it for trade to someone else for multiple coins that can be sold, etc.

To all contributing:

Please edit your posts that refer to any particular incident. This is not about any one incident.

I realize that there is one that is still fresh on everyone's mind...but I have been thinking about this whole issue for a long time.

For instance, quite a while back, someone found a Ver. 1 Indy Diver in a cache, and then sold it for big bucks on ebay. Ok, so the coin was a legitamate trade item...but if he got $100 on Ebay, did he trade up or even in the cache? I'm sure he didn't.

This example is not the same as a gifted coin, and I don't feel as strongly about this incident as I do about gifts/trades...but it still fits with my over-all curiousity. Where have you drawn your line? How does it compare to others?

Now, I'm afraid there are some that may have an opinion, but don't want to post because they are afraid of criticism. I'd like to keep this friendly, and encourage participation.

I will be starting to "Report" posts that get personal, on either side of the fence that we have. I'd rather see an individual get a timeout, than see the thread locked.

If some of you have an issue with me still...send me an email or PM and I'll join you in your forum where you don't have to hold anything back...

For us (my hubby and myself) it has to do with integrity and principal. For us giving our word means a lot. Yes a coin is not a kidney but for us that is not the point...if we give our word that we will not sell a coin then turn around and sell it a week, a month or even a year later than we are not being trustworthy. For us giving our word means something. It's values that we also hope to pass on to our daughter too. It's more than just the coin.

Yes some people trade for a coin, then some time later something happens that they feel that their only option is selling them. But I think that a promise is a promise is a promise. If you agreed to take the coin into your possession and not sell it then you have options...contact the original owner, offer it for trade to someone else for multiple coins that can be sold, etc.

Thank you for adding your 2 geocoins worth!

I'm going to echo what Cornerstone4 said - keep this thread and the posts civil. You can all agree, or disagree without getting nasty.

If you all feel that it's not OK to treat somebody poorly over a coin, surely you must agree that treating somebody poorly over an opinion is just as bad.

Suspensions will be handed out before the thread is closed, so if the goal is to get the thread locked because of a few bad posts, that isn't going to happen. :laughing:

Cornerstone, thank you for trying to keep things civil and on track.

If I receive a coin in trade and was asked not to sell it but know it has value(100+ on ebay) is it wrong for me to trade (not sell) that coin away on a multiple coin for one coin trade? And do I have to pass along the "please do not sell" clause?

Personally, I would say no.

I had a Johnny Lacey coin, and that is exactly what I did. Now, the question remains, does the new owner have the same obligation? No, not really. I guess you could tell them that the original owner didn't want the coin sold...but it's up to them what to do with it.

Another reason why the "Do Not Sell 'Wishlist'" may not be a bad idea.

If I receive a coin in trade and was asked not to sell it but know it has value(100+ on ebay) is it wrong for me to trade (not sell) that coin away on a multiple coin for one coin trade? And do I have to pass along the "please do not sell" clause?

I would say it's not wrong as well, and yes, I would pass along the do not sell clause, as that was the original wishes. What the next person does is up to them, but you stayed true to the request. There are plenty of people you could trade it off to who would respect the wishes of the original owner, so I'm sure you'd have no trouble making the trade with a trustworthy person.

I get you completely; however, times do change and need trumps any silly verbal agreement.

Silly verbal agreement? Some would call a verbal agreement a legal contract. At the very least it goes to a person's integrity and honesty.

Silly verbal agreement? Some would call a verbal agreement a legal contract. At the very least it goes to a person's integrity and honesty.

Some might indeed. I would call it what the coin originator prefers and nothing more.

You paint with a very broad brush insinuating that someone who sells a coin the originator prefers you don't as one who lacks integrity or honesty. That person just might be the most honest person you'd ever meet, but s/he has just fallen on harder times.

I guess that may be the bottom line. We all have a different moral compass we try to live by. (The emphasis is added for myself, since I fall short of my own expectations frequently!)

Where I may look at my promise to never sell a coin as binding as a legal contract...others will not have the same compunction to do so.

I think most would agree that if you are in dire need you do what you need to, that's an argument that you're pretty much arguing all by yourself, as very few, if any would disagree with that.

It's the rest of the time that is being discussed here, and that's when integrity comes in.

I guess that may be the bottom line. We all have a different moral compass we try to live by. (The emphasis is added for myself, since I fall short of my own expectations frequently!)

Where I may look at my promise to never sell a coin as binding as a legal contract...others will not have the same compunction to do so.

Maybe the lesson here. Find out how a person feels before trading or gifting to them, and if it's not to the standard you keep, then don't do it.

I think most would agree that if you are in dire need you do what you need to, that's an argument that you're pretty much arguing all by yourself, as very few, if any would disagree with that.

It's the rest of the time that is being discussed here, and that's when integrity comes in.

Oh...you won't find me disagreeing that someone who trades just to turn around and sell is less-than-noble.

Some might indeed. I would call it what the coin originator prefers and nothing more.

You paint with a very broad brush insinuating that someone who sells a coin the originator prefers you don't as one who lacks integrity or honesty. That person just might be the most honest person you'd ever meet, but s/he has just fallen on harder times.

You say prefers like it was an option. When it is black or white as in "Do not sell this coin" and you accept the coin, it is under those terms, period. It isn't a preferance, it is a rule. If you don't like the rule, don't accept the coin. If you go against that, then you are not a person of trust.

Everytime someone lists a coin it is because they are in dire straights, or at least says they are. How are we to truly know. you can't take them at their word because they are already going back on it by selling the coin.

The fact remains there are other options that wouldn't tarnish your image or cause you to have respect lost. That is something you can never regain. I know of several people who I don't wish to deal with anymore because of these actions, and one I would have never in a million years thought was like that.

Very well said, Chantal, and I totally agree. In my humble opinion, this is all about respect...respect for the person that gave or traded the coin with you (if you were requested not to sell the coin), respect for myself (it must be the Klingon in me, but I feel that it is dishonorable to go back on your word), and respect for the members of this community.

Like Chantal said, if you do not want the coin anymore, then gift it away yourself (the feeling you get making someone else happy might be worth the lost $$). If you need the cash, trade the coin away for others you can sell or contact the person that gave you the coin in the first place and explain your situation. Most people can very be understanding, if you give them the chance.

Most people can very be understanding, if you give them the chance.

Excellent point.

It has been said repeatedly that a true friend would not be upset if you had to sell a coin they had gifted to you...after reading your point above, I realized that the reverse should be true as well...

A true friend would contact the original owner and discuss things beforehand. Then there wouldn't be any hard feelings to worry about.

Everytime someone lists a coin it is because they are in dire straights, or at least says they are. How are we to truly know. you can't take them at their word because they are already going back on it by selling the coin.

The fact remains there are other options that wouldn't tarnish your image or cause you to have respect lost. That is something you can never regain. I know of several people who I don't wish to deal with anymore because of these actions, and one I would have never in a million years thought was like that.

ditto

to the OP I think Hulabum's thread is a kinder and more useful way of dealing with the issue but good idea to air the issue it is up to the mods to shut down a flame thread and whack you over the wrist.

I think that if it is a coin that the maker does not want sold then it would not be apporpriate to sell the coin. Maybe you could trade the coin with someone else and then sell the coins that you traded for if you need the money. This way a coin that is not suppose to be sold does not get sold and the person who needs money can still get the money that they need.

So as someone new to the game can you tell me how the heck I would know which coins have stipulations and which do not? Maybe they all need to come with a legal document or something. I suppose I would try to live up to the requests of an owner if they told me not to sell a coin - especially since I risk being labeled a man of no integrity.

I don't know that I have a real opinion one way or another as it seems a bit dangerous to have one. However, I can't help but think why would anyone consider giving me a 'gift' if it can never, truly be mine? That doesn't really sound like a gift at all - and I do not wish to minimize the wonderful people that give out of the goodness of their hearts.

I have collected coins all my life (not geocoins) and have given some very special and pricey coins as gifts. I would hate to see them sold but I don't see it as my concern once I no longer own them. My part of the deal was the giving which was the real pleasure... the coin was the object I used to show my friendship. While the coin has some memories it can never replace the friendship and the real meaning of why I gave it in the first place.

If there are stipulations on something when you give it as a gift then isn't that in itself a bit of a lack of integrity as well? just a thought - not pointing any fingers. I heard it said you wanted other opinions on the subject.

Well said, Theotokos. I for one don't base my opinion of someones integrity on a geocoin. And if selling one of these "gifts" on ebay is so bad, what about the people who are buying them? I saw the GCF auction last week and recognized a few names of bidders, some of which are now jumping on this "sin to sell on ebay" bandwagon!

Well, if a kindly bidder wanting to return this GCF coin to its original owner can pay $127.00(the ending price) to do that, what a great thing.

I saw a guy buy a Moun10bike coin, I don't remember the price, but it was more than $127. He returned it to Moun10bike.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I know it happened once in the last month!

I saw a guy buy a Moun10bike coin, I don't remember the price, but it was more than $127. He returned it to Moun10bike.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I know it happened once in the last month!

Now.. I should know better than to chime in on this stuff, because I think my opinion is already known.

But if this is the case, its just nutty and Im amazed that these people have nothing better to do with their money.

Why not a charity, or a donation to something/someone? If my desired acts of kindness was purchasing 'Do not sell' coins on ebay to return them to their rightful owners, Id have to be pretty darn rich, or pretty darn, well... Ill leave that one alone.

The point is, I think this is likely the exception than the norm. ;)

Crazy, evil people. Trying to do something nice... They should have spent their money in a better way!

Seems to me they have made 2 donations this way. Someone was in a bad spot and felt they needed to sell a coin, they got the money they needed. And donating the coin back is a donation.

I guess if you see it that way...

To me its like someone buying a pet store puppy for the sake of 'rescuing' it. Yeah, you took it out of the situation, but lined the puppymills pockets with profit - allowing them to continue on business as usual.

Not a smart move.

IMO if someone is so against 'do not sell' coin sales on eBay, they should protest it by not bidding. ;)

But, just MY opinion...

I just don't believe in turning something good that someone did into something bad.

This isn't a living breathing puppy, it is a coin.

And these aren't puppy mills, they are people selling coins because they need the money. Which as you've stated, you have no problem with.

Absolutely - need overshadows want. Ive said time and time again, anyone who needs money can sell any coins I gave, traded, gifted, etc. I just couldn't see myself getting upset over that - a piece of metal does not represent my relationship with that person. A coin sale is not worthy of losing a friend. :yikes:

And, true.. its not a puppy - however, knowing that - I can see even less justification in buying one on ebay,

At least with the puppy, you have emotions to blame for the purchase. :sad:

I can rationally say "This offends me. Im not going to bid." and the coin isnt staring me down with big brown eyes, or showing me affection. LOL

I can say NO if Im truly bothered by it...

Again, just my opinion.... I guess I just don't get this one. ;)

So as someone new to the game can you tell me how the heck I would know which coins have stipulations and which do not? Maybe they all need to come with a legal document or something. I suppose I would try to live up to the requests of an owner if they told me not to sell a coin - especially since I risk being labeled a man of no integrity.

I don't know that I have a real opinion one way or another as it seems a bit dangerous to have one. However, I can't help but think why would anyone consider giving me a 'gift' if it can never, truly be mine? That doesn't really sound like a gift at all - and I do not wish to minimize the wonderful people that give out of the goodness of their hearts.

I have collected coins all my life (not geocoins) and have given some very special and pricey coins as gifts. I would hate to see them sold but I don't see it as my concern once I no longer own them. My part of the deal was the giving which was the real pleasure... the coin was the object I used to show my friendship. While the coin has some memories it can never replace the friendship and the real meaning of why I gave it in the first place.

If there are stipulations on something when you give it as a gift then isn't that in itself a bit of a lack of integrity as well? just a thought - not pointing any fingers. I heard it said you wanted other opinions on the subject.

You can't know, so be happy with your purchase and enjoy!! ;)

Wait a minute...I didn't think "being in a bad way" was an acceptable reason for selling one of these coins.

If you've read my post, I said that "you have stated", not what I feel. That is why I don't understand the attack on people doing a good thing.

As far as people being in need, I happen to understand that very well. Not alot of people know that I lost my job a while back. I've lived on unemployment and my savings. I cut every bill that wasn't necessary and moved to a smaller place. I've never been one to buy things I couldn't afford with credit cards, so that helps. I've sold coins on ebay, and I've made a little extra with new coins. So I know about things getting tight. What I haven't done is sold coins that I gave my word that I wouldn't. I have traded a few away for coins that it is fine to sell.

Crazy, evil people. Trying to do something nice... They should have spent their money in a better way!

Seems to me they have made 2 donations this way. Someone was in a bad spot and felt they needed to sell a coin, they got the money they needed. And donating the coin back is a donation.

No, you said someone was in a bad spot and felt they needed to sell a coin....