Just tried Cachemate software...

Pacific NW

Old Handspring Visor gathering dust + $8.00 Cachemate = PRICELESS

Printing out the cache pages is nice, but going "paperless" is something I wish I had tried a while ago!

This is just too cool. No more trying to remember the hint or the instructions to the cache. Hopefully this boosts my find rate. :D

It's great when that happens isn't it. B)

I just resurrected an old Palm III from the bottom of a draw and now have that loaded up with Cachemate. Father in law is about to decommission a Palm Tungsten E2, I might just have to steal it! I keep looking at PDA's with built in GPS's but at the moment the budget won't stretch.

Bring out the old kit!

Cust.

I just dusted off my older visor to use for this and to read my blogs every day while on break at the office. I just upgraded for one that I can use an SD card in and hope to put a few books on as well. Very nice indeed!

Paperless caching is so simple to just download a GPX file, toss it on both the GPS and the PDA and you're good to go. B)

Yeah, it's great. Until, there you are, more than 500 miles from your computer and home, on a happy happy caching vacation in a new and exciting place, and your Palm chooses that moment to crap out on you. Happened to me on vacation last week. The Palm Z22 (bought in Jan07) just refused to power up, even when plugged into the wall. Yes, I still had the caches in my GPSr, but no descriptions, let alone hints. Yes, I kept on playing, with several DNF's because they were multis and puzzles, and so I wasted time seeking what could not be found.

Luckily, for the first day, a caching friend had made a book of the caches in the area, and so a few hides that would have been zeros were OK, with his book's help. My friend was singularly unimpressed with my attempts to seduce him to the art of PDA caching. At first, he was intrigued. Until it died in my hands for no apparant reason.

So, now I am tripping the support dance with Palm. They did manage to get it to turn on after hours plugged into my computer (once I got home from vacation.) Now I have to wait and see if it craps out again before they will entertain thoughts of repairs.

Which means I likely have another date with blind caching in my near future.

So, will I make trip sheets? Heck no! I'm paperless! (and lazy!)

Yeah, it's great. Until, there you are, more than 500 miles from your computer and home, on a happy happy caching vacation in a new and exciting place, and your Palm chooses that moment to crap out on you. Happened to me on vacation last week. The Palm Z22 (bought in Jan07) just refused to power up, even when plugged into the wall.

<snip>

Bummer that happened to you . . . :laughing:

I have a Palm M500 and have used it for more than five years. Knock on wood I have never had a problem with it. :laughing: It has a built in battery, which holds a charge for a long time, and it connects to my computer with USB for easy transfer of data.

Yeah, it's great. Until, there you are, more than 500 miles from your computer and home, on a happy happy caching vacation in a new and exciting place, and your Palm chooses that moment to crap out on you. Happened to me on vacation last week. The Palm Z22 (bought in Jan07) just refused to power up, even when plugged into the wall.

<snip>

I had a Z22 do the same thing to me but I left in plugged into USB for a long time and it started working again! I think when they get really drained they can do that. So you might want to try that.
... I keep looking at PDA's with built in GPS's but at the moment the budget won't stretch.
It's just as well. PDAs aren't rugged enough to use as a primary GPSr, in my opinion.

I quite agree. The intention is not for it to be my primary, but to use as a Sat Nav in the car to get me close and to pop up any caches along a route if I'm off somewhere I haven't checked in advance. Then to take with me to double check the cache details and recent logs to make sure it isn;t a puzzle that needed some working out before hand or a huge multi I won;t have time for.

The display on my Palm III is pretty hopeless in bright sunlight, but better than nothing. Tungsten will be better, but I'm considering the Mio P550.

Cust.