Can somebody explain track logs please?

Seraphi

Hello, I've got a 60CSx and I'm a little confused about track logs, I have a few questions:

1) I went out for a walk and then looked at my log and saw loads of these "points" every so often along the walk, how often are these "points" recorded to the log? Are they recorded at a set time delay or when you get to certain locations?

2) How do people normally organise these logs, mine seem to be in a complete mess, should I be clearing the track log before each walk and saving it at the end to keep things in order? What I really want to acheive is storing each of my walks in MapSource under a different name so I can always look back to MapSource and see which walks I did on a certain day.

3) Why would I check the "Log Track To Data Card" button in the setup menu? What's would happen if I didn't?

4) How do I get the track logs off my GPS unit so I can share the walks I've done (one at a time, not all my walks) with other people so they can load it up and see where I've walked

Thanks!

Edited by Seraphi

1) In the setup, you can decide if the points in the log are dropped at time or distance intervals, or in automatic mode. Auto means that straight tracks get less points, twisty more.

2) Don't know anyone that's normal. See item 3 for something I think you'll be happy with. If you want to save a track for the future, and be able to see it on the GPS, you'll have to save it under a name, or stop recording new points. Otherwise, you'll most likely have it overwritten sooner or later.

3) If you store the logs to the card, you don't run out of space that quickly. Also, it will automatically arrange your logs by the date they were recorded.

Drawback is you can neither trackback these tracks, nor see them on the screen.

4) Connect the GPS to the computer via USB. Logs in internal memory can be uploaded to Mapsource, for example. Tracks on the card can be accessed by placing the GPS in USB drive mode, or by inserting the physical card into a card reader on the PC.

After I return from a Geocaching adventure, I download the Tracks and Waypoints to my computer. I save that day's tracks with a name that includes the day and location. For instance, the other day I went caching in the desert. That file is named: 100807_Desert. On my computer, I actually have Tracks going back to 2005. :D I can open them in Mapsource, edit them, share them with someone, or upload them to my GPSr if I need to follow previous Tracks.

By doing a "screenshot" of the tracks on your maps, you can get hike Profiles like this:

9ee3bd4b-4b26-45bf-a40d-4031bb1cd6a2.jpg

I can open them in Mapsource, edit them, share them with someone, or upload them to my GPSr if I need to follow previous Tracks.

How do you share individual tracks with other people? For example if I went for a 5 mile walk today, how would I just send somebody else the track of that 5 mile walk? Prefereably so that they could open it in programs such as Google Earth if possible and not just MapSource.

Edited by Seraphi

I save the individual Track as a .gpx file in Mapsource and email it to the other person. They can open a .gpx file in Google Earth, or Mapsource. From Mapsource, they can edit the track, if necessary, and then send the Track to their GPSr. I just did that today. A friend is heading out on a hike Friday and I sent him my tracks from when I hiked that trail last March. :D

One last question (I think):

In my MapSource I have one gdb file, and so far I have been using this to save everything to. I have two tracks on it; trackA and trackB. How do I just save trackA to one .gpx file and trackB to another, seperate .gpx file? If I save my file as a .gpx file and open it in Google Earth at the moment, it is showing both trackA and trackB.

Open another instance of Mapsource. Now, select the one Track you want and "Copy" it to the Clipboard. Now, "Paste" that track to the new, blank Mapsource.

Edit the track if you need or want to.

Save that track with a logical name in a logical folder on your hard drive. Under Geocaching, I have a folder named "Tracks" and also have folders for "Maps" and "Waypoints."

That's brilliant, thank-you so much, but it has led me to ask one more question... (sorry!)

If when viewing my track in MapSource I go View > View in Google Earth it copies over my track and the points for that track, but if I just save the track using MapSource to a .gpx file and open that in Google Earth it only shows the track and not the points, am i saving it incorrectly?

After I return from a Geocaching adventure, I download the Tracks and Waypoints to my computer. I save that day's tracks with a name that includes the day and location. For instance, the other day I went caching in the desert. That file is named: 100807_Desert. On my computer, I actually have Tracks going back to 2005. B) I can open them in Mapsource, edit them, share them with someone, or upload them to my GPSr if I need to follow previous Tracks.

By doing a "screenshot" of the tracks on your maps, you can get hike Profiles like this:

- how do you obtain a vertical profile window? Is there a CN or Topo map? I have a CN 2008 and I can't get this vertival profile view. Do I miss some functions on mapsource? thanks.

That's brilliant, thank-you so much, but it has led me to ask one more question... (sorry!)

If when viewing my track in MapSource I go View > View in Google Earth it copies over my track and the points for that track, but if I just save the track using MapSource to a .gpx file and open that in Google Earth it only shows the track and not the points, am i saving it incorrectly?

You can use this link to create a KML (or a KMZ) from your GPX that will accurately follow the track or route.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

After I return from a Geocaching adventure, I download the Tracks and Waypoints to my computer. I save that day's tracks with a name that includes the day and location. For instance, the other day I went caching in the desert. That file is named: 100807_Desert. On my computer, I actually have Tracks going back to 2005. B) I can open them in Mapsource, edit them, share them with someone, or upload them to my GPSr if I need to follow previous Tracks.

- how do you obtain a vertical profile window? Is there a CN or Topo map? I have a CN 2008 and I can't get this vertival profile view. Do I miss some functions on mapsource? thanks.

Right click on the Track and choose Track Properties. From that window, choose Show Profile. I move the first dialogue box way off to the side so I can have just the Profile showing over the map with the Track.

Right click on the Track and choose Track Properties. From that window, choose Show Profile. I move the first dialogue box way off to the side so I can have just the Profile showing over the map with the Track.

- my "show profile" button is grayed out. What's wrong with my track?

You can use this link to create a KML (or a KMZ) from your GPX that will accurately follow the track or route.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

Thanks, I'll try that out when I get a chance! Is this the *only* way to do it? I guess I could always just do the View > View in Google Earth option from MapSource and then save the track from Google Earth itself?