Terre Haute area?

otis89

Hi. I'm new here. I have ordered a GPS, but it hasn't arrived yet. Anyway, I was just wondering how many cachers there are in the Terre Haute area? I've seen several from around here. CYBret appears to be the most "famous." Who else is from the area? I'm from Marshall.

Don't let him fool you, Cybret is one of them furiners from illnOISe that keep crossing the border to Indiana where we have to drive them back across the line with sticks. :o

I'm from Greencastle and I go through Marshall from time to time. I deliver Concrete for Cash Concrete and the Amish buy alot from us. In fact we had a truck this today, but not mine. Welcome to the game/sport/hobby or whatever it is, and don't take any wooden nickles, unless the say Blackjeep Squadron on them. :mad::D

Ut oh, Otis. I'm not from Terre Haute, I'm from Kansas, Illinois. Just up the road from you.

And I'm NOT famous.....I'm SO famous I'm INfamous!!!

:D

Yeah, I knew you were from Kansas, but you're still from the general area. I posted Terre Haute instead of Marshall to hopefully get more people to respond. :mad:

Well, welcome to the game anyway! It's a shame you're about 2 weeks too late for the Moonshine event. We had a BLAST!

I'm still suffering from it. B)

Yeah. I wish I had gotten into this a little bit earlier. I would have loved to have gone! I've been there a couple times. Oh well. I bet there will be one next year, right?

Well, welcome to the game anyway! It's a shame you're about 2 weeks too late for the Moonshine event. We had a BLAST!

I'm still suffering from it. :grin:

Yeah. I wish I had gotten into this a little bit earlier. I would have loved to have gone! I've been there a couple times. Oh well. I bet there will be one next year, right?

We all wish we'd started sooner. Shoot, I didn't even know they had turned SA off until I found this place in 2004, then I bookmarked it and forgot for about a year unitl my nephew asked me one evening if I'd heard of it. SAo I came back, decided to look for a couple and signed up for a Premium Membership a week later.

After a few fun days of caching though I had already found everything within affordable driving distance of home so I've been a very part time cacher ever since.

If I ever win that lottery though, look out. I already have this cache on my watchlist for then. B)

I've been wanting to start for a long time, but I never could bring myself to justify spending money on a GPS. I finally broke down and bought one, and now I'm trying to patiently wait for it to arrive. I've tried to look for a few caches here in town, but haven't been successful. A GPS should make things much easier.

I started with an old Garmin 38 I bought off e-bay for $30.00. It found several caches but the reception was atrocious and if you lost the signal way back in the woods you couldn't get it back. I then upgraded to an Etrex Legend which served me well, but soon the upgrade bug found me again and I splurged on a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. It has awesome signal reception but an awesome pricetag as well, but it has sure helped out in my job as well though. I take a delivery 30 miles out in the boonies with just a small paragraphs worth of directions, mainly road numbers and turns. With the mapping I can see the roads I need before I get there and I know where I'm going. Except in Parke county, for some reason the maps have weird numbers for those roads, even though they are posted like all the other Indiana counties.

+

I started with an old Garmin 38 I bought off e-bay for $30.00. It found several caches but the reception was atrocious and if you lost the signal way back in the woods you couldn't get it back. I then upgraded to an Etrex Legend which served me well, but soon the upgrade bug found me again and I splurged on a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. It has awesome signal reception but an awesome pricetag as well, but it has sure helped out in my job as well though. I take a delivery 30 miles out in the boonies with just a small paragraphs worth of directions, mainly road numbers and turns. With the mapping I can see the roads I need before I get there and I know where I'm going. Except in Parke county, for some reason the maps have weird numbers for those roads, even though they are posted like all the other Indiana counties.

+

It's weird that you mention that, Cap'n. Parke county was one of the few that wouldn't work on my old mapset (the Garmin Roads and Recreation).

It works just fine on City Navigator 8 though.

Hi, Otisb89. I grew up south of Marshall, attended school here all 13 years and live south of town. My closest friend who goes by "rockdivas" caches with her kids as do I. There are a couple of folks from West Union too. Oh, and a lady that I go to Church with. She doens't cache alone but has gone with a cacher friend several times and enjoys it.

The next event that comes up in Terre Haute or in the Clark Co area...well...you HAVE to attend. I've been to several and have been able to put faces to the names I see in the logs. I have yet to have a bad meal, either! :blink:

We only allow CyBret on this side of the river & into Terre Haute on the odd days of the month & only between the hours of 10:00 AM & 2:PM.

Yup, and we we catch him over here any other time, we call the INS (IlliNOY Nazi Society) to come pick him up and take him back! :D

Well, I went out to search for one cache before it got dark. I couldn't find it nor could I get the GPS to tell me I was right on top of it. :huh:

Which one did you go for?

A Magellan obviously. ;):P

Nah, seriously I've only had the GPS show 0 when I was at the cache twice so far, normally they just get you close and you hunt from there. I found one where the GPS said I was 65 feet away from it when I found it, normal I'd say is 20 feet give or take 10 feet.

Been a long time but you are talking about my old stomping grounds. Went to one year 1942-43 at Eastern Ill. Joined Navy V5 program. Went to Navy V 12 in Terre Haute from there went to Greencastle,Ind. for the Navy Preflight Program. Returned to Eastern in 1946, graduated in

1948 and taught hs in Freeport, Ill 1948-52. I was born in Bible Grove, Il. which has no caches. Call Louisville my hometown. Love that country. It is pouring rain here in Bremerton, Wa. and you are having beautiful weather. Enjoy it by geocaching. Dick, W7WT

Well, I went out to search for one cache before it got dark. I couldn't find it nor could I get the GPS to tell me I was right on top of it. :D

Which one did you go for?

A Magellan obviously. :D:D

Nah, seriously I've only had the GPS show 0 when I was at the cache twice so far, normally they just get you close and you hunt from there. I found one where the GPS said I was 65 feet away from it when I found it, normal I'd say is 20 feet give or take 10 feet.

Yeah, I know they almost never say 0 when you're right on top of it. I'm just surprised I couldn't get it to show 0 no matter where I went.

Sigh...I meant which CACHE did you go for.

Sheesh....stinkin' Hosers muddying up the conversation! :D

Hmmmmm...40 on 40 #3 shouldn't be that tough. It's something you'll see a lot of when you get more into the game.

If I were you I'd head out to either Millcreek or Lincoln Trail and look for some of the bigger caches out there.

Edited by CYBret

I found the one in Lincoln Trail! However, my GPS was telling me to go 40 feet away from where the actual cache was. Is that about par for the course?

well, not really for good coordinates. If I remember right thats an older cache, and as with anything, technology gets better with age, and so does accuracy. Most caches I find seem to be with in 10 feet of the final location, and I think most consider with in 20 feet pretty decent.

I should probably have waited until I had figured more stuff out with the GPS. I messed around with it a little in my backyard and figured a little more of it out. I'm going to go see if I can find the cache in Lincoln Trail shortly.

I'm still curious which GPS you got. CyBret is to, but he lets me ask all the important questions here. :wub::D

Haven't used that particular model but I've heard plenty of cachers bragging about thiers so you have a good unit.

I advise taking it with you every you go for awhile and try out everything you can find on ot, that's the best way I've found for figureing them out. I can read the manual till my eyes fall out and I won't learn half as much as I will playing around with it for a day. :wub:

My brother went with me, and we went 7 for 7! I found 4, and he found 3. I don't know why, but last time I was just ignoring the spot where 40 on 40 #3 actually was hid. The coordinates were much better than at Lincoln Trail. They were all withing 10-20 feet of the cache.

First cache I ever "found" was a micro in a park. My nephew was with me, and my GPS led us straight to the spot. "Is that it?" he asked me. "No, I said, that's the control valve for the sprinklers".

We looked all over for several more minutes, then another cacher arrived, walked right up to the "control box", flipped it over and there was the cache magnetically attached to the fake lid. :P

Well congrats on finding the best hobby you could ask for. We live in Sumner,Il. You just missed our event by a week, called Cache-Slash-Fest. :P We had a little over 125 people from 5 states this year. :)

There is a local group of cachers which we belong to for Crawford County that is always taking new members if your interested.There must be at LEAST 35 cachers from Crawford county.

Now the big question............. When are you going to start hiding caches up there so we have a reason to come back, I only have maybe 3 caches left in that whole area to find, and the wife has me by the gas card :lol: and says not till there is more to get. :):lol: , but we will see :P

Once again congrats to jumping over to the obsession side.