GPS

KKringle

This is all new to me. I have found two caches on the East Coast with some friends who do this regularly. :mad: I found my first and second caches. :D Nut now I am back home. I need to purchase a GPS which has all the bells and whistles (that I will need), that is accurate, but also simple to use and get started. :o I have a tech learning curve without a lot of extra time to learn how to use a GPS. :) I do a lot of traveling and use my blackberry with a GPS device for my car. I need one for the trail, for hunting, fishing, hiking.

If there is someone in the 99155 area (Nespelem, WA), who could help me that would be great...but anyone.

Anyone have ideas?

If you can help me, I will not forget you at Christmas time.

KKringle

bhiggins@nsd.wednet.edu

This is all new to me. I have found two caches on the East Coast with some friends who do this regularly. :mad: I found my first and second caches. :D Nut now I am back home. I need to purchase a GPS which has all the bells and whistles (that I will need), that is accurate, but also simple to use and get started. :o I have a tech learning curve without a lot of extra time to learn how to use a GPS. :) I do a lot of traveling and use my blackberry with a GPS device for my car. I need one for the trail, for hunting, fishing, hiking.

If there is someone in the 99155 area (Nespelem, WA), who could help me that would be great...but anyone.

Anyone have ideas?

If you can help me, I will not forget you at Christmas time.

KKringle

bhiggins@nsd.wednet.edu

I would recommend the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx...if I actually had it in my possession!

(Arriving sooooon)

I did a bit of reading on the subject, and the GPSMap 60CSx seems the most well thought of and highly recommended.

I don't actually own one, but I am planning on buying a Garmin 60CSX. I think you'll find that most everybody on here will recommend that GPS. It has high sensitivity and is perfect for heavy tree canopies. You probably have some of that up in Washington. This GPS runs around $350. Check E-bay too. I see lots of them on there that are brand new. If that's out of your budget, get a regular ol' Garmin Etrex from Wal-Mart for $100. I've found lots of caches with an E-trex. I still have mine over 6 years later and it works just fine. I have really abused this thing too. It survives falls from high places, being submerged in lakes, being strapped to the handlebars on mountain bikes and dirt bikes at high speeds and dusty conditions. I've seen it first hand. My Etrex is sitting right next to me right now with two other GPSr's. I have the GPSMAP 76S which is a couple years old at least, and I also have a Foretrex 201 that I use when I'm flying my powered paraglider. I've used all three for geocaching. The Etrex is probably the best out of all three for geocaching. But I am getting ready to purchase the 60CSX. It's the mac daddy of GPS units for Geocaching. If you can afford it, get that one. It will replace all three of my GPS units and I'll use it for geocaching, driving and flying.

I don't actually own one, but I am planning on buying a Garmin 60CSX. I think you'll find that most everybody on here will recommend that GPS. It has high sensitivity and is perfect for heavy tree canopies. You probably have some of that up in Washington. This GPS runs around $350.

They are currently hovering about $330, and have a $50 rebate, bringing it to about $280.

(Amazon.com)

Previous posters have made two good recommendations, the Garmin 60 CSx and the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Garmin is the dominant brand right now, largely on the basis of their reputation for customer service. And definitely get a mapping unit. An on-screen map makes it much easier to see where you are and where you're going.

Here's a comparison of the Garmin 60 CSx and the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx:

-- Both appear to have roughly equal sensitivity. That's important when you're caching under tree cover. Trees block GPS signals, and older GPSr's are notorious for losing their signal under trees. 'High sensitivity' models, like the two recommended, can get reception even under heavy tree cover.

-- The Vista HCx is smaller, which means you can slip it into your pocket. But it also means a slightly smaller screen.

-- The 60 CSx is larger and sturdier than the Vista. The screen is larger, and you can bang it around a bit more than the Vista without damaging it. Hikers love the 60 CSx.

-- The 60 CSx is a bit more expensive than the Vista, and it has a better antenna. You can get a good fix whether the unit is being held vertically or horizontally.

As you may have guessed, I prefer the 60 CSx. That's because I'm a hiker. Either unit will serve you well for geocaching.

Edited by imajeep

I use a Vista Hcx and think it's great. I had a lower end Magellan before and there's a lot to love about the Vista, size, color screen, maps, electronic compass, ease of use (my kids can use it after a few little lessons of course). I find that I have a signal sometimes when I really don't think I should. I got mine when it first came out around $240 I think. Abuddy of mine has a 60 Cs and it's pretty sweet too, just a little big to me.

I would recommend either the Garmin Legend HCx or Vista HCx. Then you will want to get the City Navigator maps so you can use the GPSr for auto-routing. The Topo maps might also be helpful to you if you like to hike.

Thanks for your help on this. I am searching now with more information.

KKringle

I would recommend either the Garmin Legend HCx or Vista HCx. Then you will want to get the City Navigator maps so you can use the GPSr for auto-routing. The Topo maps might also be helpful to you if you like to hike.

Thanks for the information. This will help my in purchase. I, too, am from San Diego. I attended Rowan Elementary, Wilson Jr. High, Hoover High, and my last semester was spent at Christian High of San Diego. My old dad worked at Ferrari's Dairy in Mission Valley, Clingman's Dairy (now a mobile home park), and Carnation (either now or soon to be a parking lot or something like that--near Petco).

I've been in the PAC NW pretty much since my discharge from the USMC in '74. :yikes:

I work in the public schools in WA on the Colville Reservation. My brother teaches in Santee.

Take care. ;)

KKringle

I have the Garmin Map 60cx and LOVE IT. The menus are very intuitive, it's easily connected to the computer (via usb) and has a beautiful display. I use if for the trail AND for driving. Tons of accessories are available, too, of course. It's rugged, too. I've dropped it a few times (my breathing and heart stopping for several seconds after realizing my baby was in free fall mode), and no damage resulted. Be sure to buy display protective film (for Palms) on the gpsr display, and you should be fine. I can't say enough about this receiver.

I bought mine from Amazon. While some online retailers advertise cheaper prices, Amazon is a fairly respectable organization and has been around awhile.

After much debate between the 60CSX and the Vista HCX. I scoured the internet and did alot research on the two devices and the results that I noticed the screen size difference is almost null and the hcx uses less power is is slightly more accurate. I settled on the HCX. And I love it. Have had no problems with it and it is incredibly easy and accurate for both driving and caching.