'Discovered it' option for TBs

PTppl

Wondering: What is the Discovered option for? I'm sure everyone knows this but me, by now :D . But, for instance: when caching in a group, and one team 'finds' a TB in a cache already 'found' by the rest of the group; can the team that already 'found' the cache previously (day before) take credit for 'discovering' the TB? And, how does that work.

Thanks!

Discovering is for when you wish to log the bug or coin without actually moving it from the cache or event. It allows you to gain a stat and sometimes a new icon.

It was originally created to solve the issues of many people logging the same travelers usually provided at an event. So many people having to Grab or Retrieve it got confusing and the actual carrier kept getting the traveler yanked out of their inventory.

So in short, yes, everyone in your group can log a Discover. If one person took it they would log a Retrieve.

Anyone can revisit any cache to do a Retrieve or a Discover.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Wondering: What is the Discovered option for? I'm sure everyone knows this but me, by now :D . But, for instance: when caching in a group, and one team 'finds' a TB in a cache already 'found' by the rest of the group; can the team that already 'found' the cache previously (day before) take credit for 'discovering' the TB? And, how does that work.

Thanks!

It sounds like you are asking if you can "discover" a travel bug that was placed in a cache *after* you already found that cache a day earlier (in other words, you never saw or touched the travel bug). If that is the case, then I would say, No, you should not log a discovery in such a case.

Thanks!

It sounds like you are asking if you can "discover" a travel bug that was placed in a cache *after* you already found that cache a day earlier (in other words, you never saw or touched the travel bug). If that is the case, then I would say, No, you should not log a discovery in such a case.

hmmm, I hope that's not what they meant!

Correct, you have to have actually seen the thing, not just logging it virtually after someone passed along a number to the group.

Relax; it's "not what we meant". Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought. I don't know how to reword it much differently than the original post; but will try: We (my team) 'retrieved' the TB from a cache the rest of the group had visited the day before. We (my team) had not seen the cache before the day we nabbed the bug. I wanted to know if the rest of the group (that had previously visited the cache) could log a 'discovery', since the bug was not there on the day they originially visited. And, if it's not for this purpose, then can someone (who knows) explain what 'discovered' is for?

Thanks

We have some geocaching friends who live in a remote area without many caches. We often take coins we have found that week to their home where they 'discover' them. They get the cool icon on their home page and we return with the coins and place them back into caches in the more populated areas. Our friends may not otherwise be able to see these wonderful coins. We sometimes take interesting Travel Bugs as well but they don't bother discovering them as there are no icons involved. :D

Relax; it's "not what we meant". Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought. I don't know how to reword it much differently than the original post; but will try: We (my team) 'retrieved' the TB from a cache the rest of the group had visited the day before. We (my team) had not seen the cache before the day we nabbed the bug. I wanted to know if the rest of the group (that had previously visited the cache) could log a 'discovery', since the bug was not there on the day they originially visited. And, if it's not for this purpose, then can someone (who knows) explain what 'discovered' is for?

Thanks

Actually, now it sounds even more like "that's what you meant," except for the retrieved part. :D

However , if someone on your team retrieved the TB, and then showed it to other team members, then those other team members (who saw the TB), can legitimately log a "discovered". You don't have to see a TB in a cache to "discover" it.

Edited by UncleJimbo
Actually, now it sounds even more like "that's what you meant," except for the retrieved part. :D
Well, you'd be wrong. I don't know why you seem bent on making this out to be some sort of deceptive issue. Attitudes such as this don't make it very inviting to use the forums to learn. It's intimidating enough for newbies to post. <sheesh!>
However , if someone on your team retrieved the TB, and then showed it to other team members, then those other team members (who saw the TB), can legitimately log a "discovered". You don't have to see a TB in a cache to "discover" it.
We were ALL (my team and another) at the cache site and SAW the TB in the cache. Otherwise, I would not have come here asking for help. I wouldn't think it legitimate to log a discovery, unless one actually saw the TB in the cache wherein it was placed.
Well, you'd be wrong. I don't know why you seem bent on making this out to be some sort of deceptive issue. Attitudes such as this don't make it very inviting to use the forums to learn. It's intimidating enough for newbies to post. <sheesh!>
We were ALL (my team and another) at the cache site and SAW the TB in the cache. Otherwise, I would not have come here asking for help. I wouldn't think it legitimate to log a discovery, unless one actually saw the TB in the cache wherein it was placed.

I had originally took your post to be asking 'can someone revisit a cache to log a TB'

Answer: Yes.

Well, read the forums a bit more, and you will see that you can take nothing for granted. There are geocachers out there who trade lists of TB tracking numbers just so they can get more "discovered" icons in their profile.

Sorry for trying to help.

And, I am sorry for any misunderstandings.
Well, read the forums a bit more, and you will see that you can take nothing for granted. There are geocachers out there who trade lists of TB tracking numbers just so they can get more "discovered" icons in their profile.
And, see...that would never even occur to me that people would cheat themselves like that. How sad, actually. I am in this for the hunt. For the game, and to meet great new friends :mad:. Maybe I don't want to read / post in the forums any further...:D
I wouldn't think it legitimate to log a discovery, unless one actually saw the TB in the cache wherein it was placed.

I've been to many caches trying for FTF where a bunch of cachers all show up at the same time. We spend a long time chatting while looking for the cache and at the same time we 'discover' coins and travel bugs that others have brought along with them. Some we leave in the cache or trade, others we carry to our next destination. Part of the fun of geocaching is 'discovering'.

And, I am sorry for any misunderstandings.
And, see...that would never even occur to me that people would cheat themselves like that. How sad, actually. I am in this for the hunt. For the game, and to meet great new friends :mad:. Maybe I don't want to read / post in the forums any further...:D

I know what you mean. I can't understand that sort of behavior, and I hope those kind of people are the tiny minority of geocachers.

As I saw in another post somewhere, the people who post in the forums are only a small fraction of geocachers. So, I try to think of the positive majority out there.