Adding New Address Book.

mousekakat

Hi all,

I would like my address added to the address book. Please

You can e mail me at quacolight@msn.com.

I am new to the forum and geocoins and geocaching and I am just trying to learn the ropes.

An invite you shall get, check your mail and welcome to the geocoin forums :wub:

Not to take this topic off subject, but I believe that someone has used this list to further their own commercial gains. I received an email from cachecootie.com and when I went to their site and looked at the current leaderboard I recognized almost every single name there as folks who's names were listed in the geocoin forum user address book spreadsheet. I am wondering if everyone on the list received the same invitation to join up and play on cachecootie.com?

I for one am rather upset that someone here may have used this list for their own commercial purpose and abused the trust of everyone on the list. I have done a whois lookup on the registered owner of the domain name cachecootie.com and it is indeed one of the names on this list. I will not post the persons name who I suspect used this list for commercial purposes and spammed myself and other users, if you want to know it just do a whois search for the domain name.

Now I am torn between keeping my name on the list or removing it for fear of further spamming from the list. I will have to wait until I calm down a bit after this suspected violation of my trust before making my decision whether to remain on the list or not... :):angry::angry:

edited for spelling...

Edited by JohnMac56

Not to take this topic off subject, but I believe that someone has used this list to further their own commercial gains. I received an email from cachecootie.com and when I went to their site and looked at the current leaderboard I recognized almost every single name there as folks who's names were listed in the geocoin forum user address book spreadsheet. I am wondering if everyone on the list received the same invitation to join up and play on cachecootie.com?

I for one am rather upset that someone here may have used this list for their own commercial purpose and abused the trust of everyone on the list. I have done a whois lookup on the registered owner of the domain name cachecootie.com and it is indeed one of the names on this list. I will not post the persons name who I suspect used this list for commercial purposes and spammed myself and other users, if you want to know it just do a whois search for the domain name.

Now I am torn between keeping my name on the list or removing it for fear of further spamming from the list. I will have to wait until I calm down a bit after this suspected violation of my trust before making my decision whether to remain on the list or not... :angry::angry::blink:

edited for spelling...

Yep - I too am not happy that our list has been used for commercial gain by one of our list members. I think that is pretty low and I also feel my trust has been abused. Not a very good way to start a business venture IMO. :)

I received the e-mail too, but I didn't really link that it came from the address book here. Alas, I use my e-mail address for so many things I didn't really try to figure out where it came from. As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to that new game as well.

I don't really consider it spam (yet). Now if I start getting them every week and they make outrageous health claims, then I consider them spam.

I think the privacy issue with the forum address book is more about your home address than about your e-mail address?

Just my 2 cents.

Hello to all!

I recieved this invitation too! I didn't even think that they found my email from the list!

Can Somepone please help me in something??? I entered now in the list and Saw that my real name is not in the Name column but in the place where my country's name must be! :) I tried to fix it, but I can not! If someone can, is it possible to take my name to the column it has to be, and write in tthe country.... GREECE? Please!!!!

I saw that in the info I have that I have 15 coins in my collection... well it is not like that anymore, but the main problem is the other! ;)

Hello to all!

I recieved this invitation too! I didn't even think that they found my email from the list!

Can Somepone please help me in something??? I entered now in the list and Saw that my real name is not in the Name column but in the place where my country's name must be! :) I tried to fix it, but I can not! If someone can, is it possible to take my name to the column it has to be, and write in tthe country.... GREECE? Please!!!!

I saw that in the info I have that I have 15 coins in my collection... well it is not like that anymore, but the main problem is the other! ;)

All fixed

Hello to all!

Can Somepone please help me in something??? I entered now in the list and Saw that my real name is not in the Name column but in the place where my country's name must be! ;) I tried to fix it, but I can not! If someone can, is it possible to take my name to the column it has to be, and write in tthe country.... GREECE? Please!!!!

I saw that in the info I have that I have 15 coins in my collection... well it is not like that anymore, but the main problem is the other! :D

Hello Nikos my friend everything is ok and in the right place :ph34r: as for your 15 coins ;):):) but are you still the only cacher on the island? :P

Thank you so much!!! ;)

Yes, I do not have only 15 coins now, and I have some mystery coins too! :D I was blessed! :ph34r:

Unfortunatelly, I am still the only geocacher in the island! :)

I met a woman, an other geocacher from Rhodes, but she is living in Denmark, and a man from Rhodes who placed some caches too, is living in Belgium, so... I am the only cacher here!

I am still the only pathtager in Greece too! ;)

Sometimes I feel so lonely.... Thank God, we are 3 in the team, me, my sister and my brother in law, and many times my father and my mother are coming with us (sometimes, in the close to my house caches, I go with my dad!), and we have a nice time... otherwise... if I was completely alone.... :)

Well, unless my spam filter caught it, I did not get the email about cachecootie.com. I would be pretty upset if I did and suspected it came from the address list. The front page clearly states that the information contained on the list (which includes email addresses) is NOT TO BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL USE.

Whenever I invite someone to add themselves to the list, I ALWAYS mention in my email about not abusing the list and encourage them to read the whole front page before adding their info.

And UFGatorgirl...yes, I see what you mean about the information filled in from the "g" to the "m" sections - I recognize that as a joke that I got a couple of months ago through email. I just did a quick test and it's possible that whoever was updating the spreadsheet recently did it accidentally. If someone had copied that joke and forgot they had done so and then clicked on paste while highlighting a cell in the "Name" column, it is plausible that they copied the joke down through the list. If they did not know how to change it back and it got saved, voila! We now have a joke that has obliterated all the names in the Name column from G to M. If it was an accident, it's too bad they didn't come clean about it and ask for help.

Nevertheless, if you have a caching name that starts with G through N, go check out your info and put your name back in!

I was looking for the address list, but we no longer have a link to it and I can't find it.

From reading the latest posts it sounds like it's messed up now?

We should still be on it. Haven't gotten any spam from it and don't want any.

Is the list still good? And, if so, how do I find it?

Yes i have recived the email too . :D Not cool....

Me as well. Has anybody contacted them about where they got our emails? I might contact them today if I have some time

Yes I did and the response I got was vague. But another cacher/coiner did a little more digging and it is pretty clear who is behind the cootie venture. I know that I have made a trade with this person in the past but as the email blasts didn't go out to the general geocaching.com population and seems to have gone out to members of this list, I think it is safe to say that this list was used inappropriately. :D

i got one too, and as everyone else has said i did not think about the addy list.,, needless to say i thought it was from a current vendor that i had signed up for,, i did a lil digging myself and i dont reconise the name.

is this person in the addy list them selfs? id sure like to know who uses the addy list to send me promo mails so i can block them from doing it again, also cachecootie wont be making any money off me.

other then breaking the rules of the list, i dont think one email is going to hurt, but its not about that its about the trust issue,, id hate to see peps taking their names off the list , because when i need an addy or lost one from a mission or a trade email , or want to susprize someone..that thing sure does come in handy.

FYI, anyone can look up the website at Whois.com to see who the domain is registered to and then check the address book for a match.

The email response I received from the cc site indicated the person who thought of the game is a "geocacher from Georgia".

GOTICHA, funny thing is i havent seen this person around in awhile..wonder why?